The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 4.17 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Tonight's starting pitchers in the Mets/Cards game have combined for 8 wins on the season! Reyes was 5-8 on the season and Perez was 3-13. It's the worst combined winning percentage for starting pitchers in a postseason game EVER! Each team has had 2 runners on base in each half inning, although there's still no score.

Last edited by ChuckElias; Sun Oct 15, 2006 at 07:43pm.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Mets blow it open.

Funny football note of the week. The Broncos are favored by 15 over the Raiders tonight. But the Broncos are only scoring 12.2 points per game this season! Raiders are stinking up the joint, so Denver may actually cover.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Funny football note of the week.
Take your 0ff-topic posts somewhere else, willya??

Geeze...
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Take your 0ff-topic posts somewhere else, willya??

Geeze...
There's a football thread somewhere, but I'm trying to get the 1,000th post in this thread.

Where's the "who's buying the diet cokes?" thread?

(Got the directions, BTW. Thanks)
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

(Got the directions, BTW. Thanks)
Did I mention I have a problem disguishing right from left? Good luck,
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did I mention I have a problem disguishing right from left?
In that case, I'll see you at 7.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 10:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Mets blow it open.

Funny football note of the week. The Broncos are favored by 15 over the Raiders tonight. But the Broncos are only scoring 12.2 points per game this season! Raiders are stinking up the joint, so Denver may actually cover.
Ended up 13-3. Denver stays near their average and Oakland beats the spread.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 05:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Ended up 13-3. Denver stays near their average and Oakland beats the spread.
Unfortunately, the spread might be the only thing the Raiders (2nd favorite team) beats.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Carlos Delgado had 5 RBIs last night, giving him 9 for the LCS. That ties him for the Mets' team record for most RBIs in an entire series. And there are still at least 2 more games to go!
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 08:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Carlos Delgado had 5 RBIs last night, giving him 9 for the LCS. That ties him for the Mets' team record for most RBIs in an entire series. And there are still at least 2 more games to go!
Or it ties the Cardinals with the most inept pitching in a Met's LCS ?
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

This one completly slipped by me, untill I read about it today - did you see Steve Lyons was fired by Fox for his "comments about Lou Pinella's heritage" after game 3 of the ALCS? I wondered what eggregious comments I missed; maybe I was by the fridge getting another brownpop, or maybe I was taking (leaving?...depositing?...) a dump? Anyway, from CBS Sportsline.com:

"In the second inning of Friday's game between Detroit and Oakland, Piniella talked about the success light-hitting A's infielder Marco Scutaro had in the first round of the playoffs. Piniella said that slugger Frank Thomas and Eric Chavez needed to contribute, comparing Scutaro's production to finding a "wallet on Friday" and hoping it happened again the next week.

Later, Piniella said the A's needed Thomas to get "en fuego" -- hot in Spanish -- because he was currently "frio" -- or cold. After Brennaman praised Piniella for being bilingual, Lyons spoke up.

Lyons said that Piniella was "hablaing Espanol" -- butchering the conjugation for the word "to speak" -- and added, "I still can't find my wallet."

"I don't understand him, and I don't want to sit too close to him now," Lyons continued.

Fox executives told Lyons after the game he had been fired."

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
This one completly slipped by me, untill I read about it today - did you see Steve Lyons was fired by Fox for his "comments about Lou Pinella's heritage" after game 3 of the ALCS? I wondered what eggregious comments I missed; maybe I was by the fridge getting another brownpop, or maybe I was taking (leaving?...depositing?...) a dump? Anyway, from CBS Sportsline.com:

"In the second inning of Friday's game between Detroit and Oakland, Piniella talked about the success light-hitting A's infielder Marco Scutaro had in the first round of the playoffs. Piniella said that slugger Frank Thomas and Eric Chavez needed to contribute, comparing Scutaro's production to finding a "wallet on Friday" and hoping it happened again the next week.

Later, Piniella said the A's needed Thomas to get "en fuego" -- hot in Spanish -- because he was currently "frio" -- or cold. After Brennaman praised Piniella for being bilingual, Lyons spoke up.

Lyons said that Piniella was "hablaing Espanol" -- butchering the conjugation for the word "to speak" -- and added, "I still can't find my wallet."

"I don't understand him, and I don't want to sit too close to him now," Lyons continued.

Fox executives told Lyons after the game he had been fired."
Yeah, these types of comments are pretty tame said among friends sitting in a bar or a locker room. Problem is they were said to not a handful of people but to a couple-dozen million people, no telling what type of response you would get back. Of course, it could also be that Piniella didn't like Lyons to begin with, took offense and told Fox either he goes or I go....

Anyways, pretty damn stupid thing to say on TV if you ask me.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, these types of comments are pretty tame said among friends sitting in a bar or a locker room. Problem is they were said to not a handful of people but to a couple-dozen million people, no telling what type of response you would get back. Of course, it could also be that Piniella didn't like Lyons to begin with, took offense and told Fox either he goes or I go....

Anyways, pretty damn stupid thing to say on TV if you ask me.
Maybe it was stupid. But it didn't strike me right away as an attack on Pinella's heritage. Maybe an attack (albeit good-naturedly) on his integrety. Of course, the article goes on to mention a couple of other Lyons' gaffes, so maybe this was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. (Oops - will I get PETA mad at me for saying that insensitive remark?...)

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Maybe it was stupid. But it didn't strike me right away as an attack on Pinella's heritage. Maybe an attack (albeit good-naturedly) on his integrety.
Yeah, that's how it sounds to me...but again you never know what will fly back at you when the PC crowd grabs ahold of these types of things. Fox did the smart thing in over-reacting IMO.
Quote:
Of course, the article goes on to mention a couple of other Lyons' gaffes, so maybe this was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. (Oops - will I get PETA mad at me for saying that insensitive remark?...)
I'm organizing a mass demonstration even as we speak. What color do you want us to spray paint your SUV...choices are neon green or taxi cab yellow, our experience is either of these go well with flat-black windshield.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 02:20pm
M.A.S.H.

Well I was at Game 4 of the NLCS. Great time, except for the out come! The Mets sure did poor it on us, though. Hopefully we can come back tonight. The winner of this game (game 5) is going to go to the WS.
Closed Thread