The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrpalmer3
If, however, you want to move up then you need to swallow what has been said about about this foul. This is not a hard call.
This is the dichotomy of basketball officiating. The people who make the rules have nothing to do with those who hire and assign the officials. Despite annual POE's that plea for a reduction in rough play from NFHS and NCAA, local assignors determine how the game should be called under their jurisdiction.

Aspiring officials would do well to heed these experienced voices who say pay attention to the assignors.

I think I finally get it.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
I don't understand the NBA philosophy at times. How was it that Dirk was bailed out on phantom foul calls in games three and four to win the games and Tim could not get the same call in the last game? I don't like to see games decided in the final ten seconds at the foul line if possible, but the Spurs deserve the same calls at the end of the game that the Mavs got in my opinion.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30
I don't understand the NBA philosophy at times. How was it that Dirk was bailed out on phantom foul calls in games three and four to win the games and Tim could not get the same call in the last game? I don't like to see games decided in the final ten seconds at the foul line if possible, but the Spurs deserve the same calls at the end of the game that the Mavs got in my opinion.
Those are obviously judgment calls that neither you nor I are qualified to make since we're not at that level and weren't there to see the plays in-person. I don't know which calls you're referring to specifically, but the officials obviously determined that the fouls against Dallas required a call instead of the one against San Antonio.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

There is a huge difference between a foul called with 40 seconds left and one called with 1 second left. You're not getting a foul to end the game unless someone gets out a chainsaw.

I disagree that we aren't capable of judging these calls as incorrect. Replay shows us clear as day that fouls and missed. It's just wrong to say that we could have made a better call or been in a better position to make that call during live play.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Game three, Dirk Nowitski got a rebound and was fouled with 8 seconds left to decide the game. Tim Duncan did the same thing in game seven, except he was actually hit, and there was no call. The other one was Dirk got a call late when he actually forearmed Bowen in the chest and the foul was called on Bowen and the calls were very late in the game and decided the games.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 03:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Game three, Dirk Nowitski got a rebound and was fouled with 8 seconds left to decide the game. Tim Duncan did the same thing in game seven, except he was actually hit, and there was no call. The other one was Dirk got a call late when he actually forearmed Bowen in the chest and the foul was called on Bowen and the calls were very late in the game and decided the games.
It's a conspiracy, Dave. Don't bother calling David Stern; he's in on it.

Fanboys.....
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 07:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Hey DAVE30.....

Quote:

I think I would call a foul here. What do you think? Has it to do with NBA rules or am I mislead with my judgement? Anyways, there is absolutely no complaining out there about the refs not making this call, so probably they were just right not to make it!

Cheers, Kostja
Dave30, where were you during this discussion??? I don't care one way or another and I didn't see any of the plays live, but I don't remember seeing your opinion on this play nor Kostja's comments.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to UKREF
Definately a foul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostja
I know, nobody here cares about the NBA , but nonetheless I would like to discuss this pic of Dirk Nowitzki's last shot attempt in game 5 of the Dallas - San Antonio series:

I think I would call a foul here. What do you think? Has it to do with NBA rules or am I mislead with my judgement? Anyways, there is absolutely no complaining out there about the refs not making this call, so probably they were just right not to make it!

Cheers, Kostja
This is a def foul , the defender as enteedr the attackers cylinder and you can see there is contact from top to bottom, no question here!! UKREF
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I don't know the NBA rules, but going off the NFHS and NCAA rules that I do know, you would be wrong to call a foul here. The NFHS rulebook contains the following sentence in 10-6-1: "He/she shall not contact an opponent with his/her hand unless such contact is only with the opponent's hand while it is on the ball and is incidental to an attempt to play the ball."
That is exactly what Bowen is doing in this picture. This is one of the cleanest blocks you will ever see.
If in your judgment contact between the player's hips, shorts, biceps, or hair on this play warrants a foul, then you need to do some personal reflection.
Jump Ball??????
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKREF
This is a def foul , the defender as enteedr the attackers cylinder and you can see there is contact from top to bottom, no question here!! UKREF
This is why everyone complained about the officiating at the Olympics, LOL.

The only definite contact seen in this picture is Bowen's forearm on Nowitzki's hand, which is legal contact.

There could be contact at the hip, and at Nowitzki's shoulder, and Bowen's elbow might be about to smack into Dirk's head, but this picture doesn't show any of these clearly, nor does it show the severity of the contact. Based solely on this picture, this is not a foul.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: The poster of the quote above is a Spurs fanboy.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKREF
Fotunately, FEEBLE refs don't officiate NBA playoff games.

You can't call a foul based on a photo.

Old Thu May 25, 2006, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Bowen's block was clean of course! Refs didn't want to bail Dirk out three games in a row!
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

The better team won.

Old Thu May 25, 2006, 03:51pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
The better team won.
Just like last night!! Or did those lousy NBA refs screw the Mavs out of a win there, too??

Oh wait...I just remembered IDGA*!!!!