The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Who is your favorite ref or refs? It doesn't have to be recent or anything. The forum is running really slow so I just thought I would throw it out there.

I don't care whether it is an idol from your assosciation all the way up to the NBA. Everyone who officiates is fair game.

I will start off and I have a couple:

NBA: Sean Corbin for his professionalism, Zach Zarba for his age and his look, and Mike Callahan for his demeanor and height (I believe he is about 6' and that is how tall I am)

NCAA: I of course have quite a few in... you guessed it... the SEC. My mentor who I love is Jeff Smith an OVC official and a dang good official.

By the way keep your eyes out for two young guys by the names Marat Kogut and Kane Fitzgerald, they are on the up and up. You will probably see them in the SEC but not for long they will be working in the NBA I would have to say within 10 years.
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 09:17pm
Huck Finn

I will avoid the obvious choices that everyone knows. There is a guy out west by the name of Mike McWilliams. For whatever reason he didn't get his break, which has and will happen to a lot of deserving officials. This guy is a natural. Ability does not always get you on TV but AAR and Nevadaref will probably be able to back me up and say this guy is good.
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
There is a guy in our assosciation by the name of Shannon Cain who is a very good HighSchool and College Official. I've been to his games every time he has been around here and I was off. My first game he was my partner and we took my under his wings and I look up to him for that.

[Edited by brandan89 on Jun 2nd, 2005 at 02:32 AM]
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

NBA: Sean Corbin for his professionalism, Zach Zarba for his age and his look, and Mike Callahan for his demeanor and height (I believe he is about 6' and that is how tall I am)

I will second Sean Corbin (nothing wrong with Zarba or Callahan). I watch the officials during NBA games and I always enjoy watching games he officiates. Hope to see him in a Finals game.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
Who is your favorite ref or refs? It doesn't have to be recent or anything. The forum is running really slow so I just thought I would throw it out there.

I don't care whether it is an idol from your assosciation all the way up to the NBA. Everyone who officiates is fair game.

I will start off and I have a couple:

NCAA: I of course have quite a few in... you guessed it... the SEC. My mentor who I love is Jeff Smith an OVC official and a dang good official.

By the way keep your eyes out for two young guys by the names Marat Kogut and Kane Fitzgerald, they are on the up and up. You will probably see them in the SEC but not for long they will be working in the NBA I would have to say within 10 years.
RefTN

I agree with you, Marat is a good official, & he is also a good guy. We are in the same JUCO conference.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
[QUOTE]Originally posted by brianp134
Quote:
RefTN

I agree with you, Marat is a good official, & he is also a good guy. We are in the same JUCO conference.
He's also a decent magician
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
My favorite ref is Dan. He's the only one who ever buys me Diet Cokes.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
My favorite ref is Dan. He's the only one who ever buys me Diet Cokes.
And my favorite ref is Chuck. He's the only one that doesn't ask for a double shot of Jack with his diet coke.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 11:58am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

There's only one guy I'd rate above Earl Strom - Mendy Rudolph. He was the absolute poster boy for an NBA ref. His demeanor on the court just shouted professionalism.

In his book, Strom indicates Sid Borgia was the best ever, but I never saw him work.

I'd probably rate myself third.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Victor74

I will second Sean Corbin (nothing wrong with Zarba or Callahan). I watch the officials during NBA games and I always enjoy watching games he officiates. Hope to see him in a Finals game.
NBA: Dan Crawford, Mark Davis (HS alums), Joe Crawford, and Steve Jaffe.

College: Ed Hightower, Ted Valentine

Up and Comers: Kevin Dillard (awesome feel for the game, great flow and judgement)
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by brianp134
Quote:
RefTN

He's also a decent magician
Yes he is.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 12:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
There's only one guy I'd rate above Earl Strom - Mendy Rudolph. He was the absolute poster boy for an NBA ref. His demeanor on the court just shouted professionalism.

In his book, Strom indicates Sid Borgia was the best ever, but I never saw him work.

I saw all three of them in action. All great officials but I gotta agree with you about Rudolph being the best. He certainly was the most respected official of his era.

The difference between Rudolph and Borgia? When fans got on Rudolph, he used a little move where he'd kinda face them and wipe the sweat off of his forehead, with the middle finger sticking out of the wiping hand. When fans got on Borgia, he'd just turn around and tell them to "f**k off". I'm not sure which move I liked better.

My own, personal favorite official in the NBA was, and is, a guy called Manny Sokol. Worked back in the 70's and early 80's. Not one of the top officials at all, but he was as funny as hell to watch. He literally threw himself into every call. Didn't matter how routine the call was, Manny was gonna sell it big time. Imagine a punch-drunk ex-pug trying to referee a game while little birdies were flying by his head--that was Manny.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

NBA - Matt Boland. I don't watch the NBA, but we're both alums of the same high school.

NCAA - My favorites to work with were always Reggie Greenwood (who has one of the best on-court personalities ever) and Donnie Gray (with whom I worked last summer), both of whom live in the D.C. area.

On the women's side, one of my favorite to watch/work with is Bryan Burnette. Great crisp mechanics, his calls seem to be perfect, and he never draws attention to himself. (When a game is going to h***, the coaches usually are screaming at his partners, but say nothing to him.)
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 01:30pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

NBA: Strom, Bavetta, Corbin.

NCAA: Foxcroft, Honig. The other obvious choices too.

NFL: Hochuli. He really is the only choice. And everyone knows it.

NHL: Scapinello. As far as linesmen go, he re-wrote the book. I'd put him in the top 3 officials of all time, for any sport.

MLB: Don't know alot of these guys.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 01:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

My own, personal favorite official in the NBA was, and is, a guy called Manny Sokol. Worked back in the 70's and early 80's. Not one of the top officials at all, but he was as funny as hell to watch. He literally threw himself into every call. Didn't matter how routine the call was, Manny was gonna sell it big time. Imagine a punch-drunk ex-pug trying to referee a game while little birdies were flying by his head--that was Manny.
I remember Sokol. You are absolutely correct about his demeanor on the court. He was great fun to watch. I always thought of him as kind of a pudgy Daffy Duck.

BTW - how could I leave the Immortal Dave off the list? I guess this last lobotomy isn't taking hold.