The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Arctic Circle
Posts: 112
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
Question AP or POI?

was having a discussion last night with another official. and we couldn't agree on what should happen. if you have a double foul that occurred during a FG attempt and the attempt was no good, you go with the AP, right? because their was no team control and the basketball was no good.

and if it is good you go with POI, right? because the ball is still live during the FG attempt even though the whistle was blown, the ball isn't dead until the attempt has ended.

right?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBark
was having a discussion last night with another official. and we couldn't agree on what should happen. if you have a double foul that occurred during a FG attempt and the attempt was no good, you go with the AP, right? because their was no team control and the basketball was no good.

and if it is good you go with POI, right? because the ball is still live during the FG attempt even though the whistle was blown, the ball isn't dead until the attempt has ended.

right?
You got it right. Rule 4-36.

Z
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 07:29am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBark
if you have a double foul that occurred during a FG attempt and the attempt was no good, you go with the AP, right?

and if it is good you go with POI, right?
Just a minor point here. After a double foul, you always go to the POI. Sometimes the POI is the AP arrow, and sometimes the POI is a non-AP throw-in. (And sometimes, the POI is a FT.)

Don't get caught up in a false distinction. All double fouls and simultaneous fouls now go to the POI. To know exactly what the POI is in each case, refer to 4-36 in the FED ('05-'06) book. The reference may change in the new book this year. And I don't have my NCAA book in front of me, sorry.
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 07:32am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
To know exactly what the POI is in each case, refer to 4-36 in the FED ('05-'06) book. The reference may change in the new book this year.
Still the same reference in this year's rule book...
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 08:08am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Arctic Circle
Posts: 112
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Just a minor point here. After a double foul, you always go to the POI. Sometimes the POI is the AP arrow, and sometimes the POI is a non-AP throw-in. (And sometimes, the POI is a FT.)

Don't get caught up in a false distinction. All double fouls and simultaneous fouls now go to the POI. To know exactly what the POI is in each case, refer to 4-36 in the FED ('05-'06) book. The reference may change in the new book this year. And I don't have my NCAA book in front of me, sorry.
Chuck, thanks for pointing that out. I believe that's where I was getting confused. Many thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 08:21am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
John, your location says "Arctic Circle". How much basketball is played at the Arctic Circle?
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 08:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Arctic Circle
Posts: 112
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
Wink well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
John, your location says "Arctic Circle". How much basketball is played at the Arctic Circle?
if we can keep the ball from freezing up, you can usually play quite a bit. but, you have to watch out for cracks in the ice foes as you can occasionally get a little wet!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 11:49am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBark
because their was no team control and the basketball was no good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBark
if we can keep the ball from freezing up, you can usually play quite a bit.
So that's why the basketball was no good!

Just kidding. BTW, I started reading "Eagle Blue" about the Fort Yukon basketball team - should I look for you in any of the games?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Arctic Circle
Posts: 112
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
Wink don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
So that's why the basketball was no good!

Just kidding. BTW, I started reading "Eagle Blue" about the Fort Yukon basketball team - should I look for you in any of the games?


Well I haven't been assigned to those games yet. But, you never know.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a little pink house
Posts: 5,289
Send a message via AIM to Back In The Saddle Send a message via MSN to Back In The Saddle Send a message via Yahoo to Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Just a minor point here. After a double foul, you always go to the POI. Sometimes the POI is the AP arrow, and sometimes the POI is a non-AP throw-in. (And sometimes, the POI is a FT.)

Don't get caught up in a false distinction. All double fouls and simultaneous fouls now go to the POI. To know exactly what the POI is in each case, refer to 4-36 in the FED ('05-'06) book. The reference may change in the new book this year. And I don't have my NCAA book in front of me, sorry.
Chuck, I'm having a hard time picturing this. Can you give me an example of where POI for a double foul is a free throw?
__________________
"It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and then do your best." - W. Edwards Deming
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Chuck, I'm having a hard time picturing this. Can you give me an example of where POI for a double foul is a free throw?
How about this:

First free throw of a one-and-one, shot is released, A2 and B2 get overly-rambunctious on positioning and get whistled, and free throw goes in. Report double foul, POI would be the second free throw.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Chuck, I'm having a hard time picturing this. Can you give me an example of where POI for a double foul is a free throw?
A1 is fouled on his shot & is entitled to 2 FTs

A2 & B2 exchange unpeasantries, resulting in a double T.

POI is A1's first FT.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
A2 & B2 exchange unpeasantries
If you're an "unpeasant", does that make you an elitist prick?
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 09:06am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
If you're an "unpeasant", does that make you an elitist prick?
Not necessarily, you could just be a middle-class slob.

But I suppose if you're exchanging these people you probably are both an elitist and a prick.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 09:17am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
What would you be exchanging unpeasants for? Peasants? What's the going exchange rate? How many unpeasants per peasant?
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1