The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Suspension

Has anyone ever been reprimanded or expeled by their local or state organization for working for dual organizations. Here in the east coast we have many local official organizations, and if you work for one and decide to join another and be in dual organizations, can that affect your mrmbership in one of the organizations?

Last edited by jaym72; Tue Oct 17, 2006 at 04:08am.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 02:01am
In Memoriam

You're an independant contractor for tax purposes, but you still have to follow the rules/by-laws of any body(association) that you wish to join. Most associations set up their own rules and by-laws, in my experience. They also have general control of all officials under their umbrella. Iow, the answer is yes, that association does have the right to set their own rules and also the right to enforce them.

The association that I belong to has a similar rule btw. All officials must notify and get permission from their assignor first before accepting games from another assignor. The idea is that if you want the benefit of being assigned games by our association, then our association should have first call on your services. It can also be an insurance matter, depending on how your liability insurance is set-up. If you're receiving insurance coverage through your assigning body, then that coverage may not extend to games assigned by a different body.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

This is also a method used by many associations protect their area of service from competing organizations.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 03:14am
Do not give a damn!!

All of this would depend on the type of organizational structure you are under. The only association that matters where I live is the state organization. Local official's associations have no power over assignments and they definitely have no power over what another organization. Also an HS assignor can hire anyone they want regardless of affiliation as long as they are hiring you with a HS license. In my state we are independent contractors and we can work for whoever we want to in or out of the state. Also our HS license has nothing to do with college or JH and AAU assignments. This is the system I work under. It appears that the system I work under is very different than a great deal of the country. I do not think anyone can answer exactly what rules you fall under, but if you are really an independent contractor, not sure how one organization can have so much power over what you do in your officiating career. This is not something that might apply in that area but will not apply in another area.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaym72
Has anyone ever been reprimanded or expeled by their local or state organization for working for dual organizations. Here in the east coast . . .
What organization(s) are you currently in or thinking about joining? If you're talking about IAABO boards, I might be able to give you some info about dual membership.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 11:52am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
There are several guys who live near the Connecticut River who hold membership in Vermont & New Hampshire. Doesn't seem to be a real issue. Conflicts with annual meetings held simultaneously is the biggest problem, but attendance at one is an excuse for not attending the other.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 01:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quite a few years ago, here in Oregon, there was a association in another sport that "prohibited" its members from taking assignments from other associations. One of its members threatened to sue, claiming that made him an "employee", not an independent contractor. The State Bureau of Labor and Industries investigated and agreed. The association recinded its restriction to avoid fines and possible civil suits.

IANAL, but it's my understanding that the only time an association can restrict you from accepting work from someone else (without you being an employee) is if the other work would be detrimental to your performance with the first group and/or would be "harmful" to the first group. And - this has to be a stated policy and condition of your acceptance of their assignments.

Or maybe not.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Quite a few years ago, here in Oregon, there was a association in another sport that "prohibited" its members from taking assignments from other associations. One of its members threatened to sue, claiming that made him an "employee", not an independent contractor. The State Bureau of Labor and Industries investigated and agreed. The association recinded its restriction to avoid fines and possible civil suits.

IANAL, but it's my understanding that the only time an association can restrict you from accepting work from someone else (without you being an employee) is if the other work would be detrimental to your performance with the first group and/or would be "harmful" to the first group. And - this has to be a stated policy and condition of your acceptance of their assignments.

Or maybe not.
Would this include things like being a rec team coach?
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up suspensions

In our area you can work in multiple groups if you wish but the leagues they service must be approved by the provincial body. If you work a league that is not you will be suspended by the provincial body.