The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Good morning everyone!

I am a 3rd year basketall official and i am attending a camp in madison wisconsin this weekend, "the right call". i have only attended one camp previous to this one and it was a lower level camp that a fellow official decided to host. what items should i bring to this camp? what were the most important things that the rest of you learned during camps this summer?

I am looking for any information or helpful hints that would maxamize what i learn in camp,
Thanks!

open to feedback!
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
...what items should i bring to this camp?...
Lots of water and extra energy!
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Welcome aboard, Doug!

Bring a mentor!

I could use a vacation!
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

be a sponge....listen to the clinicians as much as possible, even when you are not working the game they are evaluating...ask questions, NEVER give excuses about why you did something or try to justify the reason you did something..... NEVER argue with clinicians... Meet new people, network as much as possible. You never know when someone might be able to help you down the roadsmile and nod your head yes...even if you disagree with what the the clinicians say. never be late to your floor assignment or classroom session. Try to go into each session working on one or two specific things. HUSTLE, HUSTLE AND HUSTLE!!!! Be observant, watch others officials when they work. Learn from their mistakes...learn from the positive things they do. Keep a daily journal about your experiences...what was positive and what was negative. What are you going to try and work on each session, each game. Network with people, be approachable, meet as many new people as possible, you never know who may be able to help you down the road. Have a written resume available to the camp coordinator and possibly the clinicians...it will be an impressive way to be remembered!!
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeref
be a sponge....listen to the clinicians as much as possible, even when you are not working the game they are evaluating...ask questions, NEVER give excuses about why you did something or try to justify the reason you did something..... NEVER argue with clinicians... Meet new people, network as much as possible. You never know when someone might be able to help you down the roadsmile and nod your head yes...even if you disagree with what the the clinicians say. never be late to your floor assignment or classroom session. Try to go into each session working on one or two specific things. HUSTLE, HUSTLE AND HUSTLE!!!! Be observant, watch others officials when they work. Learn from their mistakes...learn from the positive things they do. Keep a daily journal about your experiences...what was positive and what was negative. What are you going to try and work on each session, each game. Network with people, be approachable, meet as many new people as possible, you never know who may be able to help you down the road. Have a written resume available to the camp coordinator and possibly the clinicians...it will be an impressive way to be remembered!!

And after all of that, don't forget to breathe
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeref
Great advice not to argue. Even if someone else just told
you the exact opposite in your previous game just nod your
head and say thanks. If it's a minor point then fit whatever
style into your game that works for you. If it's a major
point then find the camp "big dog" and ask him about it
without mentioning names (don't say "Mr Valentine said I
should never do this but Mr Hightower said I should always
do this"). This is common teacher-pupil courtesy. Great
advice to network. Great advice to hustle. I would only
add don't go away with *any* unanswered questions, no
matter how small or dumb they might seem at the time. It's
your money, make them earn it. And bring a couple of blank
video tapes in case they are taping the games.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
Good morning everyone!

I am a 3rd year basketall official and i am attending a camp in madison wisconsin this weekend, "the right call". i have only attended one camp previous to this one and it was a lower level camp that a fellow official decided to host. what items should i bring to this camp? what were the most important things that the rest of you learned during camps this summer?

I am looking for any information or helpful hints that would maxamize what i learn in camp,
Thanks!

open to feedback!
Thanks for the advise guys, I will be in camp next week myself. So look for some threads from me.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Thank-you everyone, i appreciate your excellent input, i will take your thoughts with me to camp. I don't think i will take willy with me though, in real life he is kind of messed up, but he is a great guy and an excellent official.

Open to feedback
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Get as much videotape as possible. Get as many comments on the videota[ped games as possible. Study these over and over for the next six weeks. This is the path to enlightenment...