The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 11:33pm
We don't rent pigs

time-out eavesdropping

During a time-out, A1 stands on the outer edge of B's huddle, listening in. When it is brought to the officials' attention, A1 is charged with a technical foul.

True, I suppose. Sounds like a good example of unsporting behavior. But does this have a specific reference in any of the books?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

The 60-second time-out conference with team members shall be conducted within the confines of the bench area. Players shall remain standing within the confines of the bench area during a 30-second time-out.

You would certainly be justified is assessing a T.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
The 60-second time-out conference with team members shall be conducted within the confines of the bench area. Players shall remain standing within the confines of the bench area during a 30-second time-out.

You would certainly be justified is assessing a T.
I don't agree that that is the proper reason for the T. It does not require that team members have a conference or that they actually go to their bench areas during a time-out, nor does it say that this area belongs exclusively to that team. It only states that if they do have a conference it shall be conducted within that area.

That said I would rule that standing in the opponents' team area to annoy them or to listen in is dishonorable conduct and charge an unsporting foul.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Oct 23, 2006 at 12:29am.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 08:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wrong Huddle

"During a time-out, A1 stands on the outer edge of B's huddle, listening in. When it is brought to the officials' attention, A1 is charged with a technical foul." Is the official correct?

Almost word for word, this was question #69 on the 2005 IAABO Refresher Exam. The answer sheet stated "Yes" and the citations were Rule 10, Section 3, Article 7 and Rule 4, Section 19, Article 13.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 24, 2006 at 06:57pm.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
"During a time-out, A1 stands on the outer edge of B's huddle, listening in. When it is brought to the officials' attention, A1 is charged with a technical foul." Is the official correct?

Almost word for word, this was question #69 on the 2005 IAABO Refresher Exam. The answer sheet stated "Yes" and the citations were Rule 10, Section 3, Article 7 and Rule 4, Section 19, Article 3.
Really???

Why would they cite that article?
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Really???

Why would they cite that article?
Maybe it's a technical foul that neutralizes their advantageous position within their bench area? LOL

Maybe they meant article 13, just to remind us that it's also charged as a team foul? I really don't know.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 06:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sorry About Typo

Sorry about the typo. ChuckElias is correct. The second citation should read: Rule 4, Section 19, Article 13
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)