The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 4.17 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
As for pitching, Tanyon Sturtze is done for the year and Carl Pavano never threw a pitch this year- and won't. Other than that, everything is going fine.
Let's see, a couple of pitchers hurt and one of them hasn't even thrown a pitch this year...where have I heard that song before? The Cubs have started 5 different pitchers this year where it's their first major league appearance.

Need an assistant for your new coaching gig? I think I (vaguely) understand what offsides is.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 01:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Need an assistant for your new coaching gig? I think I (vaguely) understand what offsides is.
Guess what the traditional meal is in Togo after a loss?

Assistant coaches....

And in today's games:

Bunch of Furriners- 3
USA-0

And France surrendered right after their game started.......
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 02:24pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

Assistant coaches....

And in today's games:

Bunch of Furriners- 3
USA-0

We couldn't even beat those Furriners after we beat up their star player and sent him to the hospital...pretty sad!
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Assistant coaches....

And in today's games:

Bunch of Furriners- 3
USA-0

Oops, I just remembered - I have to count my paper clips. Sorry I won't be able to help you this time.

The only reason I'm watching this year is to see if Brandi Chastain takes off her shirt again!

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 02:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
We couldn't even beat those Furriners after we beat up their star player and sent him to the hospital...pretty sad!
Not to worry......Bush has already made plans to invade the winner.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Why do we even have Julian Tavarez on the roster? Good gracious, that was as painful as it was predictable.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 06:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Why do we even have Julian Tavarez on the roster?
To throw at people now that Pedro is gone?

Um.....how do you feel about letting Pedro get away now btw? Miss him? How about Bronson Arroyo? D'ya think you coulda maybe have used him this year?
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Speaking of throwing at people - did anyone hear the story about the White Sox/Rangers game last night? I guess A.J. Pierzynski got hit twice earlier in the game, and both benches were warned in the 4th. Then, with the White Sox down 6-0, Ozzie sends in a recently called-up pitcher, Sean Tracey, in the 7th to face Hank Blalock, and gets him to ground out. Ozzie then comes out and replaces Tracey, then proceeds to go back to the dugout and rip into Tracey, yelling at him and throwing water bottles around, and Tracey is just sitting there pulling his jersey up over his head. Apparently Ozzie was mad because he had ordered Tracey to hit Blalock, and he didn't get it done. Now the rumor is Tracey is being sent back to AAA after just being called up last week.

Hmm, so, John Chaney gets ripped for sending one of his players out to do something to a player on the other team, but Ozzie gets a pass?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

The Standard

Ugh John Cheney is a college coach. Ugh his player injured another player. In professional baseball throwing at each other is considered to be part of the "game". The colleges still serve up the development of young athletes into fine young adults blather....
Not that I believe that very much anymore.
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Hmm, so, John Chaney gets ripped for sending one of his players out to do something to a player on the other team, but Ozzie gets a pass?
Yeah, I saw that on SportsCenter this morning. While I don't approve of throwing at people (and even less of ordering someone else to do it), I think this is a little different from the Chaney incident. First of all, it's a difference between pro's vs. collegiate athletes. Second, hitting someone in retaliation is a long-standing tradition in baseball, like it or not. Third, hitting a guy in the backside isn't going to injure the guy; unlike sending a big guy to knock down an opponent on the court.

I would not complain, however, if Ozzie were disciplined somehow.
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I think this is a little different from the Chaney incident.
I may (grudgingly) agree with you on that point, but I'm not sure it's too far apart. Now, maybe it's still to early to say Ozzie's getting a pass, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. But hazing in college is also a long-standing tradition, so does that make it acceptable?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Hazing

This link might point out some of the more obvious differences betwwen grown men participating in a sport versus hazing.

http://www.stophazing.org/laws.html

I am thinking it is about context. When I hang with my adult male friends my language is a little different than when I am around young ladies that I coach in tennis.

Ozzies wanting something to be done is not the same as hazing or the injuring of a college student athlete.

Wasn't it Cheney who threatened to kill another coach ?
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 11:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I guess A.J. Pierzynski got hit twice earlier in the game, and both benches were warned in the 4th.
Geeze, it was just Pierzynski. Hell, everybody throws at him. People take time out of their normal every-day routine(hello there, nameless Cubbie catcher ) to take a punch at him. Presidents throwing a ceremonial first pitch try to hit him in the head. Pitchers ask to be traded from the National to the American League so that they can throw at him again. The guy is a hemorrhoid.

Now if Woods or Prior throw at him......

Or.... if Woods or Prior throw at anybody.....

Or..... if Woods or Prior ever throw a baseball......

Now, that would be news!

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 11:17am.
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Geeze, it was just Pierzynski. Hell, everybody throws at him. People take time out of their normal every-day routine(hello there, nameless Cubbie catcher ) to take a punch at him. Presidents throwing a ceremonial first pitch try to hit him in the head. Pitchers ask to be traded from the National to the American League so that they can throw at him again. The guy is a hemorrhoid.
Pierzynski is the Bill Lambeer of baseball. If he's on your team, you love him. If he's not on your team, he's the worst jerk that ever lived, he's a cancer to the sport, he's a scum-suckin' lowlife, he's a...er,...um...oh, never mind. You know what I mean.

Quote:
Now if Woods or Prior throw at him......

Or.... if Woods or Prior throw at anybody.....

Or..... if Woods or Prior ever throw a baseball......

Now, that would be news!
Hey, careful now, I see that the "Injury Karma Bus" has been through N.Y. as well. And Prior just got done doing a couple of minor-league rehab starts, so there's a chance he might pitch Sunday against mick's Tigers.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 12:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
1) Pierzynski is the Bill Lambeer of baseball. If he's on your team, you love him.

2) Hey, careful now, I see that the "Injury Karma Bus" has been through N.Y. as well.
1) I don't think Laimbeer was ever loved in Detroit. He was tolerated. You know- like a vaginal wart.

2) The big difference though is that the Yankees' injured players might actually play again some time.

Back to England vs. Trinidad&Tobago. The excellence, the excitement, the sheer drama....
Closed Thread