The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

It is also upon B's coach in this situation to be on top of things. For all we know, B's coach knew they shouldn't get the FTs but let them happen anyway...thinking they might as well get a FT when you might not get a shot off otherwise. B's coach got caught either deliberately or ignorantly getting an unintended advantage and the advantage (FTs) was canceled. Perhaps B's coach didn't know...no one except the coach will know for sure. The fact that A scored is not relevant. If A's coach was aware of the foul situation, you could be that A wouldn't want to let B get a FT not earned.
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Hey Junker, let us know if you find out if the league does follow through on the fine. I hope they do!
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 08:01am
Courageous When Prudent

KenThree's correctable error situation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
It is also upon B's coach in this situation to be on top of things. For all we know, B's coach knew they shouldn't get the FTs but let them happen anyway...thinking they might as well get a FT when you might not get a shot off otherwise. B's coach got caught either deliberately or ignorantly getting an unintended advantage and the advantage (FTs) was canceled. Perhaps B's coach didn't know...no one except the coach will know for sure. The fact that A scored is not relevant. If A's coach was aware of the foul situation, you could be that A wouldn't want to let B get a FT not earned.
Camron, this in no way falls on B's coach. Bottom line, correctable error rule in this situation screws Team B out of a possession. The rule is bad. That is why it is incumbent upon us as officials to stay on top of the team foul situation so that this does not happen.
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Camron, this in no way falls on B's coach. Bottom line, correctable error rule in this situation screws Team B out of a possession. The rule is bad. That is why it is incumbent upon us as officials to stay on top of the team foul situation so that this does not happen.
My opinion: The correctable error rule is written so *both* coaches have an incentive to get it right before the error occurs. Coach B in the original play might have felt he was getting a break ("Hey -- they're letting us shoot FTs -- if we make them, keep quiet; if we miss then we'll bring up the error.") His (if he knew) failure to speak up ended up costing him.

There are many examples where a slight change in the circumstances can end up costing one team or the other.
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Last night I sat and wrote a letter to the guy running the league. I'm a member of the Y, I play in the league, and I agreed to officiate to help out. Sportsmanship in the league was worse then ever before. I saw 2 player ejections and a bunch of T's this season. Both players that were ejected were on the floor last night. In the letter I express my displeasure from a variety of viewpoints. I teach in the community and work hard on character with my students. Then they go to the Y, an organization that should be reinforcing those traits, and they see a bunch of "adults" modeling that type of behavior. I offered to help find ways to improve the sportsmanship, but at the moment, I'm doubting if I'll be involved with the league again. It's just not fun and that's the whole purpose of playing.
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 09:33am
Courageous When Prudent

correctable error....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
My opinion: The correctable error rule is written so *both* coaches have an incentive to get it right before the error occurs. Coach B in the original play might have felt he was getting a break ("Hey -- they're letting us shoot FTs -- if we make them, keep quiet; if we miss then we'll bring up the error.") His (if he knew) failure to speak up ended up costing him.
Coach B might not have had any idea it was a Team Control foul. The situation in question was a foul on A1 during a scramble for an interrputed dribble.
Quote:
Last night in HS game, we had a player from Team A have the ball knocked away on the dribble by Team B. As A1 and B1 went for the ball, A1 fouled B1. Incorrectly, we awarded B1 the bonus.
If the officials lost track of the situation what makes you think Coach B didn't lose track also? As is often correctly stated in this forum, coaches don't know the rules as well as we officials do. Why all of a sudden in this scenario would it be incumbent on Coach B to question the application of a rule? It is our job to get it right, not the coaches. And how the correctable error rule is written, often times a team can get screwed because of our foul-up.
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And how the correctable error rule is written, often times a team can get screwed because of our foul-up.
So please re-write the rule and post it for all of us to scrutinize!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 10:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
So please re-write the rule and post it for all of us to scrutinize!
I wish I could, but I thought Chuck was the one with the inside pull.

What do you say, Chuck, think you can get this pushed through committee?
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wish I could, but I thought Chuck was the one with the inside pull.

What do you say, Chuck, think you can get this pushed through committee?
That has nothing to do with it. You're the one criticizing the rule. So, if you're going to criticize it, that must mean that you've thought this out and have a better way to handle it.

So re-write the rule the way you think it should read and present it to us for scrutiny.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 10:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
That has nothing to do with it. You're the one criticizing the rule. So, if you're going to criticize it, that must mean that you've thought this out and have a better way to handle it.

So re-write the rule the way you think it should read and present it to us for scrutiny.
Oh, excuse me, didn't know I wasn't allowed to criticize a rule. If I remember correctly I think my point was since the application of the rule can hurt one team it's incumbent on us as officials to be diligent in preventing correctible error situations. If you have a problem with that, IDGAF.
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Coach B might not have had any idea it was a Team Control foul. The situation in question was a foul on A1 during a scramble for an interrputed dribble. If the officials lost track of the situation what makes you think Coach B didn't lose track also? As is often correctly stated in this forum, coaches don't know the rules as well as we officials do. Why all of a sudden in this scenario would it be incumbent on Coach B to question the application of a rule? It is our job to get it right, not the coaches. And how the correctable error rule is written, often times a team can get screwed because of our foul-up.
While many coaches don't, there are some that do. The rule is the way it is so that coach B, if he knows, can get burned if he doesn't speak up. You get undeserved FTs, they may get canceled. Other action is not. That other action in this case is A scoring. Can't cancel A's shot becasue they earned it. Can't let B keep the FT's since they didn't earn it. What other option do you think is possible?
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
IDGAF...IDGAF...ID... HEY!

You can't say that on the internet!!

Old Tue May 23, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
IDGAF...IDGAF...ID... HEY!

You can't say that on the internet!!
What if you put an asterisk after it? IDGAF*. Is that ok?
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
IDGAF :shrug:
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 11:41am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Maybe you should change the F to an asterisk...as in IDGA*...that way Dan won't be so offended.