Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref-X
No, Martin Novitch's camp in Jersey.
Maybe he left off the trailing "a"?

Old Thu May 04, 2006, 07:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Here's what I don't understand...why does *my* thoughtful, intelligent humorous post get deleted and why does THIS example of low-brow Neanderthal thought get to stay? Why?
...because the author of that post is the epitome...nay, the absolute zenith...of class, distinction and savoir faire!

So there....
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 08:29pm
Official & Member

This whole "ladies" discussion is mindblowing to me. I have been officiating youth ball from age 9 to varsity HS for 10 years. It never once dawned on me that the term "ladies" may be offensive. I honestly can't imagine how it would offend the players, but I'll defer to the veterans here. I know several female HS coaches that I'll approach next season and get their feedback. This topic might be a better thread on it's own.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Thu May 04, 2006 at 08:31pm.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Or "she". Oops!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref-X
No, Martin Novitch's camp in Jersey.
Quote:
Maybe he left off the trailing "a"?

You think Martin's the only one doing observations there?
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
You think Martin's the only one doing observations there?
No, when did I say that?

Quote:

But don't take my word for it or any of the other so-called experts here. When you show up for camp ask the camp director what *he* prefers.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
...because the author of that post is the epitome...nay, the absolute zenith...of class, distinction and savoir faire!

So there....
Attention! Mods!

Some hacker with a HS education stole JR's password!
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Let's Move On.

I have asked once before and stated that I would delete future posts that spurred continued argument (v. debate) over the whole issue of the usage of the word ladies. I have deleted the last two posts.

There are obviously differing opinions here and they have been stated. Please accept that people will not agree on this issue.

The person who started this thread asked for advice on how to improve his chances of having a successful camp experience. There are obviously a lot of people in this forum community that have spent a lot of $$$ and time in a camp environment (myself included). Let's take the time to help lift a fellow "up and coming official" and be productive by sharing our wealth of knowledge and diverse experiences at camp.

Thanks
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 10:01am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie
I have asked once before and stated that I would delete future posts that spurred continued argument (v. debate) over the whole issue of the usage of the word ladies. I have deleted the last two posts.

There are obviously differing opinions here and they have been stated. Please accept that people will not agree on this issue.

The person who started this thread asked for advice on how to improve his chances of having a successful camp experience. There are obviously a lot of people in this forum community that have spent a lot of $$$ and time in a camp environment (myself included). Let's take the time to help lift a fellow "up and coming official" and be productive by sharing our wealth of knowledge and diverse experiences at camp.

Thanks
Good grief...we have such in-depth threads as "which shoes do we all wear?", "which whistle is the best?", etc., etc., but posts on how we should refer to players on the court during a BASKETBALL game have no business on a BASKETBALL discussion board? That's some good thinking right there...

And as to the original poster, there's been some great advice given...here's another piece of advice (don't know that it's very good, but here it is anyway) - have fun and don't expect anything. Just go there with the thought that you are going to have a great time and soak in as much as you can and that way if you get hired, cake! If not, then you still met your expectations - had fun and learned lots.
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 10:36am
Do not give a damn!!

I am going to have to completely agree with Rocky. What is going to happen if we discuss other issues on this board that deal with social and racial issues? I know I cannot work a single basketball game without the some consideration to social and racial issues. Either people assume I am from a certain place because of what I look like, or the teams have a different break down racially and socially that there is an underlining tension in the game that even comes out in ways many would not be able to handle on the surface. This issue was talked about from a veteran poster that had experiences about using a certain word. I had also never heard of a situation in a basketball game where this was a problem, and I learned something and it makes me wonder now when I go to camps. There might be some fundamental disagreement the validity or the social significance, but to squelch all conversation about it is silly. We are all adults here and should be able to have a constructive conversation. I did not read any name calling or accusing anyone of anything. I simply read debate about the issue and why some decided not to use or continue to use certain language.

I just think this board could have learned more by the discussion rather than terminating any discussion on the issue. I also do not like the fact that you guys pick and choose what is OK and what is not when there are other postst that are only about social and political opinions. If you are going to keep those up, why not this discussion that deals directly with officiating?

Peace
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Good grief...we have such in-depth threads as "which shoes do we all wear?", "which whistle is the best?", etc., etc., but posts on how we should refer to players on the court during a BASKETBALL game have no business on a BASKETBALL discussion board? That's some good thinking right there...

And as to the original poster, there's been some great advice given...here's another piece of advice (don't know that it's very good, but here it is anyway) - have fun and don't expect anything. Just go there with the thought that you are going to have a great time and soak in as much as you can and that way if you get hired, cake! If not, then you still met your expectations - had fun and learned lots.
And here's 1 more piece of advice for the OP: if the camp you attend has male players do not, under *any* circumstances, call them ladies.
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
I'm with JRut on this...

This board can be used to further education in many areas, and this topic is a solid one to discuss. I ahve worked with several women officials & coaches doing all levels of ball from Jr High to JUCO, and have never once heard or seen someone react to the word 'ladies' in a negative fashion. In fact, it can be a respectful term. I've heard more coaches address their players in the fashion of "OK, ladies!" when trying to get their attention in the huddle, so why wouldn't I address them as ladies on the court?

As with most words or phrases, it's not the word that is used, but how the word is used.
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I have to agree as well....we discuss a lot of stuff here. It has been said before but here it goes again. If someone finds the thread offensive or off topic or uninteresting, then don't read it any further...
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 11:54am
Esteemed Participant

So after a few private e-mails back and forth with BBall_Junkie I now understand his point about keeping to the original topic on this thread and apologize for the shot I took at him earlier...
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
So after a few private e-mails back and forth with BBall_Junkie I now understand his point about keeping to the original topic on this thread and apologize for the shot I took at him earlier...
Looks like Rock's gone over to the other side...we'll miss him but we'll keep up the good fight!!

btw, having read some of the idiocy he deleted (excluding my post of course) I understand his point as well.

That is all, ladies.
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Looks like Rock's gone over to the other side
You mean he's a lady now? That's some pretty persuasive emails!