The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 30, 2001, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Question

A few of my partners are absolutely militant that nobody (ie: spectators) sets foot on the court during halftime to shoot a few buckets.

I agree with this if even a single member of either team is on the floor to commence warm-up. Also, if an individual does not have proper/clean footwear, I will not allow them on the court.

However, outside of the exceptions previously specified, I do not have a problem with spectators entering court at halftime to have a little fun. I think it encourages an interest in the game.

How do others handle the half time intermission.

Trevor Schriver
Old Mon Jul 30, 2001, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think it's our responsibility to govern such behavior. It's game management's job to handle those types of situations.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

If I see 200 kids in snowy, muddy boot on the floor I will point it out to host management.

My guess is most of these people are lucky the coaches don't see it.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

If this is done during the time that I'm in the officals locker room (regular season)no problem, but as soon as I step back on the court, if your not in a team uniform off the court.
Summer league if it's just one or two again no problem, but if the start a pickup game no way.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

This is something you leave to game management. At some schools, this is no problem; at others, the court is sacred ground that you're not even supposed to look at. Let the AD or coach handle this one how they want it handled.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
During summer league, I may step over and take a few shots myself. But everyone else is right. Who gets to shoot at halftime is a game management decision. At 1:00 horn I am getting everyone off the floor.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Some schools I worked at allowed people on the court at half time, as long as they had on proper footwear.

One Catholic school in LA where I used to officiate, had a great solution. At half time, half of the varsity football team (wearing their letterman's jackets) ringed the court. No one even walked across. The other half of the team was on security in the parking lot during the double header. You could leave your doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition, and your car would be untouched. It was in a "rough" area, but I felt safer there than in Beverly Hills.

Bob
Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Its up to game management until the teams take the floor to warm up. At that point (and assuming I've returned to the floor if I left), I enforce all non-team-members off the half court where the team is preparing for the second half. Note that I treat the two ends totally separately.

For summer league I ignore it unless it is obvious they will destroy the floor (e.g., baseball spikes).
Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Okay, what about non-team-members who are there shooting, and "working out" with the team during half-time? Is that up to the team? Or is it up to us? What if some of the team want the others there and some of the team doesn't (don't?)?
Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 09:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink This is your responsibility.

The minute you step on the court before the game, you are in charge of everything that happens until you leave. Of course you cannot control what you do not see, but if people take the game ball and start shooting and you do not take care of it, who do you think will ultimately get the blame? Do not be fooled, they will not necessarily blame the game management, they will blame you the official.

Now usually Game Management will usually not allow people on the court during halftime or any other break. But when someone slips because the floor is wet or the rim is out of wack because kids where trying to dunk, you will get blamed.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2001, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Game ball should always be at the scorer's table during intermission (or in the official's locker room sometimes).

If you feel the need to control the court, fine, but run it by game management to see what their policy is - they may have a long standing policy or tradition one way or the other.