The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
BTW...I would never make a player take off a brace or item of clothing/jewelry or tell them to take it off. I do not have that authority or responsibility. All I'll do is tell the coach his player can't play with it on or properly covered if appropriate. How they handle it from there is not my concern. It aint gonna be because of me that someone removed a brace & injured themselves.
"Made her take it off" refers to telling the coach it was illegal, as well as informing the player. My apologies for my phrasing of that post. If she plays without it the player/doctor/trainer/coach becomes responsible at that point. I am merely protecting other players.

Last edited by Kevzebra; Thu Sep 28, 2006 at 12:51pm.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Follow up question.....

Is the use of pre-wrap legal under NFHS rules to control the hair?
Is it a pre-wrap band?

If not, no.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 03:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevzebra
"Made her take it off" refers to telling the coach it was illegal, as well as informing the player. My apologies for my phrasing of that post. If she plays without it the player/doctor/trainer/coach becomes responsible at that point. I am merely protecting other players.
Kev, what was illegal about the brace? Having hard plastic components and a sharp edge on a hinge usually don't make any brace illegal, according to my understanding of both the FED and NCAA rules anyway. Am I missing something?
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What rule would you apply?

There's never been any rule in any NFHS rule book concerning the color of the shorts afaik. There sureasheck isn't one in the NFHS book now afaik either.
I agree JR.

Rut has told that story before and he never said then either what rule prohibited the different shorts.

Quote:
Follow up question.....

Is the use of pre-wrap legal under NFHS rules to control the hair?
I haven't seen anything in a basketball book or interp, but two years ago the NFHS issued the following soccer interpretation:

2004-05 NFHS Soccer Rule Interpretations
SITUATION 16: Can players use prewrap as a hair-control device? RULING: Yes, if not tied in a knot. (4-2-2)

That's the best I have for you on this one, JR.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The problem isn't what the string is made of; the problem is that the string is not a band. A band is continuous.
Not according to Merriam-Webster Online:

Main Entry: 1band
Pronunciation: 'band
Function: noun
Etymology: in senses 1 & 2, from Middle English band, bond something that constricts, from Old Norse band; akin to Old English bindan to bind; in other senses, from Middle English bande strip, from Middle French, from Vulgar Latin *binda, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German binta fillet; akin to Old English bindan to bind, bend fetter -- more at BIND
1 : something that confines or constricts while allowing a degree of movement [this certainly defines what a hair band would do, but it doesn't say it has to be continuous]
2 : something that binds or restrains legally, morally, or spiritually
3 : a strip serving to join or hold things together: as a : BELT
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 02:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89

Main Entry: 1band
Pronunciation: 'band
Function: noun
Etymology: in senses 1 & 2, from Middle English band, bond something that constricts, from Old Norse band; akin to Old English bindan to bind; in other senses, from Middle English bande strip, from Middle French, from Vulgar Latin *binda, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German binta fillet; akin to Old English bindan to bind, bend fetter -- more at BIND
1 : something that confines or constricts while allowing a degree of movement [this certainly defines what a hair band would do, but it doesn't say it has to be continuous]
2 : something that binds or restrains legally, morally, or spiritually
3 : a strip serving to join or hold things together: as a : BELT
So....are you saying that a string tied at the back is legal under NFHS rules?
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89
The NFHS doesn't use Miriam or Webster.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

This is good stuff...grown men arguing over a hair piece

Only officials would do that
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 09:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by euby
This is good stuff...grown men arguing over a hair piece

Only officials would do that
Only officials would argue about what a rule should be, especially a rule where liability might possibly be involved for allowing a player to use illegal equipment, no matter how small the chances are of an injury happening.

If a player gets a finger caught inside another player's illegal headwear and breaks it, guess who is potentially liable?
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If a player gets a finger caught inside another player's illegal headwear and breaks it, guess who is potentially liable?
Um, I would say the coach, because we asked them before the game started if all of their players were legally equipped.

Alright, I know in this litigious society that won't automatically keep us safe from liability, much less keep us safe from litigation. But I think euby was simply pointing out the irony that many follically-challanged people that would have no personal experience with hair products need to now become experts in the finer points of hair management.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If your insurance company's lawyer loses this one, sue him for incompetance. Officials are not liable for hair bands. If anything, the school would be liable for not dressing their player properly. Do you worry about players getting injured by shoelaces?
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
If your insurance company's lawyer loses this one, sue him for incompetance. Officials are not liable for hair bands. If anything, the school would be liable for not dressing their player properly. Do you worry about players getting injured by shoelaces?
Now, I will say this - if a player is injured due to our purposely ignoring a rule, we most definitely could be sued and lose. We will probably be a part of the whole lawsuit, school, coach, AD, district, manufacturer of the string, etc. etc. ad nauseum..., but we would be a part of it. So, knowing and enforcing the rules plays a big part in our being immune from liability.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
But I think euby was simply pointing out the irony that many follically-challanged people that would have no personal experience with hair products need to now become experts in the finer points of hair management.
You got it!
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 10:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Now, I will say this - if a player is injured due to our purposely ignoring a rule, we most definitely could be sued and lose. We will probably be a part of the whole lawsuit, school, coach, AD, district, manufacturer of the string, etc. etc. ad nauseum..., but we would be a part of it. So, knowing and enforcing the rules plays a big part in our being immune from liability.
It would be negligence if we ignore a rule and someone gets hurt. We are discussing something that is not even official or very clear. If the NF does not want a string, then they should say they do not want a string. Outside of this, we are speculating what the legality might be considered. I have never put something in my hair to keep it tied up. I have no personal knowledge of why someone uses one type of hair piece as compared to another.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 10:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Um, I would say the coach, because we asked them before the game started if all of their players were legally equipped.
And if a player that is illegally equipped comes onto the floor after that, are you gonna allow it because the coach said it was OK, or are you gonna enforce the rule?

Good luck in any lawsuit if you don't enforce safety rules....and illegal headbands can be a safety issue.