The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Well shoot...

OK...I was so looking forward to the season. The two weeks ago I was involved in a serious auto accident. The fractured left wrist will come out of the plaster right about the start of the season. However, I also have a transverse process fractuer of L4 in the back.

I stepped on a treadmill this weekend and just took a leisurely 2 mile walk and the next morning could barely get out off bed. Doctors just say to "use my judgement on what to do...time will heal it." Anyone have (or know of anyone) with experience related to this type of injury? If walking 2 miles two weeks later makes it hurt this bad, how long before I can run full out for a basketball game?

I'm lucky to be breathing, but this is going to get frustrating real fast.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 11:59am
Courageous When Prudent

Larry,

I say forget worrying about officiating for the time being. Your health is way too important to jeopardize a full recovery by rushing back into basketball.

If you really need a fix for your jones, talk to your assignors and see if they need any help with the training program(s) for new official or maybe see if you could be an observer for this season.

But, please, don't rush back just for the sake of getting on the court.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Wanna keep the scorebook or run the clock?
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Larry, take care of yourself and don't do anything that would keep you from coming back down the road.

Sometimes the human body will amaze you. Last year I broke both of my arms in early November and still worked my whole schedule except 1 mid-Nov game. I will not tell you it was without some discomfort but it was just to hard to give it up.

Good luck to you and I'm glad you're not hurt any worse.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS
OK...I was so looking forward to the season. The two weeks ago I was involved in a serious auto accident. The fractured left wrist will come out of the plaster right about the start of the season. However, I also have a transverse process fractuer of L4 in the back.

I stepped on a treadmill this weekend and just took a leisurely 2 mile walk and the next morning could barely get out off bed. Doctors just say to "use my judgement on what to do...time will heal it." Anyone have (or know of anyone) with experience related to this type of injury? If walking 2 miles two weeks later makes it hurt this bad, how long before I can run full out for a basketball game?

I'm lucky to be breathing, but this is going to get frustrating real fast.
Had a friend/fellow official fall off a roof and suffered a similar injury. The guy was fit, but he had to take the year off. He came back last year on a limited basis (2 nights per week) and has been good to go.

When it comes to a back injury, time is better spent getting as healed as possible because back surgery is down the list for making a full recovery. Most doctors will tell you that your back will never be the same.

Take it easy now, and come back at the right time, don't rush it. Good luck.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 09:34pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Maybe this guy could help you...

Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNews
I say forget worrying about officiating for the time being. Your health is way too important to jeopardize a full recovery by rushing back into basketball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
Larry, take care of yourself and don't do anything that would keep you from coming back down the road.
I'm no doctor, but I have to say that these two pieces of advice sound pretty smart to me. Good luck with the recovery. Get healthy first, then get back out there.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Larrry --

I'm with BNR and Ref Daddy in recommending running the clock, keeping the book, or doing some evaluating or training. You will learn a lot, and be that much further down the road when you are ready to come back. The only consideration would be what you might have to sit on, and whether that would adversely affect your back.