The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

hey guys

first, i am not an official, but a big basketball fan and i love this site. just want to share my thoughts with all of you. i know a lot about basketball, i'm not a great player, but i have a good mind for the game. i've tried to officiate, and i love it, but i don't feel that i am very good or will ever be very good. i have done a bunch of junior high games, and the local high school a.d. has called me to work a few of his ninth grade games.
in the past, when i have officiated i feel that i've not done a very good job. i watch a lot of basketball and i know the mechanics really really well. and i've gone as far as practicing them in my mirror. i just feel like i am inconsistant. sometimes i call a touch foul and other times i let a foul go when i really should have called it.
like i said i feel my mechanics are good and i blow my fox 40 hard and i think that helps me a little so that the coaches don't get on me too bad. my biggest problem is that i get caught watching the game, and not officiating the game. i'm not looking for a hug, but i would like to know if some of you guys had the same doubts?

thanks
jeremy
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Jeremy,

First of all, don't sell yourself short about what you can do. Given enough experience you can be a good official. Your concentration on the mechanics is a good start. Your appreciation for the game is also a big plus. The consistency that you desire will come with game experience. When I first started officiating I had to think through all the calls. I knew the rules and I had a good base in the game. I remember doing a game in my rookie season with a seasoned veteran. He blew most of the whistles because with him the calls were almost instinctive. I knew what he was calling but I was a half beat slow on the whistle. Just keep at the game and get that experience. Best wishes!

(The above statement should not be construed as a hug.)
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 03:59pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Jeremy40,
You sound like an official to me.
If you go to an Officials'Camp you will glean the confidence you need.
mick
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 04:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Jeremy40 - don't worry about the things you mentioned. You will get better with experience and time. You already have the main quality needed to be a good official - desire.

Remember - there's only been one person in the entire history of officiating who has been perfect from their first game.

I wonder who that is? Ahem.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Jeremy40 - don't worry about the things you mentioned. You will get better with experience and time. You already have the main quality needed to be a good official - desire.

Remember - there's only been one person in the entire history of officiating who has been perfect from their first game.

Gee thanks Mark!

The check is in the mail.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

DeNucci?

Oh - you were referring to yourself!! In that case, you'd be what the headmaster of my high school used to, without fail, call "perfect" from the FT line - 0 for 15!
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Padgett is that your head I see popping up over the Rockies?
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

First, if you put on the shirt and call games, you have earned the right to call yourself a basketball official. You may have self doubts and lack experience but you are still many steps ahead of those who don't even try. Hey, if they keep calling you back, you must be doing something right!

Join a local basketball officials' association that fosters and promotes young officials. Look to other referees for feedback. Get some "veterans” to critique your game. Split fees if you have to. Camps are great but make sure you choose the right level. Most states put on a HS clinic or two in the summer.

Self doubts?? They will fade as soon as you get the feedback you need. It's sounds as if all you need is a little support (hugs sold separately.) Remember, nobody is going to zing you for an individual call, well, not for long anyway. Don't sweat the small stuff. If you recognize your mistakes and make the adjustments, you will continue to have success.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

study the rules and go to camps. You could be doing Varsity in 2-3years. One more thing, work a lot of games, any level and while you work them, work on your mechanics.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 06:23pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Go to http://start.officiating.com for more information on moving up, getting better, etc.

Also, take a look at camp information posted at Officiating.com — you might consider joining as a member — there is a ton of incredibly valuable information published there.