The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 09:38am
In Memoriam

Things that make you go hmmmmm...

In the new rulebook, as usual, in the center you will find a 4-page colored ad...which I always take out. This year's ad is for Rawlings basketballs, specifically their "TEN"- their new 10-panelled ball. The blurb talks about how the NFHS, among other groups, have approved the "TEN".

That's fine, except.....

Three of the four pages show Tracy McGrady dribbling and shooting a "TEN". The only problem is that the "TEN" that he is using is illegal under NFHS rules. It's multi-colored, with alternating black and brown panels.

Stoopid me, but I can just see a coach holding that ad up and saying "waddaya mean, my game ball is illegal? It's in the rulebook."
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
In the new rulebook, as usual, in the center you will find a 4-page colored ad...which I always take out. This year's ad is for Rawlings basketballs, specifically their "TEN"- their new 10-panelled ball. The blurb talks about how the NFHS, among other groups, have approved the "TEN".

That's fine, except.....

Three of the four pages show Tracy McGrady dribbling and shooting a "TEN". The only problem is that the "TEN" that he is using is illegal under NFHS rules. It's multi-colored, with alternating black and brown panels.

Stoopid me, but I can just see a coach holding that ad up and saying "waddaya mean, my game ball is illegal? It's in the rulebook."
My response... "Yeah coach, Tracy McGrady is in the rulebook as well and you can't use him either!"
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie
My response... "Yeah coach, Tracy McGrady is in the rulebook as well and you can't use him either!"
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 01:51pm
M.A.S.H.

I'm somewhat jealous. I haven't got my book and/or exam yet.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 02:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Must be a regional thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
I'm somewhat jealous. I haven't got my book and/or exam yet.
The test is not available on-line in our state. I have already started going over the test. I do not have the books yet as well.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 02:36pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The test is not available on-line in our state. I have already started going over the test. I do not have the books yet as well.

Peace
Say it ain't so Jeff. They aren't allowing you to take the exam online this year?
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 02:37pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Say it ain't so Jeff. They aren't allowing you to take the exam online this year?
Nevermind...just answered my own question by logging in. The exam is already posted and I'm printing off the questions as we speak. Cool!

Last edited by tjones1; Mon Sep 18, 2006 at 02:44pm.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 02:38pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The test is not available on-line in our state. I have already started going over the test. Peace

So where did you get the test you are going over? We used to get a study guide with about 350 questions. The test was made up of 125 of these questions. Last couple of years we got nothing except advice: "Study the rule and case books and the mechanics manuals."

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 02:47pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
So where did you get the test you are going over? We used to get a study guide with about 350 questions. The test was made up of 125 of these questions. Last couple of years we got nothing except advice: "Study the rule and case books and the mechanics manuals."
JAR,

In IL, they send you the 100 question test with the rule book (Part I). Part I is an open book exam in IL.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 02:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
The test that is provided for us is the actual test we have to pass. We can take it online or fill out a scantron and send it to our state office. It is also an open book test and we can review answers with fellow officials and our associations.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 03:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
JAR,

In IL, they send you the 100 question test with the rule book (Part I). Part I is an open book exam in IL.
Some states require the NFHS Part 1 exam for certification; other states require the NFHS Part II exam. Some states write their exams now; some states don't write the same exam until December.

Some people scour the net for the exams and the answers so that they don't have to study when their own exam comes up; some people every year seem to provide these exams and answers early too because they don't consider it cheating. They're wrong imo.

Let's see if this year is any different. I doubt it but I can always hope.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
some people every year seem to provide these exams and answers early too because they don't consider it cheating. They're wrong imo.

Time to find a new windmill to tilt at, Don Quixote.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

I actually look forward to the test every year because it forces me back into the rule book. By the end of the summer/early fall the rules begin to run together a bit (I celebrate the 12th anniversary of my 40th b-day next month...see different thread).

For example, my assignor called me at 11:00 AM this past Saturday asking if I could call a pair of youth rec games starting at noon (scheduling snafu with league). He ended being my partner. At one point I called a foul followed immediately by a T on the same kid who committed the personal. My partner (who has celebrated far more b-day anniversaries than I have, BTW) and I had a brief, somewhat comical converation as we tried to remember the order for shooting the personal and T foul shots. I don't even want to think about how ugly/embarassing this would have been if it had happened during a HS game.

Without the test, I wouldn't study the rules nearly as much as I otherwise do.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 03:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Time to find a new windmill to tilt at, Don Quixote.
Well, I know it ain't really gonna make any difference. I keep hoping that maybe just one of 'em might feel just the tiniest pang of conscience sometime.

Guess not, huh?

Oh, well.......
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 04:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Some states require the NFHS Part 1 exam for certification; other states require the NFHS Part II exam. Some states write their exams now; some states don't write the same exam until December.

Some people scour the net for the exams and the answers so that they don't have to study when their own exam comes up; some people every year seem to provide these exams and answers early too because they don't consider it cheating. They're wrong imo.

What exactly do you mean by "Certification?" In our state we still have to pass the test. If you do not actually pass the test you will put yourself on probation that will make you ineligible for post season and possibly suspend your license if you do not pass the test two years in a row. I would call our situation as a kind of "certification." In my opinion the test is just a minor part of what we have to do before the season.

Peace
Closed Thread