The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Get recruited for NCAA official

all, I need some insight. I have been officiating basketball at the high school varsity lever for 6 years. I'm getting up in age, I'll be 49 in three weeks. I never though that I was good enough to go to the next level. I have been doing basktaball all year round now and have found that I truly enjoy it more than doing football. Ok, let's cut to the chase. I've been getting lot's of compliments from veteran officials about my work and have been asked if I considered the next level. I live in the Northern Virginia area. Am I being foolish setting my sights on doing NCAA at least D3 based on my age? Are there any good camps that I stand a good chance on getting recruited if these guys say I'm as good as they say. I'm my worst enemy.

Anyone Please provide conference information that I can look up via internet.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Are any of the veterans you work with college officials? If so, I'd talk to them and see what they think. I was at a camp recently and have reset my goals to be working the majority of my games at the college level by the time I'm 40 (I'm 34 currently and on a JUCO sub list). At that point, I'm going to talk to some of the D1 guys I know and make a decision on whether or not I should pay the bigger money for the bigger camps. The hard part is going to be preparing for the realization that I just might not have what it takes to work that level. Interesting topic for a thread, I'll be waiting to see what some of the D1 guys say.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 02:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_ Fred
Ok, let's cut to the chase. I've been getting lot's of compliments from veteran officials about my work and have been asked if I considered the next level. I live in the Northern Virginia area. Am I being foolish setting my sights on doing NCAA at least D3 based on my age?
Fred, I have similar thoughts. I didn't start til I was 37 and I'll be 42 next month. Being divorced with 13 & 7 year-old boys plus working full-time I flip-flop constantly on whether or not I'm wasting good energy by chasing the college dream that I could utilize elsewhere.

A good place to start to get your feet wet with college ball would be the MACBOA, which assigns all the JuCo games in Maryland plus they are responsible for Columbia Union College in the DC suburbs. They hold their try-out camp every July the weekend after Independence Day at American University. There are a lot of NorVA guys on staff. http://www.macboa.org/main.html
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Get recruited for NCCAA official.

I agree, i do have some camps. PSAC, USA SAC, CIAA, BAOG, etc. I wanted additional. I also want diferent opinions. Also Just as they are looking to recruit officials, I want to recruit them as well.

Thanks for your input..
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 02:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Your time has past for a realistic consideration for working D1 ball. Working D3 and D2 might be very realistic. Of course where you live, the type of conferences and the assignor you work for will play a role in what you will eventually do. If I were you go for it. You never know what might happen. Everyone that works lower level college ball is not in their 20s. There are many guys 40 and above and have been very successful at officiating those games. You never know what will happen if you try.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Get recruited for NCCAA official.

Yes, I am very aware that I missed the boat for D1, I was more hopeful for D3.

Keep in mind that the official who may be the same age as I doing college ball, they already have establish a reputation in the conference, League. This is what my hesitation is about going. the odds for me at my age isvery low. I just have to give it a try. I'll never know until I do it.

here goes a little advertisement for Nike,"Just do it"

I want to thank you for your thoughts and opinions.

thanks
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 02:52pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_ Fred
Yes, I am very aware that I missed the boat for D1, I was more hopeful for D3.

Keep in mind that the official who may be the same age as I doing college ball, they already have establish a reputation in the conference, League. This is what my hesitation is about going. the odds for me at my age isvery low. I just have to give it a try. I'll never know until I do it.

here goes a little advertisement for Nike,"Just do it"

I want to thank you for your thoughts and opinions.

thanks
Follow your own advice and Do It! What's the worst that can happen? The assignors at all these camps tell you "Sorry, you're too old." And then you keep right on reffing HS ball and don't kick yourself for not trying college...my guess would be that - if you are as good as people have been telling you - someone will give you a shot at JC, D-III, maybe even D-II...but if you never give it a try, you'll never find out. Have fun!
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 03:02pm
If you need me, text me!

Ref Fred,

Looking for D3 in the DC area, the Capital Conference may be the place to start. I can get you the information on this year's evaluation camp at Gettysburg College. The Capital has schools right there in your backyard including Gallaudet, Mary Washington, Marymount, Catholic, and Goucher.

OCReferee
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah...really!

The worst thing that can happen is that you don't get hired and learn something in the process.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 03:10pm
Huck Finn

Fred, turn your PMs on.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Get recruited for NCAA official.

Thanks OCReferee, Could you provide me the info on Capital conference. I would greatly apprecate it.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

@Ref Fred

Just curious, but what association are you associated with in northern VA?
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 08:35am
If you need me, text me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Fred, turn your PMs on.
Fred,

I can get you the info by email. Send me a private message with your address and I'll send it to you today.

OCReferee
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 09:04am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocreferee
Fred,

I can get you the info by email. Send me a private message with your address and I'll send it to you today.

OCReferee
That isn't why I wanted him to turn his PM on.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Get recruited for NCAA official.

It's turned on, PM