The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Last night I (U1) had this situation:

2:02 remaining in the 1st half, teams lined up for a FT, A1 shoots the FT. Ball in flight as B1 elbows A2 in the face (A2 out cold before he hits the floor). The situation nearly erupts but we immediately seperate all the players (no fight broke out) and summon the trainers/coach to attend to A2.

As a crew, we confer at center court and get all the details straight. The call is a flagarant T and B1 is removed from the gym.

EMS is called within two minutes as it is clear that A2 is seriously injured. After 10 minutes from incident and EMS has not arrived on scene yet, I suggest to my R that we suspend the game at this point and let the teams go to the locker rooms and we'll pick up where we left off after the scene is cleared. The R says he will confer with the coaches. Coaches disagree and wish to remain on the floor. Tension is growing among players, parents, and fans as 5 more minutes elapse (security has things well in check, still no EMS on scene). As we stand at the table discussing various details of events, I insist to the R that we send the teams in regardless of the coaches position but get no support for this move. I am totally disgusted by this but not trying to show it publicly.

15 minutes elapse from incident and EMS finally arrives (found out later that it was a volunteer fire dept). After an additional 10 minutes of triage and transport prep the floor is finally cleared. Order is restored and the teams are given 2 minutes to "warm-up" after standing around for nearly half an hour. The remaining 2:02 is played and then we go to halftime. Our halftime meeting was vibrant to say the least! R says he did not have the authority to suspend and resume as I had insisted because the teams did not want to do so.

Start of second half I convince my R to bring the coaches to the table and let them know that it is expected that they have their players on a tight leash. To their credit, each shook hands, apologized, and the second half was played without further incident.

Q. Do we have the authority to suspend play and send the teams to the locker rooms under 5.4.3 when the teams do not agree?.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

I think the R definately has the authority to suspend a game - see 5.4.1 comment in the casebook.

Also 2.8.1's comment would seem to apply in this situation.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I'll have to review the rule book to see if I could find a way to get away with it, but in a situation like that close to the end of the 1st half, I would see if I could follow principles used in both football and hockey:
1 - Send the players to the dressing room for a halftime period.
2 - Allow as much time as needed for the medical team to attend to the player on the floor. When the injured player is removed, have the timer start the 10 minute halftime period in order for the coaches to address the players and give them time to warm up.
3 - Start the 3rd quarter by adding the 2:02, allowing the 3rd to be a 10:02 quarter.

Doing this allows any potential situation to defuse and gets the players off the floor to reduce their anxiety. This is one of those situations where common sense and good personal skills prevail in a situation not specifically covered by the rule book.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

where do you get to do this in football??

Shadow,
We as officials do not have the authority to add time to the quarters. Those are precisely laid out in the rules. We can shorten periods, but we cannot lengthen them. In basketball or football, if you have a rules reference I will certainly like to look at it.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 02:59pm
Administrator

Robmoz:

Let me get the insignificant question out of the way first.

Why did you assess B1 with a flagrant technical foul. The ball was live when B1 made contact with A2. This was a flagrant persona foul not a flagrant technical foul. A2's substitute shoots the free throws for B1's foul and then Team A gets the ball for a throw-in on the end line in its front court, that is, assuming that B1 and A2 were lined up on the free throw lane.

Now the dificult part. It sounds like that you and your partner got through the game after that okay, but it is my oppinion that the R could have envoked R2-S3, yes I know people I used it, to instruct the players to their locker rooms or at least positions where they would be far far away from each other.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

I have absoluely seen it done it in football both in college and high school a few times over the years with both player injury and electrical storms in the area, and power outages being the reasons. And a similar event occurred in a college basketball game a few years ago with a power outage with a minute to go in the 1st half. I'll check my rule books when I get home, but I don't remember seeing it outlined anywhere. Again, I'm talking common sense here, not an explicit authorization by rule. Usually, in these cases, both coaches and game management appreciate this kind of thinking as you are still playing a regulation timed event. Certainly, you can't do it if a significant portion of time remains in the half, but I believe 2 minutes is a reasonable amount of time to make this kind of adjustment.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Or after "halftime", play the final 2:02 at the point of interruption, and start the 3rd quarter after 1 minute huddle. This probably works best with a 4 quarter basketball game.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

robmoz,
IMO you were right and your R was wrong. Common sense says to get these guys away from each other and away from the injured player. Safety must come first and your suggestion would have helped the safety of the injured player and probably helped with safety by preventing temper outbursts and retailation. Also, what good does having these guys stand around idle on the side of the court all of this time do? If I'm the R with you in this one, we do it your way.

PS. "You know what they say: -- Education is everything, but common sense, it ain't so common!"