Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Wouldn't this "illegal arm" be a double jeopardy problem for the defense, because, in reality, the defense can't touch the illegal arm and the ballhandler is not automatically violating (contrary to definition) ?
I guess you could look at it that way. I've always thought of the "illegal arm" as pushing away the defender's attempt at the ball or as pushing the defender (like a real football "stiff arm").
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 09:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I see it like the moving screen. The ball handler can put his arm out there all he wants as long as he doesn't alter or impede the movement of the defender. A defender can contort himself into all sorts of positions to redirect the ball handler, until there's contact, nothing.

If I've got an offensive player sticking his arm out but not making contact, and the defender hacks through it; I'm probably calling the hack. Sticking your arm out doesn't make it free game any more than not being in Legal Guarding Position makes the defender free game for an offensive elbow.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 09:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
If I've got an offensive player sticking his arm out but not making contact, and the defender hacks through it; I'm probably calling the hack. Sticking your arm out doesn't make it free game any more than not being in Legal Guarding Position makes the defender free game for an offensive elbow.
Then you are calling that action like most everyone is calling it.
Seems like 4-24-7 doesn't make much sense, does it ? It's just one of those "So what?" rules.

mick
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 01:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yeah, I guess so.
I do, however, like 4-24-2, "It is legal use of the hands to reach...." I know it talks about slapping the hand when it's on the ball, but I may have to quote those 9 words to a coach some time when he's crying for me to call a "reach."