The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 4.17 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 01:22pm
M.A.S.H.

By the way, if you missed or couldn't hear Bob Seger's performance because you were in a bar , it's certainly worth watching or worth watching again. Very moving, in my opinion.

Seger sings America the Beautiful
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ps...=ws&type=video

I've watched it twice, there seems to be an error for about 10 seconds. Somewhere around 1:35-1:45, I think.

Last edited by tjones1; Sun Oct 22, 2006 at 01:30pm.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Game 2, bottom of the first: Big BIG fly from Monroe. Good start, but didn't it start the same way last night? Better finish tonight, I hope.

What's with Polanco's ski cap? I bet everybody else in the dugout makes fun of him for it.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Nice catch by Monroe to end the 2nd! He's fun to watch. Looks like Kenny Rogers got caught cheating!!
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Nice catch by Monroe to end the 2nd! He's fun to watch. Looks like Kenny Rogers got caught cheating!!
I'm sure it was just tobacco juice.

Can you imagine how quickly Gaylord Perry's career would've ended if these cameras were around back then?

(Used with permission.)
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

A little hairy in the ninth inning. Jones gives up a run, and Molina gets to the plate, but holds on to tie up the Series at 1-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Can you imagine how quickly Gaylord Perry's career would've ended if these cameras were around back then?
Perry often claimed, after he retired, that the rumors about him cheating were mostly just rumors. He never disputed them, and even encouraged them, simply for the psychological effect on hitters. Who knows?
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Nice catch by Monroe to end the 2nd! He's fun to watch. Looks like Kenny Rogers got caught cheating!! ?
Quote:
I'm sure it was just tobacco juice.
I was a little baffled when Leyland said later that he didn't know the ump had talked to Rogers. Is that how they do it? Don't say anything to the head coach, errr, I mean manager?
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:32am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Looks like Kenny Rogers got caught cheating!!
Yup, I'd say so too. He claims it's dirt, however whenever they show two previous pictures from the ALDS and the ALCS with the same looking substance on the same spot, it's a little fishy.

Since he wasn't ejected, I doubt anyhting happens to him. But, it could be interesting come tomorrow. Time will tell.

Cardinals had a few chances and for only having a few and only getting beat by two runs, I've got to be somewhat happy with that. Back at it Tuesday!
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 06:55am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

..."Smudge to Pudge"
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 07:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
..."Smudge to Pudge"
A Major League pitcher applying a little dirt/resin/vaseline to the ball?

Nope, never happen.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 10:48am
In Memoriam

Cool

"I've seen some Michigan plates here," said Erich Smith, general manager of the Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark in downtown St. Louis. "But I couldn't make out the numbers because of the pine tar on them," .... -detnews.com
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"I've seen some Michigan plates here," said Erich Smith, general manager of the Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark in downtown St. Louis. "But I couldn't make out the numbers because of the pine tar on them," .... -detnews.com
See what I mean? St. Louis fans are all smartazzes!

mick - what can you tell about Trammell? Since he's now part of Lou's staff with my Cubbies, I'm worried about the whole 119-loss season karma being transfered over, but I heard he's a good guy?

(Used with permission.)

Last edited by M&M Guy; Tue Oct 24, 2006 at 10:53am.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 11:05am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Good way to start the morning!
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 11:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
See what I mean? St. Louis fans are all smartazzes!

mick - what can you tell about Trammell? Since he's now part of Lou's staff with my Cubbies, I'm worried about the whole 119-loss season karma being transfered over, but I heard he's a good guy?
I've told this story before, M&M.
Before Trammell retired, he was snowmobiling in the U.P. and stopped at a hotel where I was staying. I saw him, Gibson, and Tommy Brookens (3B) eating dinner, but didn't want to bother them. [Nobody did, in fact]

At one point Trammell and I were alone in the lobby and I went over and introduced myself and I thanked him for doing what he did.

That evening my wife and I were shooting cribbage in the lobby and Gibson sat down and beat my wife by 6 points.

The next morning, I was in the lobby having some coffee, their crew was down there when Trammell came down the steps and said, "Good morning, Mick."
How he remembered my name is beyond me, but I am forever impressed.

The Tigers players indicated that he did not enforce discipline in the clubhouse, but I imagine he didn't think he should have to discipline players because he had self-discipline and figgered that his players had the same. He is loyal to his players and by golly knows the game. He will be the bench coach, I understand, and will help infielder. Trammell's bench coach was Gibson. Maybe he failed in Detroit because he was too nice.

I think he's very nice and the City of Detroit gave him a fine welcome on Sunday. ...Wrong manager at the wrong time.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That evening my wife and I were shooting cribbage in the lobby...
Don't you need a special license for that??

Thanks for the info. I know he's a respected figure U.P. there, but I hadn't followed the team and situation too closely. Maybe he and Lou will do the "good cop/bad cop" thing with the team?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Got my Tigers cap on tonight. Come on, Tigers!!