The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

High school summer league

I was ref'ing a game last night, There was an intensional foul, we awarded two free throws and the ball. the question that is still vague in my mind is where should have the throw in be made. . We administered the inbounds near where the foul occurred, but in my memory bank, I remembered underneath the basket of the offensive team. I didn't have time to look it up last night and don't have my books with me.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
You got it right
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

POI, typically on intentional foul will occur during a drive to basket and therefore you would inbound the ball on the baseline. However, it is possible to have an intentional foul on other spots on the court and in those cases the in-bound would not be at the baseline but at POI.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 12:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by refhoops
POI, typically on intentional foul will occur during a drive to basket and therefore you would inbound the ball on the baseline. However, it is possible to have an intentional foul on other spots on the court and in those cases the in-bound would not be at the baseline but at POI.
All intentional fouls are enforced at the spot of the foul, not the POI. An intentional foul might not be on ball at all. POI has very little to do with any foul other than technical fouls or double fouls.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
POI has very little to do with any foul other than technical fouls or double fouls.
POI is also used for simultaneous fouls, inadvertant whistles, interrupted games, or after a correctable error situation.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

RefVA got it right. Intentional and flagrant personal fouls are two shots and the ball OOB at the spot nearest the foul.

Speaking for NFHS rules:
While one may think of this as being a POI (i.e., the intentional foul was the interruption; OOB nearest the foul would be going back to the POI), the term POI has some pretty specific connotations and is specifically defined in the rules. It's usage in this context is inconsistent with the rule book definition and becomes confusing.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 04:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Speaking for NFHS rules:
While one may think of this as being a POI (i.e., the intentional foul was the interruption; OOB nearest the foul would be going back to the POI), the term POI has some pretty specific connotations and is specifically defined in the rules.
Yup, it's easier if you just forget about the POI completely. The POI has got absolutely nuthin' to do with the throw-in spot for an intentional foul. It's completely irrelevant.

A throw-in going to the POI is taken to where the ball was when the interruption occurred.

The designated spot for an intentional foul throw-in is the closest spot to where the foul actually occurred.

Those spots could be 50 feet apart.

Iow, just forget about the POI.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I agree with the corrections. I was thinking of an intentional foul on ball but there are too many cases when the intentional foul is off ball and the designated spot is where foul occurred. Yes, this is what occurs when you make a quick post without thinking about all the possible scenarios, thanks for slapping some sense into me!
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 09:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
but in my memory bank, I remembered underneath the basket of the offensive team.
You should switch to a memory savings and loan.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
I was ref'ing a game last night, There was an intensional foul, we awarded two free throws and the ball. the question that is still vague in my mind is where should have the throw in be made. . We administered the inbounds near where the foul occurred, but in my memory bank, I remembered underneath the basket of the offensive team. I didn't have time to look it up last night and don't have my books with me.
On intentional fouls, throw-in occur at the point where the foul happened.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

What if while reporting the intentional foul the players coach gets whacked with a "T". Does the throw in spot now become mid court or back to the spot of the foul?
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe
What if while reporting the intentional foul the players coach gets whacked with a "T". Does the throw in spot now become mid court or back to the spot of the foul?
In NFHS, we do things in the order that they occurred. So take care of the intentional, then take care of the T and the inbounds admin will be at halfcourt.

Z