The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 07:35pm
M.A.S.H.

Referee Magazine - July 2006

This issue contains the NFHS Rule Changes. My first game is Thursday so I've been going over them preparing.

If you have your copy handy, turn to page 72. If you look at the picture of the young lady with the ball, they use this as an example stating that the wristbands and headbands meet the color requirement, however the wristbands are illegal due to their placement.

If you look just under her knees, it appears these are some type of something (seems to be more decoration, than a purpose). Yet, in this example they fail to state whether these are legal or illegal. I'm assuming they are illegal. Am I correct?
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 07:51pm
In Memoriam

I don't get the magazine, but it's sounds like a patellar tendon strap used for Osgoode-Schlatter disease. They're fairly common and there' s all different types of them. They are also legal. They're considered to be a type of brace.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Oct 02, 2006 at 07:59pm.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 08:50pm
M.A.S.H.

JR,

Doesn't really look like a brace, more like just a piece of material.

Also, something common around this area is some players wear leg weights. Legal?
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
If you have your copy handy, turn to page 72. If you look at the picture of the young lady with the ball, they use this as an example stating that the wristbands and headbands meet the color requirement, however the wristbands are illegal due to their placement.
That's correct, and there is a sentence in the right hand column of text which says, "Sweatbands worn on the biceps (as shown in the accompanying photo) are illegal."

Quote:
If you look just under her knees, it appears these are some type of something (seems to be more decoration, than a purpose). Yet, in this example they fail to state whether these are legal or illegal. I'm assuming they are illegal. Am I correct?
They look like elastic bands to give support to or help with the placement of the kneecaps.
Whether tape or some other material is used for this purpose, I consider it legal.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Oct 03, 2006 at 03:37am.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 02:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
JR,

Doesn't really look like a brace, more like just a piece of material.

Also, something common around this area is some players wear leg weights. Legal?
Tanner, a patellar strap look something like this--worn just under the knee. There are all different kinds of models. They are legal. I know that McDavid makes some models also.

Leg weights are illegal. They aren't basketball appropriate.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Tanner, a patellar strap look something like this--worn just under the knee. There are all different kinds of models. They are legal. I know that McDavid makes some models also.

Leg weights are illegal. They aren't basketball appropriate.
Some players are also rolling and wrapping a piece of prewrap around the knee to help with this. I almost made a player take it off a year or so ago until the coach explained what it was for.