The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

NBA two man.....CAVS game

Anyone watching the Cavs and Hornets Game!!!!! They lost an official in the 4th quarter. Its nice to see the NBA using two man.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 09:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Who was the official that got hurt?

Peace
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Ken Mauer was one official but I dont know who the official that got injured was. All I know is that he got injured near the 10 minute mark in the 4th quarter. There positioning was very interested near the end of the game. I wonder how familiar they are with two man or if they just have to go back to what they knew from officiating two man from ealier in there life.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrothunda
Ken Mauer was one official but I dont know who the official that got injured was. All I know is that he got injured near the 10 minute mark in the 4th quarter. There positioning was very interested near the end of the game. I wonder how familiar they are with two man or if they just have to go back to what they knew from officiating two man from ealier in there life.
Not the first time I've seen them have to resort to two person mechanics due to injury. Also they worked two person in the NBA Celebrity game
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
If I'm not mistaken, they were forced to go 2-whistle during the playoffs last year or the year before in 2 different games, b/c of injuries. We talked about it briefly on the forum.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

The officials were Ken Mauer, Matt Boland & Scott Foster. I don't know which one got hurt.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrothunda
The pros are decently familiar with the 2 man system, especially the guys with about 15 years in the league. It is discussed in the NBA officials manual, so that is where probably some of the young ones get there info.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 12:38pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
If I'm not mistaken, they were forced to go 2-whistle during the playoffs last year or the year before in 2 different games, b/c of injuries. We talked about it briefly on the forum.
They didn't have the alternate back then?
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I think they only use an alternate for the conference finals and the NBA finals. I think.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 12:41pm
M.A.S.H.

Good point, you'd think they'd have one for every playoff game.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 06:30pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I think they only use an alternate for the conference finals and the NBA finals. I think.

I think a private message to M&M is in order. I think.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm not mistaken, last year was the first year they started having an alternate in every game of the playoffs due to the injuries the year prior.

The NBA two-man system is more similiar to the FIBA mechanics and would look very different to those doing NFHS. You essentially return to your "home" side of the court and trail initiates the rotations, but you return "home" as soon as possible. I don't have my NBA mechanics manual with me, so I can't confirm this though...this is just what I gathered from talking to the pros.
Old Thu Apr 13, 2006, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribble
If I'm not mistaken, last year was the first year they started having an alternate in every game of the playoffs due to the injuries the year prior.

The NBA two-man system is more similiar to the FIBA mechanics and would look very different to those doing NFHS. You essentially return to your "home" side of the court and trail initiates the rotations, but you return "home" as soon as possible. I don't have my NBA mechanics manual with me, so I can't confirm this though...this is just what I gathered from talking to the pros.
From what I have noticed it is the same as NFHS in that the Lead rotates to strong side.
Old Thu Apr 13, 2006, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Snake, it's more like the OLD high school mechanics, where you had a "normal" position, and a "reverse box" position. You always box in at the beginning of the play, but if that put you in the "reverse" position, then the Lead and Trail would both switch sides of the court in the middle of the play to get back to their "normal" position.

So if the ball goes OOB on the "wrong" sideline, the Trail goes over to administer the throw-in, but then crosses the court during play to get back to his/her correct sideline.
Old Thu Apr 13, 2006, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
I didn't notice any of that when I watched, I wasn't paying too close attention. I will take a closer look next time they are working 2-person.