The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   AP or POI? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28385-ap-poi.html)

JohnBark Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:16pm

AP or POI?

was having a discussion last night with another official. and we couldn't agree on what should happen. if you have a double foul that occurred during a FG attempt and the attempt was no good, you go with the AP, right? because their was no team control and the basketball was no good.

and if it is good you go with POI, right? because the ball is still live during the FG attempt even though the whistle was blown, the ball isn't dead until the attempt has ended.

right?

zebraman Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBark
was having a discussion last night with another official. and we couldn't agree on what should happen. if you have a double foul that occurred during a FG attempt and the attempt was no good, you go with the AP, right? because their was no team control and the basketball was no good.

and if it is good you go with POI, right? because the ball is still live during the FG attempt even though the whistle was blown, the ball isn't dead until the attempt has ended.

right?

You got it right. Rule 4-36.

Z

ChuckElias Wed Sep 20, 2006 07:29am

Quote:

if you have a double foul that occurred during a FG attempt and the attempt was no good, you go with the AP, right?

and if it is good you go with POI, right?

Just a minor point here. After a double foul, you always go to the POI. Sometimes the POI is the AP arrow, and sometimes the POI is a non-AP throw-in. (And sometimes, the POI is a FT.)

Don't get caught up in a false distinction. All double fouls and simultaneous fouls now go to the POI. To know exactly what the POI is in each case, refer to 4-36 in the FED ('05-'06) book. The reference may change in the new book this year. And I don't have my NCAA book in front of me, sorry.

Jurassic Referee Wed Sep 20, 2006 07:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
To know exactly what the POI is in each case, refer to 4-36 in the FED ('05-'06) book. The reference may change in the new book this year.

Still the same reference in this year's rule book...

JohnBark Wed Sep 20, 2006 08:08am

Quote:

Just a minor point here. After a double foul, you always go to the POI. Sometimes the POI is the AP arrow, and sometimes the POI is a non-AP throw-in. (And sometimes, the POI is a FT.)

Don't get caught up in a false distinction. All double fouls and simultaneous fouls now go to the POI. To know exactly what the POI is in each case, refer to 4-36 in the FED ('05-'06) book. The reference may change in the new book this year. And I don't have my NCAA book in front of me, sorry.

Chuck, thanks for pointing that out. I believe that's where I was getting confused. Many thanks!

ChuckElias Wed Sep 20, 2006 08:21am

John, your location says "Arctic Circle". How much basketball is played at the Arctic Circle? :eek:

JohnBark Wed Sep 20, 2006 08:47am

well...

Quote:

John, your location says "Arctic Circle". How much basketball is played at the Arctic Circle? :eek:

if we can keep the ball from freezing up, you can usually play quite a bit. but, you have to watch out for cracks in the ice foes as you can occasionally get a little wet! :D

Jimgolf Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:49am

Quote:

because their was no team control and the basketball was no good.

Quote:

if we can keep the ball from freezing up, you can usually play quite a bit.

So that's why the basketball was no good!

Just kidding. BTW, I started reading "Eagle Blue" about the Fort Yukon basketball team - should I look for you in any of the games?

JohnBark Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:11pm

don't know...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgolf
So that's why the basketball was no good!

Just kidding. BTW, I started reading "Eagle Blue" about the Fort Yukon basketball team - should I look for you in any of the games?

Well I haven't been assigned to those games yet. But, you never know.

Back In The Saddle Thu Sep 21, 2006 04:03pm

Quote:

Chuck, I'm having a hard time picturing this. Can you give me an example of where POI for a double foul is a free throw?

M&M Guy Thu Sep 21, 2006 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Chuck, I'm having a hard time picturing this. Can you give me an example of where POI for a double foul is a free throw?

How about this:

First free throw of a one-and-one, shot is released, A2 and B2 get overly-rambunctious on positioning and get whistled, and free throw goes in. Report double foul, POI would be the second free throw.

Dan_ref Thu Sep 21, 2006 05:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle

A1 is fouled on his shot & is entitled to 2 FTs

A2 & B2 exchange unpeasantries, resulting in a double T.

POI is A1's first FT.

M&M Guy Fri Sep 22, 2006 08:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
A2 & B2 exchange unpeasantries

If you're an "unpeasant", does that make you an elitist prick?

Dan_ref Fri Sep 22, 2006 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
If you're an "unpeasant", does that make you an elitist prick?

Not necessarily, you could just be a middle-class slob.

But I suppose if you're exchanging these people you probably are both an elitist and a prick.

ChuckElias Fri Sep 22, 2006 09:17am

What would you be exchanging unpeasants for? Peasants? What's the going exchange rate? How many unpeasants per peasant?