The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

I think what you are experiencing is forever present throughout your career. i also find myself a little uncomfortable when working in a new gym. But that experience that we all need to gain before going to the next level is part of the process of gaining "your stripes". With getting the experience, you learn to adapt and perform.

The thing is....you are always asked to perform. To focus on the task at hand and to be perfect and then get better. lol. That focus for the game is the fun part to me. To referee and be part of a team. Getting the calls right and being a good partner. if you are not enjoying the moment and learning from your experiences...the time to do it is now.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

One major thing that I have been told to do is to have someone video-tape the game, and then to watch the entire game first,then to go back and watch the game and see what you did as an official. You can see a whole new picture of yourself when you can pause, rewind and see what position you should have been in. Our commissioner will sit and watch the game with us and tell us what he thinks.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swvaref
One major thing that I have been told to do is to have someone video-tape the game, and then to watch the entire game first,then to go back and watch the game and see what you did as an official. You can see a whole new picture of yourself when you can pause, rewind and see what position you should have been in. Our commissioner will sit and watch the game with us and tell us what he thinks.
This is excellent & sound advice. Looking at tape helps your game to the highest level. It helps you in so many ways. From proper positioning to whether you look athletic (for those of you who are into that)- tapes don't lie. Usually. To me watching tape helps you from making the same mistakes over and over. You can correct yourself.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

The best camps I've been to are ones where you go to the tape. This summer we had a really good one where they really raked you over the coals so to speak. We recieved lots of feedback about little things like not leaning on one leg during plays because it slows you down just a little when you go the other way. It was great. As far as working up a level, when I do I really concentrate on the things I know I can control, my mechanics and my hustle. Make sure to get the obvious and ask questions of the more experienced members of the crew. I'll ask, "Are you seeing anything I should be getting that I'm not?" and such.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
The best camps I've been to are ones where you go to the tape. This summer we had a really good one where they really raked you over the coals so to speak. We recieved lots of feedback about little things like not leaning on one leg during plays because it slows you down just a little when you go the other way. It was great. As far as working up a level, when I do I really concentrate on the things I know I can control, my mechanics and my hustle. Make sure to get the obvious and ask questions of the more experienced members of the crew. I'll ask, "Are you seeing anything I should be getting that I'm not?" and such.
That's good stuff. Caution: Don't be overly critical. They remember what you call and not what you don't. MOST OF THE TIME. Call the obvious. Don't go looking for stuff to call. Most of the time they (the infractions) call themselves. When you go looking you run into trouble. I hope that makes sense.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the great input. Many of the comments hit right on the mark and confirm the things I have been doing. However, thanks for reminding me of selling a call and taping a game. During the summer I talked to a mentor of mine and we discussed taping each other this season. The tape never lies. I have been taped at camps I have attended that included voice over comments from the trainers and I need to pull them out a look at them again. Probably one of the best things I did a few years ago as I started doing HS BB was watching the varsity games. My focus was on game management and what calls did they make that I might of past on. I know these 2 small but incredibly important areas helped my progress.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refhoops
Thanks for the great input. Many of the comments hit right on the mark and confirm the things I have been doing. However, thanks for reminding me of selling a call and taping a game. During the summer I talked to a mentor of mine and we discussed taping each other this season. The tape never lies. I have been taped at camps I have attended that included voice over comments from the trainers and I need to pull them out a look at them again. Probably one of the best things I did a few years ago as I started doing HS BB was watching the varsity games. My focus was on game management and what calls did they make that I might of past on. I know these 2 small but incredibly important areas helped my progress.
They will. One last thing...don't ever lose that "student of the game" mentality that you have. I'm serious. If you referee the FINALS of your ultimate game don't feel like you have arrived. Keep getting better and help others and remain humble. That's class.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is it Roger or Mike?
I know roger, but not him, It's Charles R.....
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 01:27pm
We don't rent pigs

the original topic was......

When moving up from one level to the next tell yourself (this has a large degree of truth) that this will be easier. In a way it is easier because the higher the quality of the game, the easier it is to call. (less than 40 held balls per half) The speed of the players involved may make an official's job more physically demanding, but better players tend to do more things right, less violations to call, less trips up and down the court because of unforced errors (a pass 10 feet over somebody's head) etc. To me, if you call a 6th grade girls game first, calling an 8th grade boys game afterward is like getting out of jail.

Lonesome Dove