The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 12:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
Thanks, I hope you knew the Nike Sweatsuit shot was not serious.
I did not take it seriously at all. I just wanted you to know that all standards do not apply when you think they should.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I did not take it seriously at all. I just wanted you to know that all standards do not apply when you think they should.

Peace

They apply in the world "I" live in, and that is the only world I am concerned with.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 01:25pm
Huck Finn

Uh...(with raised hand) when did professionalism - other than how you carry yourself during a game - and ethics become part of officiating? This is pretty entertaining actually.
It seems like no credit was given for those who don't take this test as a closed book exam. Also, credit wasn't given to those who don't take the test at all. Finally, credit wasn't given for those who are too lazy to do the test. I got the test early and finished it without problem so I don't care one way or the other.
Yes, I can see where ethics and professionalism should apply to the test and I agree 100%. However, it is laughable to apply those standards to one part of officiating when they are not applied across the board.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 01:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Uh...(with raised hand) when did professionalism - other than how you carry yourself during a game - and ethics become part of officiating? This is pretty entertaining actually.
It seems like no credit was given for those who don't take this test as a closed book exam. Also, credit wasn't given to those who don't take the test at all. Finally, credit wasn't given for those who are too lazy to do the test. I got the test early and finished it without problem so I don't care one way or the other.
Yes, I can see where ethics and professionalism should apply to the test and I agree 100%. However, it is laughable to apply those standards to one part of officiating when they are not applied across the board.
I completely agree.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 03:04pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Uhmmm, I am confused (yes, it happens all the time)...since when have ethics and professionalism NOT been an expected part of officiating?? Tomegun, could you explain what you mean here?
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 03:10pm
Huck Finn

I mean it is expected of us on the court, but that is where that expectation ends.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
I mean it is expected of us on the court, but that is where that expectation ends.
I'm pretty sure I disagree with this. Don't you remember the story from Mickey's camp about the D1 official who was out to dinner with another official and was bad-mouthing a coach and team? Turns out that school's AD was sitting in the next booth. Guess who wasn't at that team's next game?
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 03:21pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Seriously? So sitting in the stands during the JV game doesn't apply? Or in the parking lot as we are leaving a game site? Or at association meetings? I guess I just disagree and feel that part of being an official is being professional about every aspect of it...example: not griping about schedules - "I didn't get the big game Friday night, XYZ got it. That's not right." That sort of thing is very unprofessional and shouldn't be going on...maybe that's just me, but I would like to think it's more widespread than not...
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 03:44pm
Huck Finn

OK, you guys both have good points so let me correct myself and say that unethical things are done all the time in the officiating world as a whole. You guys are both right about officials' conduct, but that isn't what I had in mind.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
It's a synonym for "take a test".
... a very old and almost obsolete synonym.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
At it again, eh BushRef? You know, there's really is a reason that you've been thrown off this forum four(4) times to date and also had to change your name the same four(4) times to resume posting. That reason is that you're a low-rent integrity-free azzhole with the morals of a snake.

Of course, I also realize that nothing that I say will ever change your thinking anyway, Bush. People like you never change. I see that you already posted on September 17 this year, begging somebody to send you the NFHS basketball exam. I also see that you posted on another forum on August 14 also, begging someone...anyone....to send you the NFHS Volleyball exam. I haven't checked out the Football forum yet, but if you're holding true to form, you've already begged for that exam too. Heaven's forbid that you actually study and write an exam. That's just way too hard, isn't it.

Start posting, all of you one-post-a-year-only cheating jerks just like our BushRef. Hurry up and get this year's exam before you have to write it. Don't forget to put on your request "I'm just doing this for study purpose only". Nobody will believe you, but, hey, if it'll make you feel better, go for it. It gives me something to do anyway after you post.

What exams do you have to write to get certified way up there in Alaska anyway, Busher? Oh, never mind answering. I'll e-mail the ASAA and ask them myself; maybe I'll link to some of your requests and comments on this forum also. You're still on the Kenai Peninsula, south of Anchorage, aren't you? I'll let you know what the ASAA's view of you is; it shouldn't be too hard for them to figure out who you are. I'm sure that the ASAA will agree that you're doing just a great job representing all Alaska sports officials.
You're killoing me Woody. Can someone get me some popcorn please?
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I am accusing you of having "wrong standards." High standards are going to vary from one place to another. I bet if we talked about how you dress going to games those standards would vary greatly across the country.

Peace
How someone dresses vs. taking a test are apples and oranges. They may both standards but of a different nature.

Underdressing is not unethical. Perhaps unprofessional, but not unethical. Plus the manner of dress says absolutely nothing about the ability or character of the person.

Submitting answers to a test obtained in a manner not in line with the intentions of the testing body is unethical...its cheating. For example, If the organization administering the tests expects to hand out the test and have it's members take it on the spot, it would be unethical for any of those members to obtain the test or its answers prior to that time. It would also be unethical for someone to knowingly provide such a person with the test or its answers.

These principles are not variable or subjective. They are the basic to the definitions or honor and integrity.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 04:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
You're killoing me Woody. Can someone get me some popcorn please?
Do the initials JA and FA mean anything to you, Bush?
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 04:01pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
OK, you guys both have good points so let me correct myself and say that unethical things are done all the time in the officiating world as a whole. You guys are both right about officials' conduct, but that isn't what I had in mind.
Pretty much what I thought you were getting at...just wanted to make sure I understood where you were coming from. Thanks...
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Do the initials JA and FA mean anything to you, Bush?
Not a thing.
Closed Thread