The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribble

For non-patents, I found that the New Balance 620 model to be terrific. Unbelieveable cushioning! Unfortunately, I just don't think they look that good.
Then polish them w/ Leather Luster
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I have been wearing New Balance.
If you have a New Balance store near your area they give 10% off if you show them that you ref High School ect.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

I alternate between nike shox & nike air down low.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrash3
I have been wearing New Balance.
If you have a New Balance store near your area they give 10% off if you show them that you ref High School ect.
How do you show them? Do you have a card that states you are a high school official?

Maybe you show them some of your mechanics and that impresses them enough to give you 10%.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I HATE my Reebok patent leathers!
Reebok is an old Afrikaans word that means "Sore Achilles Tendon", LOL.

I have wide feet, so the New Balance are one of my few options. Fortunately they are very comfortable.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
I love the Air Monarchs, extremely comfortable. Also found the Air Max LTD in all black, just as comfortable and more durable. Have tried the Reebok Patent leather Ref, not breathable but bearable; had to change the insole on these.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Yes I show them my IHSA Officials card (Illinois)
and then I show the mechanics for the team control foul followed by by the player control foul, when they get up off of the floor they give me 10%
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I like and wear Addidas. I have a pair of lows that are similar to their superstars but have patent leather on the back half. I also have a pair of mostly patent mids, but Chuck says they're ugly (see other shoe thread). I might go with the Reeboks next season. My crew is after me to conform and get the same shoes as them.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrash3
Yes I show them my IHSA Officials card (Illinois)
and then I show the mechanics for the team control foul followed by by the player control foul, when they get up off of the floor they give me 10%
I tried this technique at Foot Locker (I demonstrated a hand check call) and they charged me double.

Then they told me to "let them play" followed by the second most intelligent comment of "someone is going to get hurt out there if you don't start blowing your whistle." I reminded them that they were the only ones in the store wearing stripes but that only resulted in a "you're horrible" comment that sounded like Bill Walton.

Then I took a chance and told them that we now wear the gray shirts which are much more stylish but they said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and then complained that they worried that some of the clerks would wear stripes while others wore gray which would be too confusing.

Z
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

I've never tried that at Footlocker, but I did have a fan once tell me to go back to Footlocker. Maybe you should have tried filling out an application.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj
Then polish them w/ Leather Luster
I honestly find polished shoes to look terrible, so I just stick with my patents. Unless you're a pretty solid polisher or spend a lot of hours, I don't think it's worth the effort.

Looking at people's shoes at different camps, you can tell who polishes because most of them look blotchy. Since I'm assuming you're definitely doing your best to polish your shoes properly at camp, I just don't feel you can get a good look out of them.

Just my personal opinion and I know that many people believe otherwise! (I know a couple military guys whose shoes look perfect! I'm definitely not that good...I don't have time to do 100 push-ups everytime my shoes look bad to drill into me how to polish a shoe properly!)
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

I have wide feet too, so New Balance is my best option. I wear the 609s, which I really like. But after a couple of years, they polish up pretty blotchy. So when I catch somebody checking out my shoes, I stare at their pants and puke on their shoes. Nobody's said anything about the blotches since I started doing this
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Puke is a terrific add-on to polisher! The HCl from the stomach removes previously applied layers, so you're back to the original pleather...
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Puke is a terrific add-on to polisher! The HCl from the stomach removes previously applied layers, so you're back to the original pleather...
So, in reality, I'm doing them a favor.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I honestly find polished shoes to look terrible, so I just stick with my patents. Unless you're a pretty solid polisher or spend a lot of hours, I don't think it's worth the effort.

Looking at people's shoes at different camps, you can tell who polishes because most of them look blotchy. Since I'm assuming you're definitely doing your best to polish your shoes properly at camp, I just don't feel you can get a good look out of them.

Just my personal opinion and I know that many people believe otherwise! (I know a couple military guys whose shoes look perfect! I'm definitely not that good...I don't have time to do 100 push-ups everytime my shoes look bad to drill into me how to polish a shoe properly!)
The key is real leather.

My A3's look almost as shiny as patents and it takes like 2 minutes once a week with the 99 cent Brown's polish. Touch up with a marker, polish with the wand, buff with a sponge.