The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 4.17 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 10:04am
Lighten up, Francis.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2733168

Rangers bring Sammy home!! My Rangers are gonna ride Sammy Sosa to the World Series. Back where he started out, before Pres. Bush gave up on him.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 10:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapper1
Rangers bring Sammy home!! My Rangers are gonna ride Sammy Sosa to the World Series. Back where he started out, before Pres. Bush gave up on him.
Yup, ol' Sammy is on the prowl again. He's had a year away from those pesky damn testers to regain his....ah....bat speed. Should have it all out out of his system too before spring training and there still isn't a reliable test for HGH yet anyway. Yup, things are sure looking up for Sammy and your beloved Rangers.

And in other related news, Barry Bonds thinks that Pete Rose and Mark McGwire should be in the Hall of Fame.

Btw, I used to think that you were wise beyond your years and a Yankees fan. Guess I was completely wrong.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 08:43pm
In Memoriam

Yo, M&M...

This just in:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...021507.article

Yup, he's back on the PL(Prior List).

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 08:46pm.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Shouldn't this thread have been locked about 80 pages back? Take this to the general or baseball forum where it belongs.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 08:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Shouldn't this thread have been locked about 80 pages back? Take this to the general or baseball forum where it belongs.
Well, you've been locked completely four times so far and you keep coming back. I'd say that the odds are better that you'll disappear before this thread does.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 10:22pm
In Memoriam

Play nicely.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 03:15am
M.A.S.H.

The season hasn't even started and they are already saying "there's always next year."
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 09:25am
Lighten up, Francis.

Nobody mentioned it here, but Hank Bauer died a week or so ago. I didn't know that he'd been a Marine. He set a World Series record with a 17-game hitting streak. Pretty amazing player.

http://www.nbcsports.com/mlb/1018315/detail.html
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Shouldn't you volunteer to be a mod before throwing your advise around?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Since I'm perusing the board today anyway. . .

"Advise" is a verb. I think you were going for "advice". It's like I never left, isn't it?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Since I'm perusing the board today anyway. . .

"Advise" is a verb. I think you were going for "advice". It's like I never left, isn't it?
Actually no, it's quite a bit more pleasant without you around.

btw, some of the newer posters are wondering what this Chuck Elias thing is: myth, man, legend, part of a bad dream...please advize ASAP
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 11:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Yeah, you're just like jock itch. Just when you think it's gone.....
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Sign me up. I'd be more then happy to be a mod on this board.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 09:53pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Sign me up. I'd be more than happy to be a mod on this board.
PH for Mr. Annoying Spelling Guy....
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

A Tale of Two Games

I had a 8th grade season end tournament this weekend. I happen to be the assignor for this tournament. I reffed the third place game, which was played right before the championship game. It was great--two teams and coaches that demonstrated great sportsmanship. Everyone was having fun. At the end of the game, a boy hit two free throws with .6 left to send it to OT (my first of the year). A kid from the other team rimmed out a 3-pointer as time expired in OT, or we would have gone to a second OT. Nobody cried, pouted, complained. It was everything basketball should be, IMO.

I stuck around to watch the championship game. It was the complete opposite. The refs I assigned are both doing varsity high school semi-final games this year, top notch guys. They let the teams play a little, and are as consistent and mechanically solid as anyone. The coaches were jerks, the players were angry pouters, and the fans from both schools were just downright terrible. Watching from the stands, it made me want to quit reffing. Then I'm asking myself why I let this ruin the high from the third-place game. I have one more tournament next weekend, maybe it will leave a better taste in my mouth.

Is there really that much of a decrease in sporstmanship from year to year, or am I just letting the bad ones get to me?