The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 15, 2000, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Jim,

After looking at this play, I tend to agree with the eReferee comment that there should have been TWO technicals issued. It was not only the placing the ball on the floor, but how it was done. Red #4 specifically approached Gold #12 and put the ball at his feet, then when straightening up looked at #12 and (seemingly) made a quick comment before walking away. Gold #12 then reacted by pushing/kicking (wasn't much of a kick, really) the ball toward Red #4, thus getting the "T." Seeing the whole play, as suggested, the ref would have seen how Red #4 started things--not a major taunt, true, but if you're going to ring up #12, then probably should have gotten #4 also, to make the point to BOTH players that such behavior won't be tolerated.

[This message has been edited by Todd VandenAkker (edited March 15, 2000).]
Old Wed Mar 15, 2000, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Dixon
eReferee's comments:

"Milton Carter calls a foul on the shot and Rich Almstedt follows up with a technical after a player kicks the ball in the Denton Ryan-Dallas Madison 4A Championship Game. (3.2MB)

This play poses a tough situation for the officials. There is a great no call on the shot by Red #20. His teammate secures the ball and drives to the basket where he scores and is fouled, setting up a three-point opportunity. Red #4 subsequently places the ball and taunts Gold #12, who then kicks the ball at Red #4. The official correctly calls Gold #12 with a technical foul, but fails to penalize Red #4 for his actions. Taunting and baiting should never be tolerated. Someone on the crew must see the entire action. Again, this occurred during a dead ball period. Officials must maintain a high-level of concentration when the ball is not live."

My comments:

I somewhat disagree with eReferee’s comments. This is marginal taunting, and Red #4 only placed the ball on the floor. It is a stretch to attribute taunting to this action, but other actions within the course of the game may have made this judgment necessary. Thus, that both players should be penalized if any penalty is going to be given would be excessive.

I agree with Almstedt that only Gold #12 should be penalized with a technical foul. It was a definite kick of the ball toward Red #4, and it made contact with his legs.

Could the kick have been overlooked? Probably not, but only in the course of the game could such a decision be made. Many things may have happened between the two teams or involving these particular players that could have constituted just cause for penalizing them for their actions. Thus, only the referees on the floor are in a position to decide the criticality of whether or not to make such a call.

Jim Dixon
Old Wed Mar 15, 2000, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

After reviewing the play, i have to agree with Todd. While the action by Red 4 by itself wouldn't warrant a T. the result of the whole play should warrant a T on both players.

[This message has been edited by Bart Tyson (edited March 15, 2000).]
Old Wed Mar 15, 2000, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

There are several other things to ponder about this play. From the view of the video, it appears to be a quick whistle, maybe if hold the whistle could have been just another good play. Also, no comunication by the officials after the T was called. I think the official calling the T, could have stop to communicate to the other official, sense he walked right passed him, if for no other reason then to point out to keep an eye on the two players. Also, the demeanor of the official after his partner called the T was interesting.