The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

First games of the year...

Well, I just got off the phone with an official in my area who needed to unload games.

I've got a Girls V triple header Saturday morning.

Now I haven't done any basketball since early May, and usually won't work until the football season is over, but I was home for the weekend, and figured why not.

Now embarassingly I haven't really been to a training meeting this year, so is there anything I should know big that's changed since last year mechanics wise? Or rules wise, but I thought that the major changes had to do with sweatbands and blood.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Here are some you might encounter

5-10-1 The exact time observed by the official may be placed on the clock when a timer's mistake has occurred.

4-47-4 A fourth warning for delay was added for failure to have court ready to play folloeing any time-out.

9-2-11
Changed the procedure for delay warnings to only one warning for any of four delay situations (previously three)

Signal Established a new signal for a team-control foul. The arm is extended and the fist is punched.

There are some others but mostly about blood and uniforms...these are the tactical changes.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

2006-07 Rule Changes:
- Changed the guidelines for headbands and sweatbands.
- Added that a school logo/mascot is also permitted on the pants, compression shorts, sweatbands and headbands.
- The exact time observed by the official may be placed on the clock when a timer’s mistake has occurred.
- A fourth delay situation was added for water on the court following any time-out.
- Changed the procedure for delay warnings to only one warning for any of four delay situations (previously three).
- Established a new signal for a team-control foul. The arm is extended and the fist is punched.
- Clarified that a player who has any amount of blood on his/her uniform shall be directed to leave the game until the situation is corrected.
- Clarified that a closely guarded count is terminated when an offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past a defensive player.
- Clarified that an unsporting foul can be a noncontact technical foul which involves behavior not in accordance with the spirit of fair play.
- Clarified that a player is one of five team members who are legally in the game at any given time except intermission and that during an intermission, all team members are bench personnel.
5-11-2 Clarified that during a 30-second time-out, no on-court entertainment should occur.

2006-07 Points of Emphasis:
- Concussions
- Uniforms
- Time-outs
- Intentional Fouls
- Rule Enforcement/Proper Signal Use
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref18
Well, I just got off the phone with an official in my area who needed to unload games.

I've got a Girls V triple header Saturday morning.

Now I haven't done any basketball since early May, and usually won't work until the football season is over, but I was home for the weekend, and figured why not.

Now embarassingly I haven't really been to a training meeting this year, so is there anything I should know big that's changed since last year mechanics wise? Or rules wise, but I thought that the major changes had to do with sweatbands and blood.
You are working a Varsity Triple Header? Is this normal? How fresh will you be after game one...two...and the start of game three if you haven't worked at all?
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
You are working a Varsity Triple Header? Is this normal? How fresh will you be after game one...two...and the start of game three if you haven't worked at all?
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it is varsity teams in a weekend tournament?
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it is varsity teams in a weekend tournament?
Some people will call it a Varsity game if there are Varisty age players in the game even if it is a non-scholastic game and few, if any, of the players are actually on (or could even make) the school's varsity team.

(I don't do this, but I know there are people who do).
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Some people will call it a Varsity game if there are Varisty age players in the game even if it is a non-scholastic game and few, if any, of the players are actually on (or could even make) the school's varsity team.

(I don't do this, but I know there are people who do).

Should we still be working three varsity age games in the same Saturday morning? We still need to have some respect for the game and make sure we can give the same effort in the second half of game three as we do in the first half of game one. It can't be all about the money!
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 01:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Should we still be working three varsity age games in the same Saturday morning?
Are these real games or are these games still in the off-season. If they are in the off-season, I would assume that these games are not a regular stop-clock game.

Quote:
We still need to have some respect for the game and make sure we can give the same effort in the second half of game three as we do in the first half of game one. It can't be all about the money!
Respect for the game has nothing to do with this during any part of the season or off-season. If the games are assigned that way, you do what you are told.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Are these real games or are these games still in the off-season. If they are in the off-season, I would assume that these games are not a regular stop-clock game.
Why assume that? Nearly all of the off-season school-related games I work are normal stop-clock games. Only a few are running clock. Even if they are running clock, they're only a little shorter than regular games as the time put on the clock us most always more than 8 minutes/quarter. The running clock is just used to make the length more predictable and make the table's job easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Respect for the game has nothing to do with this during any part of the season or off-season. If the games are assigned that way, you do what you are told.
No, I decline the games if I feel I can't do them well. The players deserve that. It may be too many in a row or too many in any given time window to be sharp and focused .
I'd NEVER accept 3 varity games in a row (we work 2-man here). I even hesitate to work 2 varsity games in a row. It depends on the intensity I expect in the game. I don't take extra games for the money...EVER.

However, If we did work 3-man, I'd easily do 2 games without having to think about it and possibly 3. The benefits of 3-man certainly include reduced physical exertion.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why assume that? Nearly all of the off-season school-related games I work are normal stop-clock games. Only a few are running clock. Even if they are running clock, they're only a little shorter than regular games as the time put on the clock us most always more than 8 minutes/quarter. The running clock is just used to make the length more predictable and make the table's job easier.

No, I decline the games if I feel I can't do them well. The players deserve that. It may be too many in a row or too many in any given time window to be sharp and focused .
I'd NEVER accept 3 varity games in a row (we work 2-man here). I even hesitate to work 2 varsity games in a row. It depends on the intensity I expect in the game. I don't take extra games for the money...EVER.

However, If we did work 3-man, I'd easily do 2 games without having to think about it and possibly 3. The benefits of 3-man certainly include reduced physical exertion.
It's 3-person, not just man!
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
Depends on the crew. While I seldom work on a three-man crew with a female, I do occassionally work a three-man crew where one of the males definitely ain't a man
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Depends on the crew. While I seldom work on a three-man crew with a female, I do occassionally work a three-man crew where one of the males definitely ain't a man
lol - okay......

3-man
3-person
3-male
3-female

all the same i guess
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Perhaps you should actually look up the definition of man before you get too bent out of shape and break something...

From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/man

1.an adult male person, as distinguished from a boy or a woman.

2.a member of the species Homo sapiens or all the members of this species collectively, without regard to sex: prehistoric man.

3.the human individual as representing the species, without reference to sex; the human race; humankind: Man hopes for peace, but prepares for war.

4.a human being; person: to give a man a chance; When the audience smelled the smoke, it was every man for himself.

[ and many more definitions]

As you can see, #2 and #3 clearly support the usage of man as I used it.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
lol - okay......

3-man
3-person
3-male
3-female

all the same i guess
You forgot three-whistle.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Perhaps you should actually look up the definition of man before you get too bent out of shape and break something...

From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/man

1.an adult male person, as distinguished from a boy or a woman.

2.a member of the species Homo sapiens or all the members of this species collectively, without regard to sex: prehistoric man.

3.the human individual as representing the species, without reference to sex; the human race; humankind: Man hopes for peace, but prepares for war.

4.a human being; person: to give a man a chance; When the audience smelled the smoke, it was every man for himself.

[ and many more definitions]

As you can see, #2 and #3 clearly support the usage of man as I used it.
Sure - thanks for explaining. =)