The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 11:27pm
We don't rent pigs

study guide question written late at night?

In setting a stationary screen, team A has four players get down on all fours as in a football stance. Official rules that this is not a legal position in setting a screen. The ruling is correct.

That's it. That is the whole question. I don't know what they are asking. No B player was clipped. No B player stepped on one of these "screening players" head. (as far as I can tell) The act of getting down on all fours, in and of itself, is not against any rule that I am aware of. Someone enlighten me please.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

A player who extends an arm, shoulder, hip or leg into the path of an opponent is not considered to have a legal position if contact occurs.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Justaref,
The statement is true. It does not state that the official calls a foul on the play, merely that he rules the position an illegal one for setting a screen. Tony gave the rules reason why that is so.

Don't over-read it.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:15am
We don't rent pigs

But his "ruling" consists of what? If the question had read: Officials think to themselves, "not a legal screening position," I would have immediately said true. But without reference to contact, I see this question as written to be meaningless.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 07:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Football Stance

In setting a stationary screen, team A has four players get down on all fours as in a football stance. Official rules that this is not a legal position in setting a screen. The ruling is correct.

This play is almost word for word from the 2005 IAABO Refresher Exam. The citation given is Rule 4, Section 39 and Rule 10, Section 6, Article 3.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
This play is almost word for word from the 2005 IAABO Refresher Exam. [/COLOR][/B]
Billy, I'm sure that's why the question was asked here. Somebody gave out the '05 Refresher as a study guide (we do the same thing here). Unfortunately, there are several ambiguous and/or poorly worded questions on the Refresher every year. It's usually not as well-written as the official "Written Examination".