The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 29, 2001, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Unhappy

Here is the game situation...

5 seconds on the clock in the championship game (worth $275), tie score, team B reaches over the line and hits the ball. I call a T, which is the players second tech so he leaves, automatic two points and the ball. A inbounds the ball and is immediately fouled, double bonus...players are non-stop complaining about that call and being out of line. I put up the stop sign, said that's enough...he says, "give me a T." So there team got another one and I called the game.

Whew...what a night!!!

My two sense!
Old Sun Jul 29, 2001, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

They should have been pissed at the player who slapped the ball, not at you! Stupidity reigns!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jul 30, 2001, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Question What would you have done?

I read an account recently of something that happened a few years back in a NBA game. I know that the Bucks were one team, but I'm not sure who the other one was.

Anywho, Team A is down by 2 points, less than 5 seconds to go. A1 throws a hail-mary up on the buzzer and it drops - Team A win the game. The bench for Team A is understandably elated, and rush onto the court to congratulate A1. The referee calls a technical foul on the bench for coming onto the court, B1 shoots two free throws and Team B wins the game by 1.

I would be interested in hearing the opinons of other referees if this is the right way to call a game. Although it is technically correct, I have a few problems with referees making calls like this, as I don't believe that it is good for the game.

The article included a few comments from the NBA referees involved in the game, along with the then Director of Referees. All these comments supported the decision to call the technical foul on the basis that it is up to the referees to enforce all of the rules, not to decide which ones to enforce.

I look forward to your comments

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Jul 30, 2001, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Re: What would you have done?

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
I read an account recently of something that happened a few years back in a NBA game. I know that the Bucks were one team, but I'm not sure who the other one was.

Anywho, Team A is down by 2 points, less than 5 seconds to go. A1 throws a hail-mary up on the buzzer and it drops - Team A win the game. The bench for Team A is understandably elated, and rush onto the court to congratulate A1. The referee calls a technical foul on the bench for coming onto the court, B1 shoots two free throws and Team B wins the game by 1.
A few things don't sound right about this story. First, you said the horn sounded, so the game is over. Why would it be a technical foul to run onto the floor at that point? Second, in the NBA, a technical foul only results in one FT, not two. Are you sure about these facts?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jul 30, 2001, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

He said it was a few years ago, maybe it was a lot of years ago. I do not remember this ever happenng in the NBA, so it could have been quite a while ago.

While I can see wacking a coach who crosses the line in this sitch, I cannot fathom whacking a team for rushing the floor after the horn. In fact how many times does this happen in college where the clock doesn't stop or whatever horn sounds, but the game is not over. They clear the floor and finish, I have never seen a T for this.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2001, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Re: What would you have done?

Quote:

I would be interested in hearing the opinons of other referees if this is the right way to call a game. Although it is technically correct, I have a few problems with referees making calls like this, as I don't believe that it is good for the game.
If all of your facts are correct, I say the T in this situation is BS. Shot goes in, horn sounds, ball game. Who cares if the players rush the court? I say good for them. They play the game to enjoy it, so let them. Now, some big-headed ref gives a T because it is "technically correct"? Please...

In today's cut-throat world of officiating, too many guys/gals are looking for the "big call" to make. They are doing this in hopes of impressing someone. If their game depends on one call to get them noticed, they're probably not that good anyway.

So... The lesson to learn is consistently call what you see from the opening tip to the final horn. Officiate for the game, not for yourself. You will always be better than someone and there will always be someone better than you.

Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 04:51am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Woops.... to clarify

Yes it was a long time ago, I believe it was in the mid sixties. I will try to find the actual article that I read.

As far as the horn sounding and the game being over, I spoke to a friend who read the same article and he clarified the scenario somewhat.

Apparently what actually happened was that Team A was down by 1 point, and on the buzzer attempted a shot. They were fouled and A1 attempted two free throws. He hit the first, made the second to win the game, and before the referees blew the whistle to end the game, the bench cleared onto the court.

I totally agree that to give a "t", although technically correct (pardon the pun), is a crock, and is an excellent example of poor judgement.

As soon as I find the article I will post it here.

Cheers

Duane

Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Guess I missed the rule that says our whistle ends the game....
Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Brian,

That is certainly the case under FIBA rules. Actually, the official end of the game is when the referees have signed the official scoresheet. Up until that time technical, unsportsmanlike and disqualifying fouls may be called. Once the scoresheet has been signed, the game is officially over.

Think about it, if the referee's whistle doesn't signal the end of the game, what does? The siren? If it is the siren, then if my team is up by one, and I foul a player as the buzzer sounds and he gets awarded 2 free throws, then isn't it game over and my team wins?

Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Post To be specific

FIBA Rules:

Article 6.2

"... the officials' signing of the scoresheet ... terminates ... their connection with the game."

I hope this clarifies the point. I would assume that NCAA, NBA and High School rules are the same, or at least very similar.

Duane

Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

What I meant was that is a very strict interpretation of some rule.

Fed rules are the game is over after the horn sounds, all related activity has concluded (this would include free throws on a last second shot), and the officials verify the score. (This is my version, I don't have the rule book here to give you chapter and verse).

Now, if the horn sounds, I get the thumbs up from the book and I head off the floor, are you telling me the game is not over because I didn't blow my whistle? Yes, until I leave the visial confines of the gym I stil have the authority to issue a T, but the game is still over.

In your example if there was contact at the horn and I think it was NOT enough to be a foul, I sure as heck am NOT going to blow my whistle. This is so that no one is confused into thinking I have a foul.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Brian, I can only speak for FIBA rules, and under these, the referee must blow his/her whistle to signify the end of the game (or of any period for that matter). Also, under FIBA rules the referees only have power over the administration of the game up until the scoresheet has been signed by the referees. This is the complete end of the game. Any issues that arise from this point onwards (violence/abuse from players for example) can only be dealt with by either civil authorities or by the stadium/competition administrators.

As far as players/spectators getting confused as to if the final whistle is for a foul or not, the FIBA signal for the end of the game is open hand straight up (as per stopping the clock at any other time) while the signal for a foul is a clenched fist straight up with the other arm pointed at the offending player. Therefor, it is extremely unlikely for their to be any confusion as to what has been called (or not called).

Cheers

Duane

Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I think it encourages bad behvior if you have to walk over between the teams to sign the book, that is why over here we sign ahead of time, nod and run. When you have an emotional game the last thing officials need to do is go near the coaches.

I think you need to petition Feeble to change that. If I'm a coach I won't wait until the ink is dry to lay into.

As far as signals, ours are the same, but lets look at facts do you think the fans know what the diff between a fist and an open hand are? Most coaches are sketchy at best. Maybe FIBA fans are used to the end of game whistle, but there are times here where it is best to let it go and not blow anything.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: To be specific

Quote:
FIBA Rules:

Article 6.2

"... the officials' signing of the scoresheet ... terminates ... their connection with the game."

I hope this clarifies the point. I would assume that NCAA, NBA and High School rules are the same, or at least very similar.

Duane
Not at all similar. NCAA 2-2-4 defines when our
jurisdiction is to start & end. It ends when the official
leaves the confines of the court. There is no requirement to
sign the book, in fact both NF & NCAA mechanics require us
to meet at the end of the court nearest the exit immediately
after the final horn (NCAA women's mechanics require the
officials to meet center court if the score is within 4
points). Book signing is done before the game.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Fair enough

The point that things can get a bit heated at the end of the game is fair enough. However, what happens if the scorebench makes an error, and the referees have left the confines of the court (ie ending their involvemet in the game)?