The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Throw-in from the end line after a made basket.

I know this will set some of you off because I remember this thread from several months ago, but here is a question from the Texas Association of Sports Officials' (TASO) September 29th Exam #2.

"After A1's made basket, BI attempts a throw-in from the end line and the ball is intentionally kicked by A2. The throw-in following the violation will be a spot throw-in."

TASO's official answer is False.

Just thought you'd like to know.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds right to me from 7-5-Art. 7
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 03:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by euby
Sounds right to me from 7-5-Art. 7
Only if the "kick" occurred at a location that would cause the resulting throw-in to be from the end-line. If the "kick" occurred above the free-throw line then the throw-in would be from the sideline.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

7-5-7
After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundry line.

I must not get it...could you clarify this for me?
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 03:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
7-5-7
After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundry line.

I must not get it...could you clarify this for me?
It's right there in your own post.

If the foul or violation occurs along the endline, the you retain "running the endline" privileges. But say B3 fouled A3 at halfcourt during A1's throw-in. The ensuing throw-in would be from a sideline spot nearest the foul.

Same with a "kicked ball". Say A1 attempted a long bounce pass and the kick occurred at 3-point line at the top of the key. Then the throw-in would now be from a sideline spot adjacent to the top-of-the-key.

I'm assuming the question from the quiz is assuming the "kicked ball" is committed by a player directly defending the thrower-in, therefore the ensuing throw-in would be anywhere along the endline.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 03:53pm.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

So I guess the throw in ends once the ball is kicked...boy that is splitting some hairs there!

The throw in ends at the same time the violation occurs...the rule says before the throw in ends.

Got it...not trying to be a smart ***...just trying to learn!
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 03:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So I guess the throw in ends once the ball is kicked...boy that is splitting some hairs there!

The throw in ends at the same time the violation occurs...the rule says before the throw in ends.

Got it...not trying to be a smart ***...just trying to learn!
I think when you were reading the rule you were missing the part I hilighted above.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

No...I understood that... but I was putting to much into A team retains this privilege if the scoring team comits a violation
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Euby -- after a made endline when a team goes to attempt their throw in and there is a foul or infraction on the throw-in and in result the following throw-in will be the endline then that team retains the right to run the endline. Seems like the train of thought would be that the team would be at a disadvantage on a spot-throw in because of a foul or violation by the opposing team.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 04:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
No...I understood that... but I was putting to much into A team retains this privilege if the scoring team comits a violation
No, instead you just weren't reading far enough into the same sentence - as BadNews pointed out.

Read case book play 7.5.7SitB. If you not sure of what a rule really is trying to say, always look for a corresponding case book play that might explain the ruling in more detail.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 04:55pm.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

DeeCee...that really doesn't seem right in a normal train of thought for a team to lose the right to run the baseline on a violation by the other team does it?

Not a very good rule.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
DeeCee...that really doesn't seem right in a normal train of thought for a team to lose the right to run the baseline on a violation by the other team does it?

Not a very good rule.

He agrees with you.
He told you that the team RETAINS the right to run. That is the rule and you are correct about why.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 11:40am
We don't rent pigs

Question: How often do you see a kicking violation 20 feet away from the pass? Answer: Not very often.
Whoever wrote the question pictured the kick right next to the end line, as it would happen 98.7 (or more) % of the time. An oversight? Perhaps. But not a big deal. Take the route of least resistance and move on.

Lonesome Dove