The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I noticed at a game I had last night that the coaches always know what we (the officials) are saying in our huddles. In our association, we meet at the three yard line after a score before moving into position. Every once and while we have some infomation to pass to the other officials. As a wing official, I make a point to communicate with the other wing. Anyway, I have began to notice at this particual school they always seem to know what is said. Could they be using a device to eavesdrop on us? is this legal? ethical?
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 12:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Give us an example.

What information do they seem to know?

Peace
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

i got to a point where i would just say something like, watch the end on your side, i think he may be moving. almost every time, the coach would make a comment about whatever we said. i am not a loud person, so i know he could not hear from the three yard line in a crowded stadium.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

He may be reading your lips.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

All whistles are sold with a special chip implanted in the plastic. The chip is actually a transmitter which savvy coaches can monitor if they have the right receiver. It also helps the guys over at the X-Files keep track of where all us zebras are at a given point in time.

If your fields are like most of mine, there are plenty of folks hanging around the perimter who could hear you and report it back to the coach. You never know who is listening, and that is good advice be it on a football field or on the telephone.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

I am an expert lip reader. There are more of us around than you can imagine. I'll bet someone in the pressbox with binoculars is relaying everything you say. You should face opposite the pressbox when talking or scratch your cheek when you talk. BTW any coach who wants to eavesdrop can't be much of a coach therefore laugh it off.
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Litmus Test

Michaelpr,

The best way to calm your paranoia and to know FOR SURE whether the coach is "bugging" you is to make a comment such as "The coaches wife and I have been having an affair for 2 yrs and the coach is too stupid to know it".

If you get an icy glare, or better yet attacked when you return to the sideline, then you can pretty much be assured that the coach is eavesdropping.

:0
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to buffalo_frenchy
Talking LOL

Yeah JMN That s a great idea !!!
I ll remeber it. LOL.