The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 12:50am
Do not give a damn!!

I had a game on Tuesday where a kid scored his 2,000 point during the game on a 3 pointer. The game was stopped and they made an announcement to acknowledge the accomplshipment to the crowd which was a home game for the kid.

Now here is the question I have. The table did not tell us until he needed 3 points (in the second half) to hit 2,000. They called me over to tell me "when he makes 3 more points, we want to stop the game." They did not seem to tell the opposing coach about this at all. And when the kid hit a 3 pointer, they stopped the game with the buzzer and announced the point total over the PA system.

Now, would any of you have a problem with this. Not necessarily the announcement, but should have the opposing team known or been aware before the flow of the game was stopped. As a matter of fact, the 3 pointer gave the home team the lead, which I think was the first time of the game. Or at least since the first couple minutes of the game. And it did seem like the vistiting coach was kind of upset. Would you allow them to do this at this time or would you think that another time to stop the game would have been more appropriate?

Oh BTW, there was a kid on the visiting team that hit like four 3 pointers right after the very brief break and this gave them a huge momentum boost in my opinion (firing them up a little). So it did not seem to hurt them, but what if it did? What have others done in similar situations?

Peace
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

i would have no problem with the stoppage of play. though the V coach should have been notified.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 03:10am
Official Forum Member

The smart thing would have been for them to notify you and the visiting coach prior to the game. Then the game could be stopped at the first clock stoppage after the 2000th point.

In fact, when they told me that "when he makes 3 more points, we want to stop the game," I would have told them to wait until the first clock stoppage.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

This happened to me last year, I was not thrilled they wanted to stop the game at that moment, but I was kind of shouted down (I'm the spoil sport you know).

But, in our case the kid only needed like 4 points so it happened very early in the game, and the V coach was WELL aware of what was going to happen. In fact while all the mugging for the local paper, etc was going on he had a nice little TO.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I agree with tony. No problem with stopping the game, except that all parties should've been made aware of what was going to happen.

I once did a community college game in which we had three stoppages. One for A1's 1,000th point, then one for A2's 1,000th point, then one for A1's 1,000th rebound. I've never seen three milestones in one game before or since then.

Chuck
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 10:38am
Esteemed Participant

You know, I stopped the game when I made my 2,000th call...oh - never mind...
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 12:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Actually, I stopped a game when I gave my 2000th T. Of course, that was years ago. In fact, I usually stop it at every 1000. Not only that, but all the teams took their turn honoring me after I hit 10,000.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Actually, I stopped a game when I gave my 2000th T. Of course, that was years ago. In fact, I usually stop it at every 1000. Not only that, but all the teams took their turn honoring me after I hit 10,000.
At the rate I'm going, I'll probably reach 1,000 in a season or two.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

I agree w/ the other posters. It should have been cleared w/ the opposing coach ahead of time and stopped at the next dead ball.

Hey Rut, would you have let them stop the game if it was a girls game?

Z
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I agree w/ the other posters. It should have been cleared w/ the opposing coach ahead of time and stopped at the next dead ball.

Z
UConn, anyone?
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 04:01am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I agree with bsktbalref
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Z
That's not what the other posters said. BktballReff said the next "clock stoppage" and some followed his example.

I would have to say, "lighten up", give the kid and the team a little time to celebrate the unusual milestone.

I think the "next dead ball", which is right after the basket was made, is plenty appropriate. Of course the Visiting Coach and Officials should have been previously notified.

RookieDude
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I had a game on Tuesday where a kid scored his 2,000 point during the game on a 3 pointer. The game was stopped and they made an announcement to acknowledge the accomplshipment to the crowd which was a home game for the kid.

Now here is the question I have. The table did not tell us until he needed 3 points (in the second half) to hit 2,000. They called me over to tell me "when he makes 3 more points, we want to stop the game." They did not seem to tell the opposing coach about this at all. And when the kid hit a 3 pointer, they stopped the game with the buzzer and announced the point total over the PA system.

Now, would any of you have a problem with this. Not necessarily the announcement, but should have the opposing team known or been aware before the flow of the game was stopped. As a matter of fact, the 3 pointer gave the home team the lead, which I think was the first time of the game. Or at least since the first couple minutes of the game. And it did seem like the vistiting coach was kind of upset. Would you allow them to do this at this time or would you think that another time to stop the game would have been more appropriate?

Oh BTW, there was a kid on the visiting team that hit like four 3 pointers right after the very brief break and this gave them a huge momentum boost in my opinion (firing them up a little). So it did not seem to hurt them, but what if it did? What have others done in similar situations?

Peace
The buzzer didn't stop the game, did it? Someone had to blow a whistle. When you realize what's up (parents coming out with flowers), and that it hadn't been arranged ahead of time, charge them with a timeout. Let them have more than 60 if they need it, but that should satisfy the opponents, allow them the opportunity to celebrate, and a fair price to pay for not communicating ahead of time.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

It is customary in our area for the referees and visiting coach to be told about a potential 1000 point (or whatever) to occur during the game. It is also customary to immediately stop play after that scored hoop to allow the celebration, complete with flowers, parents, coaches, etc. all getting photos taken (usually by the newspaper).

The ones I have witnessed have been very exciting for everybody, a nice tribute to the player, and never an issue with the visitors. Even if your situation occured without the prior notice, I think the refs would have to handle things as usual
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
You know, I stopped the game when I made my 2,000th call...oh - never mind...
LOL. I'm gonna stop the game when I get my first RIGHT call.