The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hey, Zeke, Woody, Chuck, Jeff, TJ, Bush, Brandan and anyone else... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28412-hey-zeke-woody-chuck-jeff-tj-bush-brandan-anyone-else.html)

rainmaker Thu Sep 21, 2006 06:27pm

Hey, Zeke, Woody, Chuck, Jeff, TJ, Bush, Brandan and anyone else...

..... who has enough experience to form an opinion....

I'd be interested in your opinions separately first, before you start responding to each other. Is it the case that anything that's not explicitly forbidden is legal? Or is it the case that anything that not explicitly allowed is illegal? Or some combination of the two? Does this generality include the Fundamentals, the Handbook stuff, and the Simplified and Illustrated?

Discuss in no more than five pages, double spaced, 1" margins. Extra Credit will be given for references to more than one ruleset. This test due by 5 pm Sunday. No credit will be given for tests turned in after that time.

zeke Thu Sep 21, 2006 07:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
..... who has enough experience to form an opinion....

I'd be interested in your opinions separately first, before you start responding to each other. Is it the case that anything that's not explicitly forbidden is legal? Or is it the case that anything that not explicitly allowed is illegal? Or some combination of the two? Does this generality include the Fundamentals, the Handbook stuff, and the Simplified and Illustrated?

Discuss in no more than five pages, double spaced, 1" margins. Extra Credit will be given for references to more than one ruleset. This test due by 5 pm Sunday. No credit will be given for tests turned in after that time.

I've just been Howard Sterned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol.

Nevadaref Thu Sep 21, 2006 07:51pm

The rules generally state what may NOT be done. Unless specifically stated otherwise somewhere, anything not prohibited is legal. There are a few exceptions, of course, and they mostly are detailed in the Case Book.

That's my take on it.

zeke Thu Sep 21, 2006 07:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The rules generally state what may NOT be done. Unless specifically stated otherwise somewhere, anything not prohibited is legal. There are a few exceptions, of course, and they mostly are detailed in the Case Book.

That's my take on it.

Sorry....not that anal.

icallfouls Thu Sep 21, 2006 08:05pm

Rainmaker,

Do you have homework/a column to write? :D

kiwiref Thu Sep 21, 2006 08:10pm

FIBA rules state that a decision on anything not specificaly covered by the rule book can be made by the referee. (46.13)
I would venture to say that anything not covered by the rules would be decided on based on the principles of fairness, sportsmanship and within the spirit of the game.

zeke Thu Sep 21, 2006 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwiref
FIBA rules state that a decision on anything not specificaly covered by the rule book can be made by the referee. (46.13)
I would venture to say that anything not covered by the rules would be decided on based on the principles of fairness, sportsmanship and within the spirit of the game.

The elastic rule.

BktBallRef Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
I'd be interested in your opinions separately first, before you start responding to each other.

zeke, did you read this part of Juulie's post?

Feel honored. At least she asked for your opinion. Why not offer, rather than immediatly responding to others?

Hey Dan, that's twice now you haven't been included. It's my virgin time. :)

ChuckElias Fri Sep 22, 2006 08:02am

Honestly, I haven't thought very much about the question, Juulie. If you made me choose at gunpoint, I would say that if it's not specifically prohibited, then it's allowed. It does work the opposite way in a few instances, but mostly, I think if it doesn't say that you can't do something, then you can.

Some of those things that you can't do are covered by phrases like "including, but not limited to. . .". So it's not explicitly prohibited, but it's covered under the rule.

Dan_ref Fri Sep 22, 2006 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
zeke, did you read this part of Juulie's post?

Feel honored. At least she asked for your opinion. Why not offer, rather than immediatly responding to others?

Hey Dan, that's twice now you haven't been included. It's my virgin time. :)

I know... and welcome to the club...

http://home.comcast.net/~fritzb1/sadbanana.gif

Jurassic Referee Fri Sep 22, 2006 08:26am

[QUOTE=rainmaker Is it the case that anything that's not explicitly forbidden is legal? Or is it the case that anything that not explicitly allowed is illegal? Or some combination of the two? Does this generality include the Fundamentals, the Handbook stuff, and the Simplified and Illustrated?

[/QUOTE]Just ask yourself <b><i>"What would Woddy do?"</i></b>

Btw, I also agree with Nevada and Chuck.

rockyroad Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:08am

Who the heck is "TJ"???? Is that kinda like "Woddy" for me?? Sweet, I've been woddy-ized...better than being left off the list - right Dan?!!

My take would be similiar to Chuck's and Nevada's...if it isn't specifically prohibited, it MAY be legal...that's where judgement comes in - and that's why we get paid the big bucks to do what we all love to do...

euby Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:22am

NFHS Rule 2-3 would be my bet.

Back In The Saddle Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:15am

I know I wasn't invited to this party, but I've always understood that, generally speaking, if it's not explicitly illegal, it's legal.

BktBallRef Fri Sep 22, 2006 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I know I wasn't invited to this party, but I've always understood that, generally speaking, if it's not explicitly illegal, it's legal.

Well, that's as clear as mud. :)

Glad you're "so full of doubt." I would be concerned if you were "so certain of yourself." :rolleyes:

I know I'm not supposed to respond in ths thread but I just had to. :p