The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 14, 2000, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Interesting situation that a coaching friend (is that an oxymoron or what?) of mine experienced in a boys JV high school game:
At halftime, Team A (the home team)is leading by one point. Both teams are in their lockerrooms. The coach of Team A has a question about the number of fouls one of his players has. His assistant walks out to the court and takes the official scorebook from the table and returns to the lockerroom with it. They look up what they wanted and returned it to the table. In the meantime, the Varsity Head coach for Team B hears of this and quickly alerts the officials that Team A removed the official scorebook from the table. When the referee and umpire return to the floor to start the second half, the referee calls a "T" on Team A for removing the official scorebook from the table. The second half begins with Team B shooting ttwo technical freethrows and consequently inbounding the ball at midcourt.
Was this the right call? And, if so, where is it stated as such in the rules? If it is the wrong call, how would you have handled the situation? THANKS GUYS!
--TGR
Old Sat Jan 15, 2000, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Was this the right call? And, if so, where is it stated as such in the rules?

Under Scorers' Duties, Rule 2-11-11 states: "The official scorebook shall remain at the scorers' table throughout the game, including all intermissions."

While there is no penalty listed for breaking this rule, the Referee may invoke a combination of 2-3 ("The Referee shall make decisions on any points not specifically covered in the rules") and an unsportsmanlike technical foul 10-1-8.

Obviously, there is good reason not to allow teams to wander off with the official scorebook since pernicious personages might make some editorial revisions to it ("Dammit, all of A1's block attempts were clean yet the official called three fouls...where's that eraser?").

In a sub-varsity game, if i have no reason to suspect dastardly intent, i'll let them off with a stern lecture about why the official scorebook needs to stay at the table.

Varsity staffs should know better. I think i would want to issue a T in this instance, but i'm not so sold on that call that my partner couldn't talk me out of it. I'd also be more likely to give the T to the team that supplied the Official Scorer as keeping the scorebook at the table is one of his duties.

In all cases, i'd take the time to review the official scorebook with the Official Scorer and the other team's scorer to ensure that no alterations were made...
Old Sat Jan 15, 2000, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

TGR,

A good question with no clear-cut answer (or one that I know of by 'case book' example)! According to rule 2-1, the scorer and timer are assistants to the officials. Also, according to rule 2-8-1, the officials can only penalize unsportsmanlike conduct by any player, coach, substitute, team attendant, or follower.

Therefore, I reason that there is NO PENALTY for the situation that occurred.

If anyone can find anything different, let me know!

KDM

Old Sat Jan 15, 2000, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

After checking the books over with the vistors, would anyone consider making the vistors book the "official book" in the 2nd half? Could we do this?

Old Sat Jan 15, 2000, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Very good Ken,

Excellent dissection of the play and the situation. Apply the rules where applicable and instruct where possible.

KDR,

Remember the point Ken made about the referee ruling on anything not specifically stated in the rulebook. This would apply here.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2000, 03:22am
certified Hot Mom tester

quote:
Originally posted by KDM on 01-15-2000 12:02 AM
TGR,

Also, according to rule 2-8-1, the officials can only penalize unsportsmanlike conduct by any player, coach, substitute, team attendant, or follower.

Therefore, I reason that there is NO PENALTY for the situation that occurred.

If anyone can find anything different, let me know!

KDM

The original post said the coach sent his "assistant". Where I come from, assistants to coaches are assistant coaches and therefore coaches.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2000, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett on 01-16-2000 02:22 AM

The original post said the coach sent his "assistant". Where I come from, assistants to coaches are assistant coaches and therefore coaches.

Mark,

I stand corrected. In our area, JV games seldom have an 'assistant' coach. But that doesn't excuse myself from not properly reading the original post.

KDM

Old Mon Jan 17, 2000, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Since it was pointed out that I misintrepreted part of the original post, allow me to alter my reply.

I reason, from the original post, that there is NO PENALTY for the situation that occurred. I know, I didn't change my stance.

It is the scorer's responsibility to manage control of the book thru-out the game (including between quarters). Discretion must be used in calling such technical fouls(under rule 2-3), however, lest a team be unjustly penalized.

In the post, we do not know if the scorer was at the table when team A took the book. Nor do we know if the scorer encouraged or discouraged the removal.

A strong reprimand (explaining the rule and its intent) or possibly the removal of the scorer is the best solution to an unfortunate situation.

Just a note for those that give a 'T' to the home team for suppling the scorer in the original post. What if team B took the book from the table ---- penalize the home team??

KDM