The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Was there a resolution in Kentucky?

At the end of last season, there was a post on here (or maybe more than one) about a Kentucky official who had got into a squabble with a fellow official in the locker room and ended up losing some post-season assignments over it. He sued to get back on a game and was hoping for an injunction to prevent the game from being played without him. The game went on without him.

Did anyone ever hear anymore on what happened with that? Did both officials in the squabble get suspended? Are they both going to be officiating HS games this coming season?

Thanks,

Z
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I don't know if there was a resolution, but here's the thread for anybody who doesn't remember what we're talking about: KY Referee Squabble - Outta Control
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 10:27am
In Memoriam

Remember the one from Alaska a few years ago? The one where the officials were discussing a coach in the dressing room and she overheard them....and then a lawsuit or a state complaint ensued for discrimination iirc?

Anyone ever hear what happened to that one?
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 11:15am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Remember the one from Alaska a few years ago? The one where the officials were discussing a coach in the dressing room and she overheard them....and then a lawsuit or a state complaint ensued for discrimination iirc?

Anyone ever hear what happened to that one?
Last summer, that coach had a team playing in a summer tournament here in our area...her brother-in-law (the one who did the recording) was also there and I talked with him. Asked him what the outcome was and he told me it was settled out of court - no details.

The coach got a little animated at one point towards a partner...I was C table-side and turned to her and said something along the lines of "You need to find a different way to communicate with us, coach" and she looked at me shocked, and said "Ok, thank you sir. I didn't realize refs would actually talk to me anymore." Pretty sad...
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 11:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
I ...said something along the lines of "You need to find a different way to communicate with us, coach" ....
NIce, dj !
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
At the end of last season, there was a post on here (or maybe more than one) about a Kentucky official who had got into a squabble with a fellow official in the locker room and ended up losing some post-season assignments over it. He sued to get back on a game and was hoping for an injunction to prevent the game from being played without him. The game went on without him.

Did anyone ever hear anymore on what happened with that? Did both officials in the squabble get suspended? Are they both going to be officiating HS games this coming season?

Thanks,

Z
Well, that association has a new assigning secretary this year, so I really don't know what will come if it. I happen to know both men involved and the one that did not sue will most likely be back. He accepted what he did as wrong (to get into a confrontation at a game site like he did), but the one that did go to court, well, knowing what I do about him, most likely will not be officiating in KY this year (or any other one for that matter). Too bad as well. If he had kept his mouth shut for a few years, he would be a fixture in the state tournament (a pretty good official, just has too many "chips" places if you know what I mean). I heard he walked out of a meeting when the announced the Saturday officials for the state tourney one year (they play the semis & finals on Sat) and has not been back since!
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevzebra
Well, that association has a new assigning secretary this year, so I really don't know what will come if it. I happen to know both men involved and the one that did not sue will most likely be back. He accepted what he did as wrong (to get into a confrontation at a game site like he did), but the one that did go to court, well, knowing what I do about him, most likely will not be officiating in KY this year (or any other one for that matter). Too bad as well. If he had kept his mouth shut for a few years, he would be a fixture in the state tournament (a pretty good official, just has too many "chips" places if you know what I mean). I heard he walked out of a meeting when the announced the Saturday officials for the state tourney one year (they play the semis & finals on Sat) and has not been back since!
Ok, which is which?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Alaska

Alaska ended up ugly!
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 05:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicepsforyou
Alaska ended up ugly!
Whatever happen with that issue?

Peace
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman

Thanks,

Z
I have a realitive in the association and here is what he reports.

The two referee's - one was the Chapter President - were suspended for the 06-07 BB year. The official that brought the legal charges (not the President) declined to renew his dues and has resigned the chapter.

There is a new assigning secretary.

The association also donated some amount of money to the High School that had to reschedule the cancelled game.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy

The two referee's - one was the Chapter President - were suspended for the 06-07 BB year. The official that brought the legal charges (not the President) declined to renew his dues and has resigned the chapter.

The association also donated some amount of money to the High School that had to reschedule the cancelled game.
Hey, thanks for the update. From the reports I read, it sounds like a pretty reasonable solution. It sounded like both officials were clearly in the wrong.

Z
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 02:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy

For those that are not familiar with how Kentucky does things you might want to clarify.

What does resigning from accomplish? Was this not a playoff game? What does the chapter have to do with this?

Did the old assigning secretary play some role in this situation?

Peace
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
For those that are not familiar with how Kentucky does things you might want to clarify.

What does resigning from accomplish? Was this not a playoff game? What does the chapter have to do with this?

Did the old assigning secretary play some role in this situation?

Peace
Resigning keeps him from causing anymore trouble in that area. He did not live in Louisville, but about 45 minutes from there. Maybe he will try and go to that region, but I doubt that anyone will take him.

It was a regional Semi-Final if memory serves. It was to be held in Freedom Hall and the reschedule caused a little monetary loss for the schools, hence the region officials association donated some of the money to help this situation.

The assigning secretary pulled BOTH officials off the next game(s) and this caused the fracus.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 12:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Resigning keeps him from causing anymore trouble in that area. He did not live in Louisville, but about 45 minutes from there. Maybe he will try and go to that region, but I doubt that anyone will take him.
Wow, I guess we know where you stand.

Quote:
It was a regional Semi-Final if memory serves. It was to be held in Freedom Hall and the reschedule caused a little monetary loss for the schools, hence the region officials association donated some of the money to help this situation.

The assigning secretary pulled BOTH officials off the next game(s) and this caused the fracus.
Why are local assignment chairman assigning playoff games to a state tournament? Sounds like a major conflict of interest.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Wow, I guess we know where you stand.

Why are local assignment chairman assigning playoff games to a state tournament? Sounds like a major conflict of interest.

Peace
Not really. There are two ways that we assign refs for districts and regions here in good Ole KY. One can find another association in which to trade refs with (yyyuuuuuukkkkkkk) or you can stay within your own region. The local assigning secretary has knowledge of who the best are in each association, so it really isn't an issue.

There are also two different rating systems here in KY. We use a committee in ours, made up of four coaches from each region (we service two) two from each gender. They meet and decide who is qualified from the association and then the secretary assigns the games from there.

The other way is the good ole point system, still used by the majority of the regions. Officials are rated 0-20 points by each coach and then the secretary has 20 points for each as well. Both systems have flaws and politics probably will never be totally purged from either system, but the committee system seems to work well. One does not know who the coaches are, so you aren't sure if he/she saw you or not during the season.
Closed Thread