The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 4.17 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I think we should blame Kenny Rogers for getting goop all over the ball the other day.

btw....big news out of the windy city today

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54216
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I think we should blame Kenny Rogers for getting goop all over the ball the other day.

btw....big news out of the windy city today

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54216

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 12:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker

doggone it! someone always beats me to the really pithy observations!!
Not true. You're noted for making pithy observations.
I can't begin to tell you how many times that I've heard "Well, that's another pithy observation from Rainmaker".

Feel better now, thithter?
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Well, monkey muffins!

I still put most of the blame on Zumaya, because the 1-5-3 DP isn't standard (hence the stat they found). If I were Inge, I wouldn't have been expecting a throw, unless the ball had been hit softer. Maybe part of the reason he wasn't there was because it was hit sharply, and he didn't have the time to get there yet.

I do know pitchers work on the 1-6-3 plays all the time, (and sometimes the 1-4-3, depending on the defensive alignment). It's so much easier for the pitcher to throw at 2nd base, and have the shortstop take the throw while their momentum is taking them towards 1st.
You know there were no outs in the inning, did anyone ever think about the possiblility of the TRIPLE PLAY! the batter did have a leg injury and can't get down the line so it was a good possiblility that is what he may of been thinking...probably wouldn't of gotten it, but still could of gotten two of the 3 anyways....
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I can't begin to tell you how many times that I've heard "Well, that's another pithy observation from Rainmaker".

Don't forget to tuck your whistle in your shirt while making a pithy observation
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 01:44pm
In Memoriam

Cubs fans

Quote:
Well, monkey muffins!

If I were Inge, I wouldn't have been expecting a throw, unless the ball had been hit softer. Maybe part of the reason he wasn't there was because it was hit sharply, and he didn't have the time to get there yet.
Oh, my ! Hit softly the only play is at 1B

Quote:
I do know pitchers work on the 1-6-3 plays all the time, (and sometimes the 1-4-3, depending on the defensive alignment). It's so much easier for the pitcher to throw at 2nd base, and have the shortstop take the throw while their momentum is taking them towards 1st.
Oh, my ! Who takes the throw depends on batter's side of the plate or batter's proclivity.

Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Oh, my ! Hit softly the only play is at 1B.
Maybe, but the ball was hit on the third base side of the mound. But, that's my whole point, Inge wasn't expecting the throw, so why should he hurry to get there?

Quote:
Oh, my ! Who takes the throw depends on batter's proclivity.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Look, I was just trying to help take one of those kids off the hook. And lord knows I certainly don't know how to behave as a fan of a team in a W.S.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 03:57pm
In Memoriam

more Cubs fans

Quote:
Maybe, but the ball was hit on the third base side of the mound. But, that's my whole point, Inge wasn't expecting the throw, so why should he hurry to get there?
Runners on first and second, no outs.
Ground ball anywhere (particularly left side) F5 momentum is moving toward (attacking) the ball.
By the time F1 has the ball, F5 is already moving in and must only vary his path slightly to get to 3B.

On only one of the three counts, (left-side, momentum and runner coming) Inge is normally there. He didn't have to be expecting the throw (certainly not the throw into left field), but he had to be there. Hadta be a bad jump and a brain cramp!

...And Monroe is out in left, ...just enjoying the game in the infield.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...And Monroe is out in left, ...just enjoying the game in the infield.
That's one we definitely agree on.

I was always taught as an outfielder to back up the infield, even on routine grounders. Do major leaguers feel they don't need to do that anymore? Maybe major leaguers don't make as many errors and mistakes as little leaguers, but do they not do it because they're told to not worry about it, or because kids these days just don't know some of the basics?

(Dang it, my old-fogey grumpiness is showing again...)

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 04:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
That's one we definitely agree on.

I was always taught as an outfielder to back up the infield, even on routine grounders. Do major leaguers feel they don't need to do that anymore? Maybe major leaguers don't make as many errors and mistakes as little leaguers, but do they not do it because they're told to not worry about it, or because kids these days just don't know some of the basics?

Let me say that C-Mo (Craig Monroe) is one of my favorites, too. Fine player.
He's watching and he sees the pitcher with the ball. Maybe he's already shading toward the area behind 2B where "just everyone knows" the ball is headed.

Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Don't forget to tuck your whistle in your shirt while making a pithy observation
I feel much better now. It's very sweet of you-all to be so, uh... encouraging?
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

RAIN delay in St. Louis!
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 07:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
RAIN delay in St. Louis!
Thank you, Wanda the Weather Woman.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you, Wanda the Weather Woman.
It looks like Wanda is forecasting rain again tonight as well, right Wanda?

I found out I know 2 different people that managed to get a ticket for last night's game, and made the 2 1/2 hr. drive down there, all for nothing. (They are both Cardinal fans, so my sympathy level isn't too high...) Anyway, just an interesting tidbit - I would've thought since they had game 4 tickets, that their makeup date would also be game 4 - tonight. But it's not, their makeup date for those tickets is actually Friday night's game, which was originally scheduled as a travel date. So, I would assume if tonight's game is rained out, those people might get a Sat. game in St. Louis, and then the games in Detroit would be moved to Sunday and Monday? Or would they skip Monday to not go up against Monday Night Football?

I'm glad I'm not in the scheduling business.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 09:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I found out I know 2 different people that managed to get a ticket for last night's game, and made the 2 1/2 hr. drive down there, all for nothing.
In 2-1/2 hours, I can get:
1/2-way to Green Bay
1/2-way to Duluth
1/2-way to Madison
1/2-way to the Lower Peninsula.

Closed Thread