The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

H.S. Shot Clock

Quick Question. Has NFHS come out with any rules or guidelines on shot clock use?

I realize most states use the NCAA rules in most cases, but just checking to be sure.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garote
Quick Question. Has NFHS come out with any rules or guidelines on shot clock use?

I realize most states use the NCAA rules in most cases, but just checking to be sure.
No they haven't.

Z
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 01:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No.

Quote:
Since when?

Peace
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 01:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
  • realize most states use the NCAA rules in most cases, but just checking to be sure.

Since when?

Peace
I think he means states that use shot clocks utilize NCAA rules in regards to the shot clock.

But far be it from me to try to explain my partner's call
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Since we have the shot clock here in California, we have California Modification which pertains to the shot clock. Hard too beleive in today's game that all states do not use a shot clock. I remember during last year's season a college coach stating that the biggest adjustment his players is for those players coming from states that do not use the shot clock
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

The last time I checked only SEVEN states used a shot clock in HS games in either boys or girls play.
As was stated above CA does not use the NCAA shot clock rules rather they use their own modifications that were written by Bill White. They are not quite the same and cover most situations that could pop up, but not all. The people that I know have said that they follow the NCAA rules when something arises that isn't covered.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

In CA we do use the shot clock and we use college rules. That created some confusion when the NCAA changed the reset rule on a kick last year, different areas did different things. Hopefully that will become more uniform this year.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refhoops
Since we have the shot clock here in California, we have California Modification which pertains to the shot clock. Hard too beleive in today's game that all states do not use a shot clock. I remember during last year's season a college coach stating that the biggest adjustment his players is for those players coming from states that do not use the shot clock
You're in the minority in more ways than one. Since less than 2% of HS players will ever play college basketball, what's the point in making a rule change when 98% of the players will never be faced with a shot clock.

Rule changes are made for the good of the game, not to benefit the 2% that might play in college some day.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Jul 08, 2006 at 09:47am.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
less than 2% of HS players will never play college basketball
Does include all levels of college ball? D1, D2, D3, NAIA, NJCAA, etc, men's and women's? Not doubting you at all. Just want to clairy, b/c that just seems really low for all the college programs that are out there.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Does include all levels of college ball? D1, D2, D3, NAIA, NJCAA, etc, men's and women's? Not doubting you at all. Just want to clairy, b/c that just seems really low for all the college programs that are out there.
According to stats from the NFHS web site 1,002,040 boys and girls participated in high school basketball programs in 2004-2005, the most recent year for which they provide data. 2% of that number would be 20,040. Figure 15 kids per team and you've got 1,336 teams or 668 schools, assuming every school plays both mens and womens ball. Divide that out and you get an average of 13 1/3 colleges per state. So 2% seems a little high, actually.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
According to stats from the NFHS web site 1,002,040 boys and girls participated in high school basketball programs in 2004-2005, the most recent year for which they provide data. 2% of that number would be 20,040. Figure 15 kids per team and you've got 1,336 teams or 668 schools, assuming every school plays both mens and womens ball. Divide that out and you get an average of 13 1/3 colleges per state. So 2% seems a little high, actually.
Tooling around the internet I got this:

There are 334 NCAA men D1 teams in the RPI list.
There are about 300 men NCAA D2 teams.
There are total 800 D3 men & women teams

JUCO:
Approx, men:
300 D1
100 D2
100 D3

So that's roughly 3000 men's & woman's teams, assuming each school fields both (not always the case).
Assume 10 players avg per team, that's 30,000 players total NCAA & NJCAA. Or about 3%

2% seems close enough by my rough count.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Thumbs up

Very interesting. Thanks, Dan.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
In CA we do use the shot clock and we use college rules. That created some confusion when the NCAA changed the reset rule on a kick last year, different areas did different things. Hopefully that will become more uniform this year.
You might with your local group, but then you aren't using what is in the CBOA book.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Since less than 2% of HS players will never play college basketball,...

---------------
Old Sat Jul 08, 2006, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'd like to ask a shot clock question for NCAA-W. On a held ball, when the ball returns to the team that was in possession when the held ball occurred, does the shot clock reset? I thought no, but a partner and I disagreed.