The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 4.17 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 10:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Got my Tigers cap on tonight. Come on, Tigers!!
Take it off, ... or wear it inside-out ! ...Quickly !
And get the gum !
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Backbreaking error by Zumaya. Too bad. Good idea, I guess, but rushed it.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not sure it was a good idea. I still play softball, and it's been a couple of years () since I played baseball, but even I know to start the DP from 2nd to 1st. But the way Carpenter was pitching, it didn't mean much in the end anyway.

Now, I'm still amazed how they find these things out - but right after that happened, they came up with a stat that said the last time a 1-5-3 double play happened in the W.S. was in 1923.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 09:04am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
I think he was simply going for the lead runner.
Share the error with:
  • Inge for not covering his bag
  • Zumaya for not double-clutching
  • Monroe for allowing runner from first to score.
...Kids.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 09:19am
M.A.S.H.

Well until last night, Carpenter hadn't had a solid outting in the postseason. He was certainly due. I except Suppan to give the Redbirds another good start as well. But, you never know, that's why they play the games! Go Cards!
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Share the error with:
  • Inge for not covering his bag
  • Zumaya for not double-clutching
  • Monroe for allowing runner from first to score.
...Kids.
In all fairness to Inge, I'm not sure I can let him share in any of the blame. First, if I was him, I wouldn't really be expecting a throw. But he was by the bag; his feet were right next to the bag and he was diving/falling back to the shortstop side to try and get the throw, which was way off. So I think I can let him off the hook.

But, I do agree it took a long time for Monroe to finally get to the ball. I think even I might've been able to score from 1st in that amount of time.

And, I do also agree with you: kids. But Uncle Jimmy will get them back on the straight and narrow for game 4, right?

(Used with permission.)
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Share the error with: [*]Inge for not covering his bag
Even if Inge had been at 3rd base, he wouldn't have made the catch. It was way wild.

doggone it! someone always beats me to the really pithy observations!!
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That was my thought exactly, Mick. I didn't play a lot of organized baseball as a kid, but I remember "get the lead runner". Maybe that's what went through Zumaya's head, too.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 09:30am
M.A.S.H.

During last night's game, I had to make a quick trip to Wal-Mart. I found out that all the station's carrying the Cardinals Baseball Network were on ESPN Radio. What the hell happened? Does ESPN have exclusive radio rights to the World Series?
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That was my thought exactly, Mick. I didn't play a lot of organized baseball as a kid, but I remember "get the lead runner". Maybe that's what went through Zumaya's head, too.
It was such a sharply-hit grounder that it had "easy double play" written all over it. And the easiest D.P. to turn is the 2nd to 1st. If it had been hit slowly, maybe to one side of the mound, then I could see going after the lead runner. That's why I was surprised when I saw him turn to throw to 3rd.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 09:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
During last night's game, I had to make a quick trip to Wal-Mart. I found out that all the station's carrying the Cardinals Baseball Network were on ESPN Radio. What the hell happened? Does ESPN have exclusive radio rights to the World Series?
Yes, they've advertised from the beginning of the play-offs, "every pitch of every play-off game." But I thought there were a couple of instanses when games were played simultaneously, so I don't what they did on those ocassions.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 09:50am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Yes, they've advertised from the beginning of the play-offs, "every pitch of every play-off game." But I thought there were a couple of instanses when games were played simultaneously, so I don't what they did on those ocassions.
Grrrr! Yeah I wasn't too happy whenever I was expecting to hear Mike and John and I get the the crappy ESPN guys, John Miller and Joe Morgan.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 10:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
In all fairness to Inge, I'm not sure I can let him share in any of the blame. First, if I was him, I wouldn't really be expecting a throw. But he was by the bag; his feet were right next to the bag and he was diving/falling back to the shortstop side to try and get the throw, which was way off. So I think I can let him off the hook.

But, I do agree it took a long time for Monroe to finally get to the ball. I think even I might've been able to score from 1st in that amount of time.

And, I do also agree with you: kids. But Uncle Jimmy will get them back on the straight and narrow for game 4, right?
Horse pucky !
Inge (one of my favorites] moved late toward third eventhough there was a runner on 2nd.
Zumaya, seeing Inge not moving threw it to where Inge was, as Inge started his move .

Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical - Yogi Berra
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Horse pucky !
Thank you, Colonel Potter!
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Horse pucky !
Inge (one of my favorites] moved late toward third eventhough there was a runner on 2nd.
Zumaya, seeing Inge not moving threw it to where Inge was, as Inge started his move .
Well, monkey muffins!

I still put most of the blame on Zumaya, because the 1-5-3 DP isn't standard (hence the stat they found). If I were Inge, I wouldn't have been expecting a throw, unless the ball had been hit softer. Maybe part of the reason he wasn't there was because it was hit sharply, and he didn't have the time to get there yet.

I do know pitchers work on the 1-6-3 plays all the time, (and sometimes the 1-4-3, depending on the defensive alignment). It's so much easier for the pitcher to throw at 2nd base, and have the shortstop take the throw while their momentum is taking them towards 1st.

(Used with permission.)
Closed Thread