The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 06, 2006, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Steve Javie inadvertent whistle

Given that the game was a blowout, there probably were not many viewers but did anyone see the inadvertent whistle by Steve Javie in the Suns-Lakers game seven? Javie was Lead and whistled a hit [illegal hands, whatever] on a Laker's player; the Trail official came in and convinced Javie that the hit on the ball was clean. Result of the play was then a jump ball.
Seemed unusual; I guess the alleged foul occurred close enough to an area that Lead and Trail would share. Any comments?
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

I saw that play and I was surprised that Joe Forte came in to talk to Steve Javie about the foul call. A lot of times at a high level you let your partner live or die by his/her whistle. I was hoping for a replay, but there wasn't one so it's tough to say who was correct in this situation. I'm assuming that it was a clean hit otherwise Steve would've stuck with his original call.
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 09:28am
Courageous When Prudent

I missed the play, my cable was set to watch another show and the play occurred at the exact moment my TV changed channels. By the time I turned back all I saw was Javie repeatedly saying "my fault, bad whistle" or something to that effect then a jump ball at half court with D'antoni chewing Joe Forte's ear.
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribble
I saw that play and I was surprised that Joe Forte came in to talk to Steve Javie about the foul call. A lot of times at a high level you let your partner live or die by his/her whistle. I was hoping for a replay, but there wasn't one so it's tough to say who was correct in this situation. I'm assuming that it was a clean hit otherwise Steve would've stuck with his original call.
your right Sir!!!let your partner live or die by his whistle---especially if he blows his whistle for a foul, JUDGEMENT!!!----out bounds, if you are very sure,that's the time you should help your partner, just to save the game.
I think this IS the 1st time happened in NBA.
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

I saw this play and this should be slot's call. It was a curl play going away from lead and coming towards slot. I was suprised to see this changed to an inadvertant whistle.

There have also been 2 blarges in the last couple of days. Both took place in the Cleveland vs Washington series.
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

I don't think we're talking about the same play. The one that Javie called was right in front of him as the lead and Forte was the tableside trail. Thus, the slot was completely out of the play.
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribble
I don't think we're talking about the same play. The one that Javie called was right in front of him as the lead and Forte was the tableside trail. Thus, the slot was completely out of the play.
No we are talking about the same play. At least I hope that Javie didn't have 2 inadvertant whistles .

A1 is posting up B1 in the post right in front of Javie. A1 then spins towards the lane and this is where C has the best look at the play. The NBA wants C to make this call because they are looking right through the players. Javie made the foul call but he was straight lined and didn't have a good look at it.
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

It wasn't actually a post-up play yet. The defender ran from the baseline to swat the ball away as soon as the offensive player received a pass - so there was no time to set up and make an offensive move. The offensive player was beginning a turn to the basket (from what I recall), but the defender arrived immediately after charging in from several feet away. I think this is what Dribbler is pointing out - it was not a set offensive play. Javie must have responded to the speed with which the defender charged up, or reacted to something other than a clear hit on the arms, otherwise I'm sure he would not have backed down.