The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Off topic: Sports medicine type question

Hey guys,

I was hoping since alot of you guys are current or ex athletes you could help me with this question.

My daughter has turned her ankle a couple times in the last year. The most recent being Friday.

And since I'm a former student trainer in my High School days, I've been taping her ankle for a few days afterwards. But since good athletic tape is like $3 a roll, I was going to invest in some ankle braces for her. Another reason is this way, even if I'm not around, she can still take some preventitive messures.

When I was a trainer we used to use the kind that laced up like a shoe. But looking at the local pharmacy last night the only kind they sold were the One size fits all, with the velcro straps or the pull over elastic kind.

Looking online I see the lace up type of brace is available at sporting goods stores.

My question was: Is the lace up type, still the best kind of brace? Or are velcro type braces better?

I realize that this isn't the perfect forum for a question like this, but I looked around the web and didn't see any articles on point or message boards dealing with Sports Medicine that looked like they had much of any activity.

I'm not looking for medical advise, just personal preferences from guys who use or have used ankle braces in the past. Any specific brands might be helpful as well.

One other thing to keep in mind is that she is a 13 year old girl with medium sized feet (about a women's size 8). The one size fits all might not work out so well. Therefore I didn't buy any last night, since I didn't feel comfortable with the selection to choose from.

Last edited by grizwald; Fri Jun 23, 2006 at 05:50pm.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

I can give you my personal expereince. Due to not stretching prior to doing games I injured myslef and formed Heel Spur/Plantar Facitiuos. I think I spelled that correctly. Which in turn made my ankles very weak and sprained my ankles a number of times. So I got myself the orthotic and the velcro ankles braces sure enough those two items have saved my ankles and was able to build them up again. I used the velcro braces and I swear by them. Similiarly My daughter played HS ball and she used them as well.

In conclussion, That is my 2 cents.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:57pm
MABO Member

Orthotic Braces for weak ankles is the way to go. If you have somewhere that can custom fit them to her that is the best way to go. I know here in Canada, if we get a doctors prescription for them we can sometimes claim the costs on medical insurance. This is rare though. The ones I got were very expensive, around $150-200 CD so thats like $75 American right...LOL

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, In the US they are $200 to $300. But so that you don't spend that kind of money, you could buy the ones they sell in some running shoe stores. They range about $25 to $30.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

The velcro ones work great for me as a preventative measure.

The people who have really bad ankles swear by the lace up ones (particularly the McDavid's), but with a girl I would be worried about the strain this might cause on her ACL. Ankles heal quicker.

Check with a good podiatrist or orthopedist about that issue.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 04:00pm
Official & Member

My son turned an ankle pretty bad when he was playing JV ball about 3 years ago...we tried the velcro straps but they bothered him more than the pain did. A football coach reccommended the McDavid lace up deal and that did the trick. Comfortable and inexpensive...he still wears it as a preventative measure.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys,

That gives me some real good ideas. I appreciate all the responses.

-Mike
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Hey I about 4 years ago when I was in 8th grade i was running and stepped in a ditch cracking my ankle. Ever since I have worn the macdavid lace up with the 2 straps that go under the foot and stick on the side and it has worked great as a preventative mesure. When I was comming back from my injury tho I wore what was basically hard plastic with soft gel on the inside and outside of my leg and it was just strapped around, I dont even know if you can get those, my doctor gave that to me and it was hard to move in. My choice is the macdavid, I think I got mine at Sports authority for like $15-$20, they last for ever and well if your gonna use 6-7 rolls of tape you are going to come out ahead.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I have the Rocket Sock which has the velcro straps that go underneath the foot - similar to taping the foot. It's great at limiting the foot from pronating. I got one for my right ankle in '99 when I had a slight break. I just had my orthopedist give me a scrip for one for my left. Make sure it's NOT sent to insurance as an orthotic - they won't pay. Mine went through as a piece of durable medical equipment and the insurance paid it - cost about $85.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Only one person has talked about the difference between boys' and girls' ankles. It's a BIG DEAL!! Girls' ankles are much less strong, and much slower to heal completely. By letting your daughter continue to play, even taped, you are guaranteeing that sooner than you'll like, she'll need surgery or she'll have to quit playing completely. I know this for certain because of years of experience with my own daughter and her friends. If you plan for your daughter to continue in any athletic venue beyond the next year or two, get her to a podiatrist with lots of experience with girl athletes, PRONTO and do exactly what he says, even if it includes a year or two off all sports.

I hate to sound so harsh, but I'm quite certain I'm right, and I need to convey the message in whatever tone will work. For your daughter's sake, find the right podiatrist and get in to him or her asap. I'm quite sure you'll be glad you did.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Only one person has talked about the difference between boys' and girls' ankles. It's a BIG DEAL!! Girls' ankles are much less strong, and much slower to heal completely. By letting your daughter continue to play, even taped, you are guaranteeing that sooner than you'll like, she'll need surgery or she'll have to quit playing completely. I know this for certain because of years of experience with my own daughter and her friends. If you plan for your daughter to continue in any athletic venue beyond the next year or two, get her to a podiatrist with lots of experience with girl athletes, PRONTO and do exactly what he says, even if it includes a year or two off all sports.

I hate to sound so harsh, but I'm quite certain I'm right, and I need to convey the message in whatever tone will work. For your daughter's sake, find the right podiatrist and get in to him or her asap. I'm quite sure you'll be glad you did.
This is a good point. Girls and women are more prone to leg injuries simply because their anatomies are different from men's (see the baseball thread for some examples if you don't believe me). Don't let her play until she's been cleared by a doctor.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

You guys are absolutely right. You refs really know your stuff.

I hear you guys, and I'm aware of some the differences. Alot of the higher risk related stuff is related to the women having wider hips than men. And the larger angle that the legs must be at. It creates problems and higher risk (more stress) in all joints, ligaments and tendons in the legs. Girls after puberty having a much greater risk of leg and foot injuries than boys.

I don't know much about the slower healing, but I'm not doubting that you are accurate there as well.

However, perhaps I mischaracterized the problems she's having. She's had a few, maybe 3 or 4 slight sprains (first degree). Causing minor swelling and no gross instablity. Over a period of probably 3 years. None were closer than probably 6 months apart. And she plays alot of games. She probably averages between 2 and 4 games a week year round plus practices.

Believe me, having the student training background, I would not hesitate to send her to the doctor if I felt like her issues where chronic or could become chronic without treatment. And we will make a trip to the doctor to ask about shoes, braces, insoles ect... soon.

She just turned her ankle in a game Friday and they have AAU Nationals coming up next week. Although she is showing no effects of the sprain currently. I was looking at something as a preventative messure.

I am a bit concerned over the issue of giving extra support to the ankle, creating greater risk to the knee. So I'm not exactly sure what she'll end up doing.

I am a bit comforted by the fact that in the professional basketball and football world (as well as other sports), all athletes' ankles are taped no matter what issues they've had with there ankles in the past. In fact, when I was a student trainer, the team doctors told us that it is standard language in an NFL contract that a fine is imposed if a player even sets foot on a playing surface (even in street clothes) without his ankles taped.

As a side note, we visited the Indiana Pacers training room before a game at the end of the '91 season. Dave Craig, the Pacers trainer, invited us down. Those guys (professional sports trainers) are amazing. They could tape ankles without ever tearing the tape after they were finished with a strip. With all the different strips you put on an ankle taping and never have to tear the tape, Wow. And never once accidently creased the tape either. I guess that's why they make the big bucks!

But your advise is sound, and taken to heart. Girls anatomy is different and in itself causes issues not seen with boys and men. We'll go see the doctor soon.

Last edited by grizwald; Fri Jun 23, 2006 at 03:11pm.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
She's had a few, maybe 3 or 4 slight sprains (first degree). Causing minor swelling and no gross instablity. Over a period of probably 3 years. None were closer than probably 6 months apart. And she plays alot of games. She probably averages between 2 and 4 games a week year round plus practices. Grizwald
The key is that she has had a number of sprains over a 3 to 4 year period. Keep in mind although it has healed the ankle may not be 100%. So if the proper action is not taken. The next could be a tough one. hopefully not.

My 2 cents
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
The key is that she has had a number of sprains over a 3 to 4 year period. Keep in mind although it has healed the ankle may not be 100%. So if the proper action is not taken. The next could be a tough one. hopefully not.

My 2 cents

You're right. We're going to go see a doctor soon. I know that even though she has had no injuries that caused structual damage, the next one is the only one that matters. And once the damage is there, there is no way (even with surgury) to get back to 100%. Even if you are lucky enough to get back to 99.9% there is always that little bit missing after a major injury.
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizwald
You're right. We're going to go see a doctor soon. I know that even though she has had no injuries that caused structual damage, the next one is the only one that matters. And once the damage is there, there is no way (even with surgury) to get back to 100%. Even if you are lucky enough to get back to 99.9% there is always that little bit missing after a major injury.
I'd get there before the AAU thing if I were you. The other thing you should do is try taping with Elastoplast brand tape instead of the J&J standard white athletic tape. If you do the Elastoplast carefully, and since you are a trainer I expect you'll do fine, one tape job should last all weekend, which is a good thing since it's extremely expensive. Worth it though, in my book. My podiatrist recommended it to me when I insisted on playing with a bad foot, and it really made a huge difference. If we'd have had it for my daughter, it might have really saved her career.