The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

shot clock questions

Our AAU club is hosting a Super Regional this weekend, which requires the use of a 30-second shot clock. We have to provide clock operators for each game, but since our high schools do not use a shot clock we don’t have any experienced shot clock operators.

I plan to print a “cheat sheet” to keep at the table, to help the clock operators. Under NCAA Women’s rules, is the following correct?

Reset to 30 seconds when:
• A shot hits the rim
• The defense commits a foul
• The defense gains team or player control
• The defense “kicks” the ball, with > 15 seconds remaining on shot clock. (Reset to 15 seconds if the defense “kicks” with 15 seconds or less remaining on the shot clock.)

Do not reset the shot clock if the defense deflects the ball out-of-bounds.

Question: does the shot clock reset when a *shot* hits the rim, or anytime the ball hits the rim? In other words, do we get a reset if a *pass* hits the rim?
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 08:03am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsref
Our AAU club is hosting a Super Regional this weekend, which requires the use of a 30-second shot clock. We have to provide clock operators for each game, but since our high schools do not use a shot clock we don’t have any experienced shot clock operators.

I plan to print a “cheat sheet” to keep at the table, to help the clock operators. Under NCAA Women’s rules, is the following correct?

• A shot hits the rim
• The defense “kicks” the ball, with > 15 seconds remaining on shot clock. (Reset to 15 seconds if the defense “kicks” with 15 seconds or less remaining on the shot clock.)

Question: does the shot clock reset when a *shot* hits the rim, or anytime the ball hits the rim? In other words, do we get a reset if a *pass* hits the rim?
Reset shot clock when
  • a Legitamate shot attempt hits the rim
  • on a foul by either team
  • in the event of a held ball
  • when the defense gains team or player control
  • 30 second shot does not get reset in the event of a kicked ball when >15 seconds it stays where it is. If under 15 seconds it resets to 15.

That is the simplest guidelines I use for my shot clock operators. And they should keep an eye on you for a signal if you think the clock needs reset.

Smoke

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsref
Under NCAA Women’s rules, is the following correct?

• A shot hits the rim
Correct

Quote:
Mostly correct. If only the defense commits a foul (personal or technical), then the shot clock is reset. If there is a double foul or simultaneous foul, and team control exists, then play resumes at the POI with no reset of the shot clock.

Quote:
Correct.

Quote:
Half correct. There is no reset if the defense kicks the ball with 15 or more seconds showing on the shot clock. If there are fewer than 15 seconds at the time of the kick, then the clock is reset to 15.

Quote:
Correct.

Quote:
No reset. The clock resets when a try hits the rim. And remember that it doesn't start until player control is gained.

Also remember that there is no reset if there is a held ball when team control exists, if the arrow favors the offensive team. (If there's no team control, then reset it, even if the arrow is pointing toward the offensive team.)

All this is to say, prepare yourselves for a nightmare, since you don't have anybody who already knows this. Sorry.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Another point. On a held ball, only reset if the arrow is pointing to the defensvie team.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Half correct. There is no reset if the defense kicks the ball with 15 or more seconds showing on the shot clock. If there are fewer than 15 seconds at the time of the kick, then the clock is reset to 15.
Hlaf correct.

If the clock shows greater than 15, leave it. If the clock shows 15 or less, reset to 15.

(Note that this is the same issue as "is it a shot clock violation at 25 or 24 seconds")
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Yikes, you’re right – this can get confusing to non-officials. I used to do PIAA HS games, so at least I understand your terminology when we speak of rules. That won’t be the case for most of my workers.

In the spirit of KISS (ignoring the slim chance of double/simultaneous fouls), here is what I’ll print:

• A shot hits the rim

Reset to 15 seconds when:
• The defense “kicks” the ball with 15 seconds or less remaining on the shot clock.

Do not reset the shot clock:
• If the defense deflects the ball out-of-bounds.
• The defense “kicks” the ball with > 15 seconds on the shot clock
• On a held ball with team control (i.e. not on a rebound), if the arrow is pointing to the offensive team

Thanks all for your help!
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

That's a pretty good summary. Good luck
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Hlaf correct.

If the clock shows greater than 15, leave it. If the clock shows 15 or less, reset to 15.

(Note that this is the same issue as "is it a shot clock violation at 25 or 24 seconds")
Half correct again!

You do not *reset* the shot clock to 15 on a kick violation, you *set* it to 15 if it shows 15 or less.

*Reset* means you set it to it's original, full time.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

What if you had a kick and set the shot clock to 15, and then 5 seconds after the throw-in, you get another kick? Wouldn't that be a re-set?
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
What if you had a kick and set the shot clock to 15, and then 5 seconds after the throw-in, you get another kick? Wouldn't that be a re-set?
OK, sure, it would be re-set.

But not reset.