The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Hey, Zeke, Woody, Chuck, Jeff, TJ, Bush, Brandan and anyone else...

..... who has enough experience to form an opinion....

I'd be interested in your opinions separately first, before you start responding to each other. Is it the case that anything that's not explicitly forbidden is legal? Or is it the case that anything that not explicitly allowed is illegal? Or some combination of the two? Does this generality include the Fundamentals, the Handbook stuff, and the Simplified and Illustrated?

Discuss in no more than five pages, double spaced, 1" margins. Extra Credit will be given for references to more than one ruleset. This test due by 5 pm Sunday. No credit will be given for tests turned in after that time.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
..... who has enough experience to form an opinion....

I'd be interested in your opinions separately first, before you start responding to each other. Is it the case that anything that's not explicitly forbidden is legal? Or is it the case that anything that not explicitly allowed is illegal? Or some combination of the two? Does this generality include the Fundamentals, the Handbook stuff, and the Simplified and Illustrated?

Discuss in no more than five pages, double spaced, 1" margins. Extra Credit will be given for references to more than one ruleset. This test due by 5 pm Sunday. No credit will be given for tests turned in after that time.
I've just been Howard Sterned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,710
The rules generally state what may NOT be done. Unless specifically stated otherwise somewhere, anything not prohibited is legal. There are a few exceptions, of course, and they mostly are detailed in the Case Book.

That's my take on it.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The rules generally state what may NOT be done. Unless specifically stated otherwise somewhere, anything not prohibited is legal. There are a few exceptions, of course, and they mostly are detailed in the Case Book.

That's my take on it.
Sorry....not that anal.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 719
Rainmaker,

Do you have homework/a column to write?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 48
Send a message via MSN to kiwiref Send a message via Yahoo to kiwiref
FIBA rules state that a decision on anything not specificaly covered by the rule book can be made by the referee. (46.13)
I would venture to say that anything not covered by the rules would be decided on based on the principles of fairness, sportsmanship and within the spirit of the game.
__________________
KIWIREF
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiref
FIBA rules state that a decision on anything not specificaly covered by the rule book can be made by the referee. (46.13)
I would venture to say that anything not covered by the rules would be decided on based on the principles of fairness, sportsmanship and within the spirit of the game.
The elastic rule.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I'd be interested in your opinions separately first, before you start responding to each other.
zeke, did you read this part of Juulie's post?

Feel honored. At least she asked for your opinion. Why not offer, rather than immediatly responding to others?

Hey Dan, that's twice now you haven't been included. It's my virgin time.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Thu Sep 21, 2006 at 10:17pm.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 08:02am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Honestly, I haven't thought very much about the question, Juulie. If you made me choose at gunpoint, I would say that if it's not specifically prohibited, then it's allowed. It does work the opposite way in a few instances, but mostly, I think if it doesn't say that you can't do something, then you can.

Some of those things that you can't do are covered by phrases like "including, but not limited to. . .". So it's not explicitly prohibited, but it's covered under the rule.
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 08:06am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
zeke, did you read this part of Juulie's post?

Feel honored. At least she asked for your opinion. Why not offer, rather than immediatly responding to others?

Hey Dan, that's twice now you haven't been included. It's my virgin time.
I know... and welcome to the club...

Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 08:26am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
[QUOTE=rainmaker Is it the case that anything that's not explicitly forbidden is legal? Or is it the case that anything that not explicitly allowed is illegal? Or some combination of the two? Does this generality include the Fundamentals, the Handbook stuff, and the Simplified and Illustrated?

[/QUOTE]Just ask yourself "What would Woddy do?"

Btw, I also agree with Nevada and Chuck.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 10:08am
Esteemed Participant
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4,775
Who the heck is "TJ"???? Is that kinda like "Woddy" for me?? Sweet, I've been woddy-ized...better than being left off the list - right Dan?!!

My take would be similiar to Chuck's and Nevada's...if it isn't specifically prohibited, it MAY be legal...that's where judgement comes in - and that's why we get paid the big bucks to do what we all love to do...
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 10:22am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 43
NFHS Rule 2-3 would be my bet.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 11:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a little pink house
Posts: 5,289
Send a message via AIM to Back In The Saddle Send a message via MSN to Back In The Saddle Send a message via Yahoo to Back In The Saddle
I know I wasn't invited to this party, but I've always understood that, generally speaking, if it's not explicitly illegal, it's legal.
__________________
"It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and then do your best." - W. Edwards Deming
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I know I wasn't invited to this party, but I've always understood that, generally speaking, if it's not explicitly illegal, it's legal.
Well, that's as clear as mud.

Glad you're "so full of doubt." I would be concerned if you were "so certain of yourself."

I know I'm not supposed to respond in ths thread but I just had to.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thank you, Jeff Nelson! Dakota Softball 7 Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:29pm
Has anyone heard from Brandan? BktBallRef Basketball 43 Sat Sep 17, 2005 08:56pm
Jeff Kellogg mattmets Baseball 10 Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:03pm
Jeff Kellogg edman42 Baseball 4 Thu May 05, 2005 11:56am
"Dave-ism" from my pal Jeff Mark Padgett Basketball 10 Thu May 11, 2000 11:27am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1