The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Designated Throw in Spot violation Rule 7-62 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28500-designated-throw-spot-violation-rule-7-62-a.html)

sfcjdb Tue Sep 26, 2006 06:07am

Designated Throw in Spot violation Rule 7-62

Rule 7-6-2 states that "The Thrower shall not leave the designated throw in spot until the ball has been released on a throw in pass." It also referances Rule 4-42-6, which says the same thing but adds that the pivot foot and traveling rule are not in effect. So the question is as a referee what signal is used, I could not find any referance to it in the book.

RonRef Tue Sep 26, 2006 06:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfcjdb
Rule 7-6-2 states that "The Thrower shall not leave the designated throw in spot until the ball has been released on a throw in pass." It also referances Rule 4-42-6, which says the same thing but adds that the pivot foot and traveling rule are not in effect. So the question is as a referee what signal is used, I could not find any referance to it in the book.

Do not you the traveling signal like most like to. Just point to the spot of the throw in and verbalize that the players violated and moved from the designated spot.

Jurassic Referee Tue Sep 26, 2006 06:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfcjdb

It's in the rule book....under "SIGNALS" at the back(surprise, surprise :D). See signal #25- <i>"Free throw, <b>designated spot</b>, or other violation"</i>

Welcome to the Forum.

euby Tue Sep 26, 2006 07:55am

I had one last year that threw me...its a really tight gym in a middle school game and the bleachers were maybe 2 feet off the boundry line.

I give the kid the ball for a spot throw in along the sideline and the kid jumps up on the first row of bleachers to throw it in. Of course I tweet and call a violation...coach goes off (he had obviously done this before) and says its within the confines of throw in rules. I just told him to have a seat and enjoy the game.

What is your ruling?

SamIAm Tue Sep 26, 2006 08:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by euby
I had one last year that threw me...its a really tight gym in a middle school game and the bleachers were maybe 2 feet off the boundry line.

I give the kid the ball for a spot throw in along the sideline and the kid jumps up on the first row of bleachers to throw it in. Of course I tweet and call a violation...coach goes off (he had obviously done this before) and says its within the confines of throw in rules. I just told him to have a seat and enjoy the game.

What is your ruling?

You should have moved the defender back 3 feet, giving the in-bounder 5 feet to move back if he chooses.

edited in later -
Per euby's response below, I would whistle up a throw-in violation.

euby Tue Sep 26, 2006 08:20am

The defender was double teaming the other guard...he wasn't anywhere near the throw in spot.

Jurassic Referee Tue Sep 26, 2006 08:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by euby

What is your ruling?

Violation.

That was a topic of a thread here a few years ago. The consensus was that the thrower could back up <b>to</b> the stands, but climbing <b>into</b> the stands gave him an unfair advantage not intended under the rules.

Raymond Tue Sep 26, 2006 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Violation.

That was a topic of a thread here a few years ago. The consensus was that the thrower could back up <b>to</b> the stands, but climbing <b>into</b> the stands gave him an unfair advantage not intended under the rules.

I don't know. It's not explicitly forbidden, so it can't be a violation, can it. :p

Jurassic Referee Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I don't know. It's not explicitly forbidden, so it can't be a violation, can it. :p

Good point....smartazz.:D

http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=1466

Note that officials far smarter than I am- Mick and BktBallRef- said that it's illegal.

Jimgolf Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:16am

Wouldn't going into the stands consitute an unauthorized leaving of the floor?

Jurassic Referee Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Wouldn't going into the stands consitute an unauthorized leaving of the floor?

Nope, for the purposes of the pertinent rule-- R.9-3 and casebook play 9.3.2SitD --the "floor" is considered as being as being the playing court in-bounds.

M&M Guy Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Nope, for the purposes of the pertinent rule-- R.9-3 and casebook play 9.3.2SitD --the "floor" is considered as being as being the playing court in-bounds.

Ok, just because I'm grumpy about not watching any post-season baseball, here's a question:

Gym with a wall along the baseline, with a doorway close to each of the sidelines. Endline throw-in, A1, goes out one door, comes back in the other door and completes the throw-in within 5 seconds. Whatcha got?

Junker Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Ok, just because I'm grumpy about not watching any post-season baseball, here's a question:

Gym with a wall along the baseline, with a doorway close to each of the sidelines. Endline throw-in, A1, goes out one door, comes back in the other door and completes the throw-in within 5 seconds. Whatcha got?

Nothing if the player grabs me a dog and a soda at the concession stand while they're out of the gym.
:D

Nevadaref Wed Sep 27, 2006 02:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy

Technical foul. A similar play appeared on ESPN a few years ago.

M&M Guy Wed Sep 27, 2006 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Technical foul. A similar play appeared on ESPN a few years ago.

Actually, I don't think that was the play - the one on ESPN was the player leaving the court through the door, coming back in the other door, taking the pass in the corner and hiting the open shot. In other words, in the ESPN play the player leaves the court for an unauthorized reason, which is now a technical foul in NFHS. In my play, the player is <B>supposed</B> to be OOB, to make the throw-in, and also has the endline to run. So what would make the player's actions T-worthy, considering they're allowed to be OOB?

Ok, here's the reason for my original question - I think Jimgolf has a good point in considering a T for going into the stands to make the throw-in, for the same reason I believe my play could be considered a T as well. Here's my (twisted?) logic: we all agree the playing court is considered "inside the lines", because during normal play, all the players should be in-bounds. So how come we don't issue a T every time a player has a throw-in from OOB? Because they are now "authorized" to be OOB, and the playing court has expanded to include the area that player is allowed to be in, whether it's the 3-foot wide space for the spot throw-in, or the entire endline. If they step outside that playing area, it's a violation. If they go outside that area on purpose, with the intent to gain an unfair advantage and possibly deceive, than it's a T. In euby's play, the player didn't trip over the stands (violation), they purposely went into the stands to gain an unfair advantage. Since the coach admitted teaching that, I would think at least one T (and more than likely two) is in order.