The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

I Need Some Advice

Hello All,
I would like to ask some advice from some of the veteran officials on the forum. I have been officiating for 5 years on the High School Varsity level. I have been invited to my first College camp/tryout. I am trying to get an idea about what the assigners will be looking for. What should I work on that would be different from what I do at the High School level. As I know most officials do, I take what I do in my strips seriously. I would really like to make a good impression and hopefully get assigned some games next season. So I would really like to partake of the wisdom of the forum. Any tips or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

By the way this is a Women’s JUCO Camp.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Every observer is different. They all see different things. So my advice is simply to work your game. Do the things have made you successful so far. Hustle, listen (to coaches and observers), communicate (with coaches and partners), and make good calls. Make sure you look the part -- posture and uniform -- and work hard. What else can you do, really? Good luck.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
I am pretty excited about the opportunity, and I plan to make the most of it. thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Women's JUCO...hmmm...be tall and be a woman? Sorry I couldn't resist. Chuck said it well. Good luck. I went to my first Juco camps last summer and hopefully soon the contracts will be coming. The hard part for me as a single guy was not hitting on some of the players.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Women's JUCO...hmmm...be tall and be a woman? Sorry I couldn't resist. Chuck said it well. Good luck. I went to my first Juco camps last summer and hopefully soon the contracts will be coming. The hard part for me as a single guy was not hitting on some of the players.
I can be tall, but it’s the other part I am going to have trouble with. lol
thanks Junker.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 09:13am
Courageous When Prudent

First Impressions

Hustle, Hustle, Hustle when you are on the court.

Good Posture at all times when you are on the court.

Strong, crisp mechanics. Strong voice.

Listen to observers. Don't debate with them. You are not always going to agree with an observer's opinion, but arguing with them will not serve you well. At the most if you don't agree you may ask a question like "What do you think I should have done differently on that play?, listen to the answer, and move on.

Don't be afraid questions but don't ask a million questions.

When not working a game watch another game and listen to the observer's comments but don't interject yourself into that game.

Don't point out other referees' mistakes to observers.

Off-court wardrobe: Khaki-type shorts with golf/polo type shirts; or nice, matching sweat-suits.

Those are some of the things you can control.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 09:57am
Esteemed Participant

The two most important words to memorize and practice before showing up at the camp - "I understand." The two words to never, never, NEVER let slip past your lips - "Yeah, but..."

Follow those two simple pieces of advice and most observers will love you...
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Follow those two simple pieces of advice and most observers will love you...
It helps if you get some calls right, too. . .
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Relax and have fun. You got invited to the tryout because you've showed potential. Just ref your game, work hard and don't be a know-it-all. Do what you did that got ya' the invitation.

One more thing: I do know a couple refs who got hammered for referring to players as "ladies." If you need to refer to them, using the term "players" or "number 24" will never get you in trouble.

Z
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
I do know a couple refs who got hammered for referring to players as "ladies."
This just strikes me as dumb and overly PC. They're girls/women. It can't possibly be offensive to refer to them that way, when a respectful term is used. I call the guys "gentlemen" and the girls "ladies".
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
This just strikes me as dumb and overly PC. They're girls/women. It can't possibly be offensive to refer to them that way, when a respectful term is used. I call the guys "gentlemen" and the girls "ladies".
Yeah, Chuck, I agree with you, but have you seen some of these 'girls/women'?? They ain't quite 'ladies' - nor are they trying to be - if you know what I'm saying. That would be one reason not to refer to them as such.

Reference: Cheryl Swoopes.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 10:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The term "ladies" has a connotation of servitude or living up to a certain standard of behavior. It has nothing to do with being PC it is what the term means. Now maybe you will find people that will not care, but many people do.

Peace
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Thanks everyone for all your great advice.
Like many of you have said, I am going to go there and just be myself. I will make sure my mechanics are solid and my appearance is good. Keep my eyes and ears open and respect the feed back from the observers.
I just have to avoid putting any unnecessary pressure on myself.
Thanks again every one
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I know there are people who are offended by the term 'ladies'. My husband is one of them. I'm not.

My advice would be to take zebraman's advice a little more broadly and try to find out if there are certain things that certain evaluators tend to harp on. If you know someone in your area who works with these people, or has been to camp under them, ask what the PersonalPOE's are for each clinician. You may or may not decide to "play up" to those, but at least you'll know what's coming.

I might add that I've been to several college camps (never even close to getting picked up) and I think the most important thing to do is to stay involved and included in everything. If your face is there within the vision of several clinicians most of the time, you'll be more likely to get picked up next year, if you aren't this year. I'm not speaking from personal experience, but rather from what I've seen with other people.

Also, you might consider choosing a clinician to be your personal mentor for next season, even if you don't get picked up for college. This is a really good way to elevate your high school game, and also to get your name on the clipboard for next year.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The term "ladies" has a connotation of servitude or living up to a certain standard of behavior.
I have never, ever, ever in my whole life heard anything like that. Nobody that I've ever heard of has ever used "ladies" to indicate servitude. I agree that "lady" has a connotation of living UP to a certain standard (although not nearly as much today as in generations past), but it has never had a connotation of DOWN. Now, when JR mutters "wimmin", that's a different story.

I think it is a matter of PC-speak, and we'll simply have to disagree on that. But in any event, Juulie's advice is good. If you know ahead of time that a certain evaluator doesn't like certain things, then don't do/say them in front of that evaluator.