The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Designated Throw in Spot violation Rule 7-62 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28500-designated-throw-spot-violation-rule-7-62-a.html)

Nevadaref Wed Sep 27, 2006 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Actually, I don't think that was the play - the one on ESPN was the player leaving the court through the door, coming back in the other door, taking the pass in the corner and hiting the open shot.

Correct. That's why I said the play was similar NOT the same.
Quote:

In my play, the player is supposed to be OOB, to make the throw-in, and also has the endline to run. So what would make the player's actions T-worthy, considering they're allowed to be OOB?

He's authorized to be OOB, but not out of the gym!

Quote:

If they go outside that area on purpose, with the intent to gain an unfair advantage and possibly deceive, than it's a T.

Agreed.

M&M Guy Wed Sep 27, 2006 03:16pm

Uh, oh. Nevada agrees with my reasoning.

Maybe I need to re-think?...

:D

Texas Aggie Wed Sep 27, 2006 06:00pm

Quote:

What is your ruling?
Depending on the sitch, I would have stopped play, put him back down on the floor and readministered the throw in, saying, "you can't get up on the stands."

Camron Rust Wed Sep 27, 2006 06:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Depending on the sitch, I would have stopped play, put him back down on the floor and readministered the throw in, saying, "you can't get up on the stands."

Do you do the same if he steps inbounds?

Ref Daddy Fri Sep 29, 2006 07:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie

Depends on the grade level.

Player got an absolute advantage.

Jurassic Referee Fri Sep 29, 2006 09:11am

Quote:

In other words, in the ESPN play <font color = red>the player leaves the court for an unauthorized reason, which is now a technical foul in NFHS</font>.

Oh?

Leaving the court for an unauthorized reason is a violation under NFHS rule 9-3-2. Delaying return after being <b>legally</b> OOB is a "T" under NFHS rule 10-3-3.

You knew that....which is probably why you went back and deleted the cite above.

Gotcha! :D

M&M Guy Fri Sep 29, 2006 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Oh?

Leaving the court for an unauthorized reason is a violation under NFHS rule 9-3-2. Delaying return after being <b>legally</b> OOB is a "T" under NFHS rule 10-3-3.

You knew that.

Dang it, I knew that. :mad:

Thanks for the catch. I was so busy trying to make my point about the playing area, and just screwed up the actual penalty.

I can't wait to actually get back on the court so I can take my mind off baseball.