Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Where did I say use it when you are between players?

I said close hard with a whistle...but I come to expect it from the old guard...I could say the sun will come up tomorrow, we will all pay taxes and die, and you'd still argue against it.
It's you that's arguing, BZ...
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Basically, I don't think using the whistle to break up fighting players is smart. But I did use the whistle once to get a coach to back off of me, and believe me, it worked! That one toot disabled him physically, and gave me a chance to get away. I suppose if a ref were anxious to split up players, a good firm blast MIGHT do the job.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 06:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

As a football official we do not do this. There are times when we do not blow a whistle at all under the right circumstances. This whistle is a tool, but it certainly is not going to override your voice or your presence near some conflict.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 07:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I said close hard with a whistle...but I come to expect it from the old guard...I could say the sun will come up tomorrow, we will all pay taxes and die, and you'd still argue against it.
I do not consider myself the "old guard." If anything I am very new school as compared to many officials that have been around the block. I am also not a spring chicken either and I did not get off the boat yesterday (Enough of the clichés already )

Also I am not arguing with your position, I am saying you do not need to use the whistle to accomplish order. Now if you disagree, that is your right to do so. I personally am not going to get upset either way you do it. You and only you will have to deal with the consequences if someone gets upset with your actions.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 07:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Or even (gawd forbid) used my whistle as a weapon.
One of the first things that they taught me many moons ago in Football was the recommended whistle usage. I was told to use a finger whistle instead of a lanyard/whistle combo. The rationale at that time was that there were fewer quick whistles if you had to bring a whistle up to your mouth. There were no plastic Fox40 whistles around then; we used metal Acme Thunderers with a finger grip. I was told to tape up the finger grip so that I wouldn't cut my fingers on a bare edge if I got run into or knocked down. I was also told not to never take the whistle off my fingers until I hit the dressing room after the game-- the reason being that if someone came at you, you could always defend yourself by smacking them in the nose with your whistle.

Never had to swing at anybody, but I sureasheck got threatened by fans more than a few times coming off the field.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 08:22pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
you could always defend yourself by smacking them in the nose with your whistle.
What about your walker?

I think there are some sitch's where the whistle will help, others where it you voice is better. I stopped a bball fight a few years ago with just my voice. I was close enough to verbalize and get between the two before punches were thrown. If I'm far away, I use my whistle, then drop it as I get closer. (To protect my Hollywood smile ) I think it comes with experience and knowing what to say and knowing how to influence people.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 08:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
What about your walker?
What is this? Dump on JR day?

God'll get you for that!
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

Take it easy junior, it 's not all about you.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for everyones input. It sounds like I handled it in an appropriate manner. I closed in rapidly, used a loud voice to tell them to "KNOCK IT OFF" and got between them. By this time I had the whole gyms attention, showed the signal for a double technical, and then let my partner finish. Then he came over so that we did not let the players out of our sight. From there we just moved on with coaches subbing them out, etc.. Thanks for all of the input. Good thoughts and ideas for me.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Your whistle is one of many "tools" that you have to control a game or establish your presence. In this scenario, I would blow the whistle and make the physical signal of "T" and distinguish the player. This not only grabs everyones attention, but also let's players, fans, coaches, etc. know that I've seen a specific act. Often times players retaliate if they think that no one saw the act or that no punishment is coming. The whistle provides a definitive point in time that the act occurs - it helps to combat the: "what did I do?", "didn't you see him?", "when did that happen?" - questions.

As for getting in between players, I'll give it an honest effort. If it gets too volatile, then I'm more inclined to back off and just take numbers and try to restore calm by voice, presence, and proximity. I'm not interested in getting in front of punches (or kicks, helmets, and body slams like the U. of Miami vs FIU football officials).
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 12:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yep and that 5'6", 150 pound official got there by knowing how to officiate and not because they have "the look" if you get my drift.
So, you got something against 6'4"/250lbs officials? I guess 6'4"/250lb officials don't know how to officiate in your opinion and only get by on their "look".

JRut's point had nothing to do with having "the look" as you call it. It has to do with physical presense in THIS particular scenario. A 6'4"/250lb official may not need to use his whistle because his physical presense may be enough to catch the offenders attention. That's all, nothing more, nothing less, and nothing against 5'6"/160lb officials.

GEEZ.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 01:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
JRut's point had nothing to do with having "the look" as you call it. It has to do with physical presense in THIS particular scenario. A 6'4"/250lb official may not need to use his whistle because his physical presense may be enough to catch the offenders attention. That's all, nothing more, nothing less, and nothing against 5'6"/160lb officials.

GEEZ.
You got the point exactly.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
nothing against 5'6"/160lb officials.
Hey! Don't drag me into this!!