Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Question

Alright all you referee junkies, here's the situation:

-HS Girls Varsity game ~ Semi-final State Tournament
-Team A head and shoulders above the rest of the field,
could compete with most NAIA Women's teams.
-Team A up by 30 with about 4 minutes left in the game.
-A1 shoots a three from the top of the key, nothin' but net ~
-B1 knocks A1 down boxing out, well after A1 had returned to the floor, but before the dead ball.
-Coach B is used to winning, frustrated to no end, and thinks that Team A is running up the score ~ Not Happy.
-You report the foul on the floor and score the basket for 3.
-You think it should be a bonus, scorer says 6.
-Switch, and your partner inbounds ball to Team A on the sideline ~ scoreboard still says 6.
-Team A Throws the ball in, makes 3 passes and throws the ball away on the baseline.
-You're ready to inbound the ball as the new trail, look at the time and notice the scoreboard now says 7.
-Coach A is oblivious, as is Coach B, your partner, and the entire crowd.
-You know the situation, and how to handle it by the book, you also know that as soon as you hand the ball to B1 for the throw-in, the time frame for correcting the error is over. In an effort to maintain what little flow you have to this game, you say nothing and quietly hand the ball to B1.

Here's the Question~
Have you just contributed to a healthy flow by not rubbing salt in the wound of Team B and showing off your rules knowledge, or have you committed a serious breach of ethics by setting aside a rule?
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 09:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357

Here's the Question~
Have you just contributed to a healthy flow by not rubbing salt in the wound of Team B and showing off your rules knowledge, or have you committed a serious breach of ethics by setting aside a rule?
Tough call, Blackhawk357 !
My knee jerk reaction is to put the ball in play, ... and right now!
mick

Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Here's the Question~

I’ll let you be your own judge.

What I would have done is walk over to the table and ask the scorer(s) what is going on. This in a polite, but a little louder than normal, voice while pointing to the scoreboard. If they say it is 7 then in that same polite voice I would tell the clock that he should have signaled you when he changed the 6 to 7.

As for coach B, that is his problem. A situation has occurred that is a violation of the overall rules of the game, any game for that matter. I would be more inclined to apologies to coach A for this. In fact I would even call both of them to the table and explain what is what and shoot the 1 and 1. This is not a judgment call or an advantage/disadvantage call; it is a situation that must be corrected.

Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 10:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

No way...

...do I stop play at this point or call attention to anything other than keeping the ball in play.

Rich
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 10:22am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:

Here's the Question~

I’ll let you be your own judge.

What I would have done is walk over to the table and ask the scorer(s) what is going on. This in a polite, but a little louder than normal, voice while pointing to the scoreboard. If they say it is 7 then in that same polite voice I would tell the clock that he should have signaled you when he changed the 6 to 7.

As for coach B, that is his problem. A situation has occurred that is a violation of the overall rules of the game, any game for that matter. I would be more inclined to apologies to coach A for this. In fact I would even call both of them to the table and explain what is what and shoot the 1 and 1. This is not a judgment call or an advantage/disadvantage call; it is a situation that must be corrected.

RecRef,
The onus is on the State's scorekeeper(s).
A double-check was made at the table and the book is official.
Had the scorekeeper buzzed,then we deal with it.

Who says the State's clock operator is correct?

The losing coach would be bad-mouthing the tournament as entirely incompetent with the timer and the scorekeeper both screwing it up, while he takes everything out on the official.

Now if this occured in Florida, it may a be totally acceptable practice.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Rec Ref. The official at the table screwed up, before, during and after by not being aware of what was going on in his book. The floor officials should have been notified of the error on the first dead ball and the free throws shot. It doesn't matter if it is a 1 point game or a 30 point game, 1st minute of play or the last minute. What would have been done if it was reversed and the losing team was fouled? Would the losing team been allowed to shoot the free throws. YOU BET! The right thing needs to be done and the officials should have made it so. Fix the problem if the time period allows it and move on. Thanks
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 12:31pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Here's the Question~
In my game, the ball was inbounded before I noticed the error.

Sorry coach. Good luck in the final.

Mike
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Two words- Game awareness

Those words being said, I will freely admit to not being aware in these sort of situations at times. But a blowout means you can look at the foul count a little closer.

If this were a low level rec game blowout, I might overlook the 7th in the situation you describe, but in a State game? No way! Get it right.

BTW, we have a snowstorm happening right now here in Seattle!
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I agree that this depends on the level of the game. Low level game, it goes unnoticed. But if it's a varsity game where the point totals count toward school and/or conference records, then the player deserves to have his opportunity.

Chuck
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Tough call,

You know the leagues and how they operate, and whether points for/against play a role. Sounds to me like it wouldn't here, so get the ball back in play, manage coaches later.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I'm not sure why there's such a rush to get the ball back in play. Talk to the table, if that was the seventh we're gonna shoot. Why do I care by how much B is winning or losing? Besides the fact it's the rule, you never know who's in the stands watching you. Could be you blew an opportunity by being a nice guy to coach B.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Thumbs up

No surprise, but. . . great point, Dan!
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 05:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm not seeing where the problem is here. You've double checked with the table, and they told you twice that it was only 6. As far as you know, the clock guy has it wrong. Since the scorer has told you without reservation that it's only six, don't you have to assume the clock has it wrong? Unless the buzzer goes off for a correctable, why delay the game?

Adam
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe it is just a carry-over of the way I was raised. But if I notice the possible error...it gets corrected...period! I'm there to do a job and will do it to the best of my ability and in accordance with the rules of the game.

Really can't see why anyone would debate this internally. If you are a good enough official to get a State Semi game...this seems to be a "No Brainer"
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

I say talk it over with the bench before putting the ball in play. What if you got to the Double Bonus, and the coach starts yelling then about how could you be in the double bonus....We only had three fouls from that point earlier. Just my miniscule opinion from the Great White North of Alaska! Which is not so great white! NO SNOW!
How am I going to get to the games! No Dog Sled

AK ref SE