The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Flags on Shirts

I know I might get absolutely roasted for this, but I'd like to find out others' opinions of flag patches on shirts (obviously, the US flag). I'd rather not have them on there. No, I'm not unpatriotic and wear a flag lapel pin with sport jackets and suits. I even have a flag t-shirt I wore quite a bit until it became unwearable for anything other than mowing the yard.

Aside from the fact that different organizations want the flag placed in different areas on the shirt, I'm not sure its necessary. I think it would look great on the NBA shirt (due to the blue), but doesn't look that good on the black/white shirts or even the amateur grey shirts. No, I don't think that its bad to display the flag -- quite the opposite. Nor do I think being in favor or disfavor of flag wearing has to be politically based.

What's your view: favorable, unfavorable, or indifferent? Let's not get into a political discussion here. Wearing a flag doesn't mean you fully support certain things nor does not wearing it mean you don't support those things.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

I prefer not wearing them. It's one less thing I have to ask my wife to sew for me.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 04:28pm
Administrator

I am not unpatriotic either, but according the the Flag Code for the U.S. Flag, the only uniforms that the flag should be worn on are military uniforms and fire fighter and police uniforms.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I am not unpatriotic either, but according the the Flag Code for the U.S. Flag, the only uniforms that the flag should be worn on are military uniforms and fire fighter and police uniforms.

MTD, Sr.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 04:48pm
Huck Finn

I would like to chime in on this. As an official I don't like wearing anything on my shirts. I go along with it, but I would prefer to leave it off. I just think our plain uniforms look good enough. I especially don't like wearing the middle man, oh I mean IAABO patch.

As a member of the military for 17 years, I'm somewhat annoyed or offended by this - not this thread but the American use of the flag depending on events that happen to Americans. Some things dealing with patriotic behavior and the defense of our country is faddish. After the Gulf War we were popular (the military). Discounts galore and other things. Those things went away until 911. Now we are somewhat popular; not as much because this has been more of a slow grind as opposed to getting in and getting out of the Gulf. I don't think we need to have the red carpet rolled out at every establishment because it is the path we chose - I will not refuse that treatment because we are not getting rich. However, the up and down popularity thing is something that sort of rubs me the wrong way. I will say I've seen nothing but encouraging words about the military from members of this forum and we all appreciate them!

Last edited by tomegun; Mon Apr 17, 2006 at 04:51pm.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 05:23pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
We have the flags on both types of shirts. I can take them or leave them. It is those dorky looking car window jobs that get all tattered that bug me the most. My son just got back from the ME in December and I really appreciate all that the military have done in our history and into our future. But I do not give salutes to members of the armed service as I have never served myself, and I do agree that there has been a huge overuse of our national emblem.

Our association voted to have them, however, and as a member, I comply by having my wife sew them on.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

I only wear a flag on my football shirt. Why? Well when 9-11 happen it was during football season. I do not know any football official that did not put them on their shirts at that time and no one has suggested since then to change. Every one of my football shirts has a flag on the right shoulder. Now when basketball season came around you would work with guys that would wear them and others that would not. I have found it personally a pain in the behind to try to match. So I just decided not to wear them on any shirts.

I philosophically do not agree with wearing flags because we all know what country we are from. I do not work soccer and not very many players are from other countries. If they are so what, I know where I was born and where I am from. I personally find the use of the flag as a hollow gesture. It has nothing to do with patriotism if you ask me. There are people that wear the flag but will not make any other sacrifice for this country, so what is the point?

Peace
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

I like wearing them. I like the patriotic symbolism, after all we do start each game with the national anthem, don't we? I also like the way they balance out the look of the sleeves. In both states I officiate in we have the state patch on the left sleeve and the American flag on the right. It looks very professional to me.
Also, I was eating lunch in a Wendy's about two weeks ago and struck up a conversation with a young soldier back on leave from Iraq. The subject of flags on the sleeve came up. When we finished eating, we shook hands and he walked out to his car and gave me a flag patch -- one of the ones that are evidently proper mlitary etiquette -- that has the blue box with the stars in the top RIGHT corner. He never gave me his name, but you can bet I'll wear that one with pride on the court.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:57pm
M.A.S.H.

Doesn't bother me either way, however what does bother me is whenever they put them on their shirts and the stars aren't facing forward, i.e., putting a flag designed for your left sleeve on your right sleeve -- which is commonly done.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

As a retired military man, I can honestly say I don't like wearing the flag patch on my shirt, reason being is I have shown loyalty & continue to do so. I do not need to wear a flag to show my patriotism.

Also I believe that it can look un-professional when the officials have mix-match flags on their shirts. One official has the flag with the white border & another official has the gold border, different sizes, etc. JMO
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

I prefer to not have the flag patch on ref shirts. IMO, it clutters up the shirt.

I understand that the flag patches were a natural reaction to 911. I have always had an American flag on a flag pole in my front yard along with one other neighbor. After 911, almost every house on the street had one. Now it's back to just me and my neighbor.

IMO, a flag patch on a ref shirt doesn't make someone any more or less patriotic.

Z
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

I like the flag patch personally, although my association doesn't wear a patch, I wouldn't mind having it on my shirt.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 02:24pm
M.A.S.H.

I've got one on my jacket, however I don't have any on my shirts. Most of the officials in my area have them on their jackets.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 03:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

What are the thoughts about clothing looking like the US flag? Or, at least, the patterns of Stars and Stripes?

Also, I love seeing the Bald Eagle fly during the Bills' home openers, which is usually around September 11th.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

US flag on shirt

I had the issue that different organization require the flag being in different locations, I found by putting velcro on the back of the flag, the flag sticks well on the polyester shirt. Don't have to so or glue flag on the shirt. Works for me.